Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dowgrade from Paid F, Compensation Due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Delta will not buy FC on another airline if you are on an UP fare, and I would not be surprised at all to find that UA is the same way.
Originally Posted by Hartmann
They bought a ticket on DL in good faith that it was F, the GA's actions aren't their fault.
Though I have seen this type of discussion on FT many times, in fact my understanding is that it is not at all accurate, airlines do not typically 'buy' seats on other airlines unless they do not have an interline agreement, rather the interline agreement specifies the arrangement and it typically involves the airlines agreeing to accept each others tickets for the value paid. So, then in the case of -UP fares, if it's a coach seat with an instant upgrade, then I would not be surprised if the interline agreement would result in that being treated as a coach fare.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:04 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
My wife was at the gate around T-22 based on when her phone call ended with UA (as she walked up to the gate). She did say that there was no one else boarding. But the jetway door was open and there were people on the jetway.
I "think" you nailed the issue here. Basically, the flight was completely "checked-in", and "boarded" except for potentially a last call.

We can of course argue, if there were upgrade seats still available the gate agent should wait until T-10; but the gate agent was probably also not aware of a "new reservation" that was simultaneously being booked at T-25.

In any event, there is always a good way; and bad way for gate agents to address these situations from a customer service perspective.

Thank you all for the replies. We were starting to look into using DL more out of PDX because their F fares are a bit cheaper than some of UA's Y fares to places like IAH and ORD but depending on how this is handled, we may have to rethink that.
I'm not sure I would judge DL that much on a T-25/30 ticket purchase for a last minute re-booking. Yes, I know I am a Delta fan boy.

But, roles reversed, if Delta re-booked me on United (last minute) and I arrived at the gate after everyone had boarded (T-20); what's the chance United would still have left First Class seats empty and waiting for "potential" last minute folks?

So are you saying if I bought a P fare on DL (which is marketed as non-refundable F, not as an upgrade) and a mechanical happened, DL would put me in Y on another carrier but not F? Wow. That right there is an immediate red flag for me for any possibility of moving my business over.
Might be a red flag, but operationally Delta has very few issues. So, perhaps, a very "minor" red flag. I "guess" my point, is that as a Delta (frequent) flyer you just don't worry about MX that often. True, it happens, but it seems (antedoctally at least) to be much more of a rarity on Delta as opposed to United.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Though I have seen this type of discussion on FT many times, in fact my understanding is that it is not at all accurate, airlines do not typically 'buy' seats on other airlines unless they do not have an interline agreement, rather the interline agreement specifies the arrangement and it typically involves the airlines agreeing to accept each others tickets for the value paid. So, then in the case of -UP fares, if it's a coach seat with an instant upgrade, then I would not be surprised if the interline agreement would result in that being treated as a coach fare.
But, if the OP's wife had a FULL F fare, they would most likely be re-booked into full F on Delta. I agree, that if the OP's wife was on a highly discounted United F fare it would most likely be interlined to an equivalently priced fare in economy class.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My wife was recently flying United when some weather in SFO caused a misconnect. Luckily there was a DL flight down the hall that she could catch and the UA agent on the phone rebooked her while she was walking to the gate. The agent rebooked her into P class.

When my wife reached the gate and said that she had been rebooked and that she needed a boarding pass, the gate agents were not happy. They said something like "United should not have done a rebooking into first". My wife asked, "why not? That's what my original booking was". She received no response but was handed a coach boarding pass.
Response (w/time machine): "If you've got a problem, send United a debit memo. Please give me the class of service I paid for and was booked into."
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles
I thought the interline agreements were negotiated per cabin (Y/C/F) at set rates and were reciprocal. Meaning, if UA needs a DL Y seat it pays $X and DL pays the same to UA if they need a seat on them.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:06 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I thought the interline agreements were negotiated per cabin (Y/C/F) at set rates and were reciprocal. Meaning, if UA needs a DL Y seat it pays $X and DL pays the same to UA if they need a seat on them.
Cabin, and NOT fare code/fare basis? I would have assumed it was based on fare code, not cabin. Of course, the "Y-up" type fares make that a very muddy scenario. Though, perhaps, it was a discounted F-fare (on United) that was not a "Y-up" type fare. (similar to Delta "Z" and "I" fares, albeit in this case domestic)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'll add another data point. Delta has thrown me under the bus as well (twice) when I've purchased A fares. The agent tried to argue the coach/instant upgrade deal. No, when I went to delta.com I searched for a first class ticket and the A fare is what Delta sold me. I hate government intrusion into private business and DL is just asking for it with this deceptive practice. I just don't understand it. Do they (DL management) not realize how much harder it will be if the government comes in and adds regulation to end the deceptive practice? It would be best for everyone if DL were honest and held up their end of the agreement.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

This all being said though - if I haven't checked in by t-30 I would fully expect my seat to be given away. GA could have even IDBed the pax without comp since they did not check in by the check in cutoff.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'll add another data point. Delta has thrown me under the bus as well (twice) when I've purchased A fares. The agent tried to argue the coach/instant upgrade deal. No, when I went to delta.com I searched for a first class ticket and the A fare is what Delta sold me. I hate government intrusion into private business and DL is just asking for it with this deceptive practice. I just don't understand it. Do they (DL management) not realize how much harder it will be if the government comes in and adds regulation to end the deceptive practice? It would be best for everyone if DL were honest and held up their end of the agreement.
But, it hasn't for years. And, it applies equally to AA, UA, so it's standard practice and DL, like the other legacy carriers is more than willing to take the risk that they get told to stop. At which point they will.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
But, it hasn't for years. And, it applies equally to AA, UA, so it's standard practice and DL, like the other legacy carriers is more than willing to take the risk that they get told to stop. At which point they will.
Well now that is the picture of ethical behavior. I suppose the same logic could be applied to serial killers. They will stop when they get caught. Perfect.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have an upcoming flight in 1st class, but noticed it has the "P" code. Our ATL connection is tight and now it bothers me if we miss it, they will put us in Coach.

Nowhere on the payment screen does it say they are selling a coach ticket with a space available in first class.

Like others, I prefer the feds stay out of private business, but here is one where Delta is just asking for trouble.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I have an upcoming flight in 1st class, but noticed it has the "P" code. Our ATL connection is tight and now it bothers me if we miss it, they will put us in Coach.

Nowhere on the payment screen does it say they are selling a coach ticket with a space available in first class.

Like others, I prefer the feds stay out of private business, but here is one where Delta is just asking for trouble.
^ And it will only get worse with the expansion of FCM. Eventually there will be too many passengers burned by GAP fares and a lawsuit will only be a matter of time. I would much rather play nice and keep the Feds out of my business.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Our ATL connection is tight and now it bothers me if we miss it, they will put us in Coach.

For well over a year now DL's policy has been to rebook you in first on the next flight if there is an empty seat. If there is not it will be your choice to downgrade to coach if you do not wait for a flight with first available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.