Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best solution for unaccompanied elderly flyer ATL>BOS?

Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear

UA flyer here, based @ BOS, flying my mother-in-law up from ATL on DL for the first time for Christmas! Exciting stuff, except that she hasn't flown in 20 years and is very nervous about the whole experience. She's not suffering from any hint of dementia, but the idea of wandering an airport alone fills her with dread. She has no family nearby who could accompany her with a gate pass, and when my husband suggested he could fly down and back with her, she wouldn't hear of it. Pride, I suppose. Earlier this year we lost my father-in-law, on whom she relied for this sort of thing.

I looked into VIP Select, but they indicated that because it involves multiple staircases and being chauffeured directly to the airplane, it isn't intended for an unsteady flyer, but more for someone looking for a luxurious experience.

They suggested a wheelchair, which could work -- she's in her late 70s and quite frail -- though she's admirably reluctant to use one, since she worried she'll be taking one from somebody who really needs it. Is that the best solution? She's flying in F, and isn't afraid of the actual flying (thank goodness), just worried about the airport experience.

I haven't been to ATL in decades. If we add a wheelchair to her booking record, where would she connect with it? We've told her to check her bags at the curb with a skycap: could the skycap help get the wheelchair? Finally, will the same wheelchair attendant stay with her all the way through security and to the gate?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I don't know what is available in ATL but in MSP there is a Traveler Assistance office that you can call to arrange for a volunteer to meet your mother-in-law at some specified place in the ticketing area and accompany her through security and to the gate. Look on the ATL airport website and search for terms like traveler assistance or special services.

A wheelchair is also a good idea, if she's willing to do that. I volunteer at MSP, which often involves getting a wheelchair (and attendant) for passengers in the ticketing area; I have not yet seen an occasion when a wheelchair was not available for someone needing it. Maybe that would assuage her concerns about depriving someone else. I haven't yet volunteered at holiday time yet, though.

If she requests wheelchair assistance someone will accompany her to the gate or even onto the plane.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Dec 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I assume some will be dropping her off curb side. Quite honestly, I know she said wouldn't hear of it, but if it were within reason, I'd have your husband surprise meet her when she gets dropped off. It is not like she is going to refuse to fly at that point and he can just say he did it because he wanted to have a stress free, enjoyable trip and he gets to spend a little one on one time with his mom. It should leave her more giddy than a pint of spiked egg nog.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
with all due respect for what your MIL said, her son should go to ATL and fly back with her ... period, dot, end of discussion

Originally Posted by Ledfish
... surprise meet her when she gets dropped off. It is not like she is going to refuse to fly at that point and he can just say he did it because he wanted to have a stress free, enjoyable trip and he gets to spend a little one on one time with his mom. It should leave her more giddy than a pint of spiked egg nog.
much more to the emotional point than the logical point
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Because of the family dynamics at play, it might not make sense for him to fly down and meet her, but I agree it's the best solution.

As for Travelers' Assistance, ATL has a meet & greet program, but it seems to apply only to arriving passengers with connections. :/ I'll call and find out.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passe...formation.aspx
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Regretably, what you are looking for doesn't exist. Namely, an unaccompanied minor program, but for the elderly or infirm.

She can get a wheelchair and pre-boarding, but the neither the wheelchair contract attendant nor any carrier employees are likely able to be of any special assistance.

If sending your husband down doesn't work, consider paying someone to do this. Doesn't have to be a professional, just someone who has one sole focus, making sure that the MIL is OK.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
At ATL the wheelchair guy will meet her curbside in the same area as the skycap (assuming you have called ahead for one). If somebody is dropping her off, they can hand her off to him, and he will get her to the gate. She will never be on her own.

I did this a few times with my mother before she was too old, and all went well. I was fairly impressed with the character of the guys handling the chairs.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:20 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I think someone flying down to get her is a bit over the top in terms of cost in time and money, not to mention that there's no guarantee of getting on the same flight at this point.

I'd suggest requesting wheelchair service. They'll get her at the ticket counter and through security and to the gate. The regular security line in ATL can be very long (30+ minutes) and if she's not accustomed to standing for long periods of time, that alone could be rather unpleasant for her. Moreover, the distances to walk in ATL can be rather long if she winds up departing from a gate that is at one of the concourse ends. It doesn't sound like she needs help getting off and on the plane, just a little help getting to the plane and through security. There are plenty of wheelchairs around ATL, so I really doubt she's going to be taking one away from someone else who needs one.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can I just say . . . I'm sort of touched that you seem to have such a caring relationship with your MIL. At least, I hope that this interpretation of your post is correct.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does ATL airport have any group of volunteers to help passengers such as Travelers' Aid? Even if they don't do stuff like this, perhaps one of them could be paid to help the mother in law? I assume that DL employees wouldn't be allowed to do it for money.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does ATL airport have any group of volunteers to help passengers such as Travelers' Aid? Even if they don't do stuff like this, perhaps one of them could be paid to help the mother in law? I assume that DL employees wouldn't be allowed to do it for money.
I looked at the link that the OP gave in post #5. It looks like ATL provides for a fee of $55 or more what MSP provides for free through its volunteers. Minnesota nice
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I looked at the link that the OP gave in post #5. It looks like ATL provides for a fee of $55 or more what MSP provides for free through its volunteers. Minnesota nice
I'm not surprised.

I was thinking about suggesting that the OP hire a student (and get them a gate pass or a fully refundable ticket) but it could be hard to get someone knowledgable and reliable. Volunteers already know the airport and have had some kind of background check, although it's not like the person would be alone with mother-in-law.

Another idea might be to see whether a reliable car service could accompany passenger to the gate. Some of them can apparently meet their arriving customers airside.

It might be possible to book a porter to take passenger and their carry on bags to the gate, but porters are rare in USA airports.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
And unfortunately it seems that they only specialize in helping people make airside connections. They won't meet her at the curb or go through security with her.

A wheelchair it is! Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.