Ok guess i missed this one 503 vs 590

Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Ok guess i missed this one - SWU 503 vs 590

Sorry if this was posted before, i didn't find it with the search or see it. With the 503 SWU i could always extend past the expiration date of the cert. With the 590 SWU aka Global Upgrade Cert travel must be completed before expiration. I was over by 3 days by the expiration date and couldn't use a SWU 590 because it expired 3 days before.

Last edited by MNAudiS4; Jan 1, 2015 at 7:19 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are you talking about? From the thread title, I assumed that you had missed status for next year by a flight posting as 503 rather than 590 miles.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are you talking about? From the thread title, I assumed that you had missed status for next year by a flight posting as 503 rather than 590 miles.
Sorry i updated my original post a little i was talking in terms of the different of the two SWU certs they offer or now the Global Upgrade Certs 590 can't be extended past expiration date. Where the 503's could.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah, with the new upgrade certificates, travel must be completed before the certificate expires.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

2. Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue; all travel must be complete prior to certificate expiration date. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not that the old SWUs could be extended but rather that their expiration date referred to the date of ticket reissue confirming the upgrade, which often in practice meant that the upgrade needed to clear before expiration. For the new GUCs/RUCs, you must fly the segments upgraded with the cert before it expires.

BTW, the old rules still apply to existing old SWUs, right?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Sorry if this was posted before, i didn't find it with the search or see it. With the 503 SWU i could always extend past the expiration date of the cert. With the 590 SWU aka Global Upgrade Cert travel must be completed before expiration. I was over by 3 days by the expiration date and couldn't use a SWU 590 because it expired 3 days before.
This was noticed in the original thread discussing GUCs and a few times subsequently. Sorry you got burned by it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.