Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2015 Pay With Miles (PWM) Now Earns MQM, MQS, Partial MQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Pay With Miles (PWM) Now Earns MQM, MQS, Partial MQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by jrl767
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the option ... the value proposition in any given instance depends on the ticket price and the availability of award inventory, especially for the ability to do partial pay
This ^
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Wow, a real enhancement? ^
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jrl767
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the option ... the value proposition in any given instance depends on the ticket price and the availability of award inventory, especially for the ability to do partial pay
Disagree. $0.01 is a poor value for miles. Regular award redemptions might be even worse in some scenarios, but that doesn't change the fact that PWM sucks too. Just pay cash for those tickets.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

I think it's great to be able to get MQM on PWM fares, and it looks like we're entitled to the distance flown no matter what. Gives great potential for non-US travelers to do some mileage/MQM runs.
Is that the case? I read the DL blurb quoted in post 1 as that they pro-rate both the M's and the D's. So if you pay $600 cash toward a $1000 ticket that would otherwise earn 2000 MQM, and use PWM for the remaining $400, DL would pro-rate the MQM's and MQD's by 60%: you would end up receiving only $600 MQD and 1200 MQM (60% of $1000 and 2000 miles).

Certainly better than the 0 and 0 Y tickets had been getting, of course.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
This is looking into the eye of the end of Skymiles. All redemptions in the future will be based on this model.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tkey75
All redemptions in the future will be based on this model.
They're almost certainly slowly working to make all accrual and redemption options cost-based.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Is that the case? I read the DL blurb quoted in post 1 as that they pro-rate both the M's and the D's. So if you pay $600 cash toward a $1000 ticket that would otherwise earn 2000 MQM, and use PWM for the remaining $400, DL would pro-rate the MQM's and MQD's by 60%: you would end up receiving only $600 MQD and 1200 MQM (60% of $1000 and 2000 miles).

Certainly better than the 0 and 0 Y tickets had been getting, of course.
This is from DL's web so where does it say that MQMs will be pro-rated? I do think that pro-rating SM for BE/D1 tickets is new.

"For travel on or after January 1, 2015 (regardless of ticket purchase date): Pay with Miles tickets are eligible for MQMs and MQSs. In addition, Pay with Miles tickets will earn mileage and MQDs for the portion of the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges remaining that is paid in currency after miles are applied to the ticket total."
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Interesting... I was playing with a Y fare for 2015, and looking at the MQD's decrease as I elected to pay more and more with miles. In this case the fare was 746.20 and it showed I would earn 4834 MQM if no PWM, and the same MQM all the way until I applied 70,000 miles leaving a balance of 46.20 due. At that point it showed no MQM earned. If I move back to 65,000 or less PWM it shows 4824 MQM earned. So no MQM if you pay for the whole thing?

PS, I agree 1 cent value is not good for skymiles but I do like having the option on coach fares.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Interesting... I was playing with a Y fare for 2015, and looking at the MQD's decrease as I elected to pay more and more with miles. In this case the fare was 746.20 and it showed I would earn 4834 MQM if no PWM, and the same MQM all the way until I applied 70,000 miles leaving a balance of 46.20 due. At that point it showed no MQM earned. If I move back to 65,000 or less PWM it shows 4824 MQM earned. So no MQM if you pay for the whole thing?

PS, I agree 1 cent value is not good for skymiles but I do like having the option on coach fares.
Yes, that is the way that is has been working for premium cabin PWM fares. You had to pay for some portion of the base fare with money, even if just $1, to get any MQM credit for the flight.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Just did a dummy booking. SLC-LAX for 2015.
Fare $130. RDM's earned 1111. MQM's earned 1180. MQD's $101.
With PWM 10K miles & $30. RDM's 10. MQM's 1180. MQD's 2.
Had the fare been $128, You will earn 0 MQD's

Dont forget that part of the remaining fare is taxes for which you earn no MQD's.
So even on some PWM fares that you may pay some in $, all of that may be in taxes. No MQD's earned.

Last edited by henwood; Dec 26, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by Xeno
This is from DL's web so where does it say that MQMs will be pro-rated? I do think that pro-rating SM for BE/D1 tickets is new.

"For travel on or after January 1, 2015 (regardless of ticket purchase date): Pay with Miles tickets are eligible for MQMs and MQSs. In addition, Pay with Miles tickets will earn mileage and MQDs for the portion of the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges remaining that is paid in currency after miles are applied to the ticket total."
I read the prepositional phrase "for the portion of the base fare..." in the second sentence as applying to BOTH MQM's and MQD's. If the intent was to give 100% MQM and pro-rate only the MQD's, an additional qualifier should have been used, such as:
...Pay With Miles tickets will earn 100% MQM's but MQD's will be pro-rated by the portion of the base fare...
Maybe it's just a poorly-worded sentence, and the intent is 100% MQM and pro-rated MQD's. I did a dummy booking for ATL-BOS on 12/30 in D-class and got the same number of MQM (1419) regardless of the PWM amount. The MQD's varied.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by henwood
Just did a dummy booking. SLC-LAX for 2015.
Fare $130. RDM's earned 1111. MQM's earned 1180. MQD's $101.
With PWM 10K miles & $30. RDM's 10. MQM's 1180. MQD's 10.
Had the fare been $128, You will earn 0 MQD's

Dont forget that part of the remaining fare is taxes for which you earn no MQD's.
So even on some PWM fares that you may pay some in $, all of that may be in taxes. No MQD's earned.
For a DM, shouldn't RDMs = 11 X MQDs? Your example has MQD = 10 and RDM = 10.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For a DM, shouldn't RDMs = 11 X MQDs? Your example has MQD = 10 and RDM = 10.
Sorry, I fixed my own mistake. It was only $2 MQD's.

Yes I would think it should and it may post that way in the end.
But it showed $2 for earned MQD's and 10 RDM's. That is 5X.
That does not compute either. Delta IT, go figure.
There may be some rounding of numbers going on for estimating purposes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
PWM says can't earn miles?

Am I missing something. I'm pretty sure that with the new 2015 SM program we can earn MQM's and still eligible for upgrades.

I just looked at booking a trip in 3 weeks and this is what is displayed at the bottom, should I choose to PWM.

Computer Glitch?

Pay with miles

You've selected a Pay With Miles-eligible itinerary. Economy Class tickets purchased using Pay With Miles are not eligible for mileage accrual and may not be eligible for Upgrades. Upgrade with Miles tickets, and BusinessElite®, First and Business Class tickets purchased using Pay With Miles are eligible for mileage accrual.

these are V and X fares
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Am I missing something. I'm pretty sure that with the new 2015 SM program we can earn MQM's and still eligible for upgrades.

I just looked at booking a trip in 3 weeks and this is what is displayed at the bottom, should I choose to PWM.

Computer Glitch?

Pay with miles

You've selected a Pay With Miles-eligible itinerary. Economy Class tickets purchased using Pay With Miles are not eligible for mileage accrual and may not be eligible for Upgrades. Upgrade with Miles tickets, and BusinessElite®, First and Business Class tickets purchased using Pay With Miles are eligible for mileage accrual.

these are V and X fares
I have been told the text will be updated tomorrow Thursday the 29th, 2015 on Delta.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.