Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2015 Pay With Miles (PWM) Now Earns MQM, MQS, Partial MQD

Old Dec 24, 14, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL

For travel on or after January 1, 2015 (regardless of ticket purchase date): Pay with Miles tickets are eligible for MQMs and MQSs. In addition, Pay with Miles tickets will earn mileage and MQDs for the portion of the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges remaining that is paid in currency after miles are applied to the ticket total.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-miles.html

I noticed this today, it changed sometime in the past week. Sorry if it's been posted.
Old Dec 24, 14, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Excellent! Before, only biz tix were eligible for earnings with PWM, but it's good to see economy fares qualifying now as well.
Old Dec 24, 14, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
This is awesome news!
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I agree that this is great news. I think DL really wants to shrink their RDM liability.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I agree that this is great news. I think DL really wants to shrink their RDM liability.
yep....this. but also great news!
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL GM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't be a dummy. Don't PWM.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-miles.html

I noticed this today, it changed sometime in the past week. Sorry if it's been posted.
Paid in currency? That's an odd rule. Does DL really want people to bring bills (paper money) and coins to ticket offices just so that the part of PWM tickets paid with money earns miles?
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, SPG - GM, Hertz - PC
I am sure they mean that MQD are only earned on paid dollars, not on ones redeemed with miles.
Would be interesting to see how they break down the MQMs though...
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by LilRobb View Post
I am sure they mean that MQD are only earned on paid dollars, not on ones redeemed with miles.
Would be interesting to see how they break down the MQMs though...
I've used PWM a number of times on F and J tickets this past year. MQMs are the same as if you paid with cash (or CC, money order, cashier's check, etc.). The MQDs, in my case have been pretty tiny seeing as how I usually end up paying less than $100 for most of the tickets. But, MQD's don't mean much to me. I need to maximize MQMs.
Old Dec 25, 14, 12:22 am

Silvers lose upgrade status when using PWM.

Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on Pay with Miles tickets are limited to Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members, are subject to availability, and may not be eligible on all flights.
Old Dec 25, 14, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
Don't be a dummy. Don't PWM.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the option ... the value proposition in any given instance depends on the ticket price and the availability of award inventory, especially for the ability to do partial pay
Old Dec 25, 14, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by mhop1027 View Post
Silvers lose upgrade status when using PWM.
Silver's are now the red headed step child and the kettles are visitors.
Old Dec 25, 14, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
If you choose to pay for a fare with both miles and a credit card, you must use an eligible Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express.

Still - excellent news-
Old Dec 25, 14, 5:52 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
If you choose to pay for a fare with both miles and a credit card, you must use an eligible Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express.

Still - excellent news-
As always, if you live abroad and cannot obtain a Delta Amex, you cannot take advantage of the option.
Old Dec 25, 14, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
As always, if you live abroad and cannot obtain a Delta Amex, you cannot take advantage of the option.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...rnational.html

If you have a Delta credit card issued in Germany, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Guam, Canada, Brazil, Germany, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, or El Salvador, then you can also use PWM.

Interestingly enough, in my experience, internationally, paying for any residual amount can be done with ANY credit card. You only need to be a cardholder to trigger the benefit.

I think it's great to be able to get MQM on PWM fares, and it looks like we're entitled to the distance flown no matter what. Gives great potential for non-US travelers to do some mileage/MQM runs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: