Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Redefines Cabins, Rebrands BE & EC as Delta One & Delta Comfort+

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
dl.com Press Release: Delta Redefines Cabin, Upgrades Premium Economy Options. Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ offer premium experiences; Main Cabin and Basic Economy offer options for all customers.
Starting March 1, 2015, Delta customers can choose between:
  • Delta One, formerly BusinessElite, is offered on long-haul international routes; also between New York-JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco*
  • First Class is offered on short-haul international and domestic routes**
  • Delta Comfort+ offers an upgraded experience on all two cabin aircraft around the world
  • Main Cabin experience is provided everywhere Delta flies offering a high standard of customer service
  • Basic Economy offers Main Cabin service with fewer flexibility options available in select markets.

Newly designed Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ seat covers will be installed on aircraft through mid-2015. Customers can learn more about Delta's branded products at delta.com/firstlook or watch a video of the upcoming changes on YouTube
The New Delta Experience - LINK

New domestic F seat (737) - LINK

New Comfort+ seat (737) - LINK

Fly Your Way video - LINK

The New Delta Experience FAQs - LINK

Per the email, Delta GMs will lose complimentary access to Comfort+ at booking, but will gain complimentary access to Comfort+ on both domestic and international flights 72 hours before departure.

From Delta.com FAQ link:
Delta Comfort+ purchases made through a Delta channel (including delta.com, Fly Delta mobile app, Delta Reservations, Delta Kiosks, and select Delta airport locations) will earn Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs).
Print Wikipost

Delta Redefines Cabins, Rebrands BE & EC as Delta One & Delta Comfort+

Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I cannot find anywhere if GM's will continue to get a 50% discount on comfort+.

Also, for the record, I think the name Delta One is very strange. I think they should have just left it as it is, or switched to Business Class.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Playsmart
I fly 50-60K miles a year.....fairly big slap in the face on this one with the miles and now the lack of EC at booking. EC is not a bad product and I never mind sitting in those rows....
I fly over 125K a year and often find it hard to find anything other than a middle seat in EC. I take the aisle in the back over a middle in the front...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
If I read this correctly, and DL's grammar is correct, then GM and FO both get first class at T-72, and get EC+ at T-24. However, I don't know if that's the case.

"On March 1, 2015, Gold and Silver Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class as well as complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats starting 72 hours and 24 hours prior to departure, respectively ."

Or, respectively, GM will get EC and First at T-72, and FO at T-24. This is more likely the case. Someone needs a lesson in sentence construction.
Pretty confident that grammar is incorrect and that they meant that GM gets access to Comfort+ at T-72 while FO is at T-24. FC upgrade windows stay the same.

Note that I've yet to find a domestic aircraft where EC has any more legroom than exit row (generally, they seem to have less than exit row in fact). Note that EC/Comfort+ do not have extra recline on domestic aircraft. Granted, there will probably be more competition for those exit row seats now, but as long as they don't try to rebrand them as Comfort+, it seems to me they are a reasonable alternative to the former EC comfort/service levels.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Sounds like positive news to me.

GMs still get lounge access on an International itinerary - so GMs are not totally screwed.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
I'm not sure if this has been stated before, but I've noticed that Basic Economy fares won''t be eligible to buy up to Comfort+.
Where did you read that? It has always been possible to buy up on EC.

As someone who is typically GM losing out EC/C+ seating sucks the extra leg room was nice. So at this point GM gets SkyPriority boarding and priority seating that is about it. UG are few and far between anymore. I guess I'll get a nice travel pad and go back to the brick hard exit row seats.
These are the new E class fare restrictions for supposed "limited" routes to compete with NK.

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I fly over 125K a year and often find it hard to find anything other than a middle seat in EC. I take the aisle in the back over a middle in the front...
So Delta needs more Comfort+ seats. Maybe some of us will be willing to go back to regular economy, but I think most GM's will end up paying for the service. So you won't get better access to seats, Delta will just get more money.

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
If I read this correctly, and DL's grammar is correct, then GM and FO both get first class at T-72, and get EC+ at T-24. However, I don't know if that's the case.

"On March 1, 2015, Gold and Silver Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary upgrade eligibility to First Class as well as complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ seats starting 72 hours and 24 hours prior to departure, respectively ."

Or, respectively, GM will get EC and First at T-72, and FO at T-24. This is more likely the case. Someone needs a lesson in sentence construction.
You are reading way to much into it. I see it as still get their normal opportunity for first at there usual window and can get C+ at 72hrs if GM or 24hrs if FO.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Playsmart
I fly 50-60K miles a year.....fairly big slap in the face on this one with the miles and now the lack of EC at booking. EC is not a bad product and I never mind sitting in those rows....
Agreed...though from a purely selfish point of view, this will benefit me. I rarely get EC, maybe once per 6 flights, because the only EC open when I book a week out is just middle seats.

Last edited by orca15; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the special needs passengers who aren't elite and don't pay extra will be booted back to real coach? Why should they get free enhanced seats, free drinks, etc.?
They shouldn't, but they will.

I've never seen differentiated onboard service in one class.

And should C+ operates like EC - with a full row blocked off until T-24 - the definition of "special needs" needs clarification.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They shouldn't, but they will.

I've never seen differentiated onboard service in one class.

And should C+ operates like EC - with a full row blocked off until T-24 - the definition of "special needs" needs clarification.
Also makes me wonder what they'll do with those occasional random non-EC seats in the EC rows - like 19F on one of the 757s?

Surely the FAs aren't going to bother denying premium service to the one runt seat in the first row of the C+ section?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
So, this starts March 1, but they do away with the HOOU coupons this week.

Typical.

Unless I book 3 or more weeks out, the prospects of an aisle EC seat are dismal.

Also, is the "improvement" in EC the foreshadowing of the end, or significant restriction, of complementary UGs?

Dealing with DL management is like playing chess. You need to be anticipating three moves ahead.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Here's one possible benefit for us abused GMs: Perhaps we now get complimentary C+ on international itineraries? That seems to be how it's written.

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
What are the differences between FO and GM? 1 more mile per $ and a yellow bag tag is all I can think of. I wish I would have credited my last few flights to AS and stayed FO rolling over 24k miles now.
sky priority (right?) lounge access on long haul, higher UG chances? but yeah, the EC thing suuuuuucks

flying more than 50k a year on delta as a "civilian," so to speak, ain't beanbag.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Wonder how rigorously the "dedicated" C+ OHB space will be policed.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Sounds like positive news to me.

GMs still get lounge access on an International itinerary - so GMs are not totally screwed.
I would posit that this is to remain congruent with ST practice and is not some bone that DL is tossing to anyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.