Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?

Searched, didn't find anything relevant and/or recent. In theory, one can purchase an extra ticket - Delta says so (CSR said use "EXST" as passenger first name and then passenger last name so the seat assignment will stay with the passenger)

We plan to buy 3 seats to Shanghai for a September trip. Knowing IT & equipment issues, I'll stay on top of seat assignments BUT:
1) Has anyone done this recently and been able to make the purchase online?
2) Have you been able to upgrade to EC for all seats? If so, and you are medallion, did you get the medallion discount on all seats? (we're silver so I know it won't be free, but discounts are better than full price)
3) If you have made it so far....Did your seat assignments stick throughout the itinerary?

(I know the extra seat doesn't get MQM or MQD, that's not my question or issue, I accept Delta's rule on this. I'm mostly concerned with not losing my extra seat after paying for it....) Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:26 am

Why not just use purchase a BE seat?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mulaman984
Why not just use purchase a BE seat?
2 BE seats = $11,000
3 EC seats = $3500

Financial constraints, that's why^
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:10 am

What did they say when you called and asked?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've often thought about this but never done it on Delta. I did it on Air New Zealand a while back--and it made the difference in economy.

I don't know why Delta doesn't promote this. It's a huge extra revenue stream. For the right price, I would gladly spend an extra $200-$500 on a flight to London or Paris in economy with the seat next to me empty, especially if the armrest could be raised.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnm1019
What did they say when you called and asked?
Well, it's Delta, so they've said a couple of different things The first time they said as I posted above - you can reserve online using EXST as passenger first name. 2nd time they said it was possible but you have to reserve on the phone (thus invoking a fee since we're not elite enough to have that fee waived). I'm sure if/when we call again, that person will tell us something different.

See why I am asking if anyone has had actual experience?^
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd say book it online all at once so its under the same PNR, then call and ask them to check and make sure its OK for the extra seat. If there is a problem, you can cancel for free due to the >24hr cancel policy.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Well, it's Delta, so they've said a couple of different things The first time they said as I posted above - you can reserve online using EXST as passenger first name. 2nd time they said it was possible but you have to reserve on the phone (thus invoking a fee since we're not elite enough to have that fee waived). I'm sure if/when we call again, that person will tell us something different.

See why I am asking if anyone has had actual experience?^
I'd think you'd need to book online and then call to purchase the EC seats. Even if you called and did not want to pay the $25 phone booking fee, you could request they waive it since you cannot accomplish what you're trying to do online.

Based on feedback on this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...erent-pnr.html - they may give you the FO discount for the extra seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if booked in the same PNR, doesn't the discount for EC should apply to all pax within it?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've often thought about this but never done it on Delta. I did it on Air New Zealand a while back--and it made the difference in economy.

I don't know why Delta doesn't promote this. It's a huge extra revenue stream. For the right price, I would gladly spend an extra $200-$500 on a flight to London or Paris in economy with the seat next to me empty, especially if the armrest could be raised.
Why would DL offer to keep a seat empty for $200-$500 when they can sell the same seat for much more if they allow someone to sit in it?

I am assuming that EXST or no, the purchaser is paying full price for the ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Why would DL offer to keep a seat empty for $200-$500 when they can sell the same seat for much more if they allow someone to sit in it?

I am assuming that EXST or no, the purchaser is paying full price for the ticket.
Exactly. If you pay for an additional seat, its at the normal going price. There isn't any special discount.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Absolutely, my assumption is I pay $1000 each for 3 economy seats, then $120 or whatever per seat to "upgrade" to EC, full price for each seat and hopefully the FO EC discount since they'll all be on the same PNR.

(which is why I get a little peeved that neither my husband nor I would earn MQM or MQD but again, I abide by Delta's rules....Don't have to like them though)

The flight SEA-PVG has the A330 with 2-4-2 seating in economy, which would be ideal, but I'm on the east coast so getting to SEA is a pain - the DTW-PVG flight is much quicker, but on the 777 with 3-3-3 seating. Since I won't pay for BE seats, it seems that being able to get an entire 3-seat row on the 777 flight would be a good option for us.

Once I get my confirmation from the admin from Fudan, I'll book as recommended - online for 3 people - then call to check, cancelling if it's not correct from Delta's perspective....

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Absolutely, my assumption is I pay $1000 each for 3 economy seats, then $120 or whatever per seat to "upgrade" to EC, full price for each seat and hopefully the FO EC discount since they'll all be on the same PNR.

(which is why I get a little peeved that neither my husband nor I would earn MQM or MQD but again, I abide by Delta's rules....Don't have to like them though)

The flight SEA-PVG has the A330 with 2-4-2 seating in economy, which would be ideal, but I'm on the east coast so getting to SEA is a pain - the DTW-PVG flight is much quicker, but on the 777 with 3-3-3 seating. Since I won't pay for BE seats, it seems that being able to get an entire 3-seat row on the 777 flight would be a good option for us.

Once I get my confirmation from the admin from Fudan, I'll book as recommended - online for 3 people - then call to check, cancelling if it's not correct from Delta's perspective....

Thanks for the feedback!
And...don't forget...no MQS. But you can get base mileage after the fact (upon request).
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I never fly enough for segments to matter ;-)

And this just in - DL Opinion #3 via email response agrees with their Opinion #2 - call the Medallion line to make the reservations, that it cannot be purchased online....
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM
Keep us updated with what ends up happening. As a family of three we've often thought about trying to book the fourth seat in a row of four to have a bit more room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.