Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-HKG Upgrade Offer $1000

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi All,

Flying on a V fare $900 round trip JFK-SEA-HKG-SEA-JFK trip. Checked in for JFK-SEA-HKG and was offered an upgrade offer for $1000 on the SEA-HKG segment. Wondering if I should take it? Flight is wide open not oversold...

Thoughts?

mbwmbw
Hey! I'm on that flight tomorrow (SEA-HKG)! See you then. I'll be bouncing between the SC and the Boardroom from about 9am on. Look for the super colorful backpack (Unless you're an axe murderer or something...)!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:34 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by javabytes
Woah, mbwmbw lives?
Originally Posted by davetravels
Apparently, he's living proof that there IS life after a FlyerTalk suspension!
It is not cool to discuss disciplinary action pertaining to fellow FlyerTalk members; so please refrain from that.

mbwmbw posted a perfectly legitimate topic. I for one welcome him back to the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum; so please let us return to the topic of this discussion.

Thank you.
Flying on a V fare $900 round trip JFK-SEA-HKG-SEA-JFK trip. Checked in for JFK-SEA-HKG and was offered an upgrade offer for $1000 on the SEA-HKG segment. Wondering if I should take it? Flight is wide open not oversold...
I personally would not do it as I do not believe that it is worth it, as I would have many other uses for that $1,000.00 which would be more valuable to me — especially if the flight is not crowded — but that is just my opinion.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I am flying tomorrow... Are you flying SEA-HKG? Does it look oversold? Tons of seats open in the back.

How did you use miles to acquire an international seat that you paid $350 for? I assume it was below YBM for that fare... How'd you pull that fare anyways?
Flying the reverse tomorrow. Sorry to miss you, actually. For some sadomasochistic reason, you're one of the FTers I'd like to meet most. Hmm.

I do go to S.F. a lot for work. Beers on me if you're there in a couple weeks.

I got in on a sub-$700 r/t trip fare and used some DL fun coupons to get it to $350. At check in, I was offered to upgrade with $1k OR 100k miles. Did you not get the miles option?

Originally Posted by Canarsie

Thank you.I personally would not do it as I do not believe that it is worth it, as I would have many other uses for that $1,000.00 which would be more valuable to me — especially if the flight is not crowded — but that is just my opinion.
The flights are crowded. Up until even just a couple days before my departure, the seat map showed many, many rows of 4-wide Y completely unoccupied. Then my flight left with Y0, every seat filled. There were a couple J seats open. Tomorrow is going to be a wreck.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by berliner5000
Quote:

Hi All,

Thoughts?

mbwmbw

Hey! I'm on that flight tomorrow (SEA-HKG)! See you then. I'll be bouncing between the SC and the Boardroom from about 9am on. Look for the super colorful backpack (Unless you're an axe murderer or something...)!
I am now sitting in BE right side. Look for me wearing a long jacket, scarf, and massive beard. I'm about 6'1-6'3 tall. See you tomorrow. DM me your info. Also I have flyer talk tags in my bag.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
SEA-HKG Upgrade Offer $1000

Did you pay the $1000 for the upgrade or did you get the Opup?

I am now sitting in BE right side. Look for me wearing a long jacket, scarf, and massive beard. I'm about 6'1-6'3 tall. See you tomorrow. DM me your info. Also I have flyer talk tags in my bag.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:01 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It doesn't matter. $1900 for a TPAC RT with one direction in BE is still a good deal IMO. I'm just thinking in RT equivalent terms to facilitate comparison with Z (or M and miles to upgrade) fares. I have a rough idea of Z RT fares in markets I fly and I assume the same is true for others here.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Thank you.I personally would not do it as I do not believe that it is worth it, as I would have many other uses for that $1,000.00 which would be more valuable to me — especially if the flight is not crowded — but that is just my opinion.
I agree with MSPeconomist, and would probably do it personally. BUT, I was going to make Canarsie's point. If a flight is quite empty, sometimes "ghetto BusinessElite," or 2-4 economy seats to yourself in a row is quite a good value and also quite comfortable.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: DL DM
What an oddly-vague description.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by bubbashow
What an oddly-vague description.
Bubba come hang out with us too!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
When they offer this, is mileage still accrued on the ticketed basis?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tkey75
Flying the reverse tomorrow. Sorry to miss you, actually. For some sadomasochistic reason, you're one of the FTers I'd like to meet most. Hmm.

I do go to S.F. a lot for work. Beers on me if you're there in a couple weeks.

I got in on a sub-$700 r/t trip fare and used some DL fun coupons to get it to $350. At check in, I was offered to upgrade with $1k OR 100k miles. Did you not get the miles option?

The flights are crowded. Up until even just a couple days before my departure, the seat map showed many, many rows of 4-wide Y completely unoccupied. Then my flight left with Y0, every seat filled. There were a couple J seats open. Tomorrow is going to be a wreck.
$1000 or 100,000 miles is the pay with miles redemption rate. It's at least several times the miles needed to upgrade an M+ fare to BE.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Correct. Is for one way only. SCE would you take it even if it's just one way for $1000?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd do it. No chance for an OPUP and most of us would be happy to get a TPAC RT in BE for $2900 total. This assumes that it's not one of the 757 TATL aircraft without direct aisle access for all seats.
I think MSPEconomist answers your question perfectly. I certainly would
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Do you plan on wearing the jacket and scarf the entire flight?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Do you plan on wearing the jacket and scarf the entire flight?

He probably should, that flight was bone shattering cold two weeks ago.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I was about to go off on another rant about OP, but I'll hold back and just say that $1,000 for the UG is definitely worth it on the ex-SEA direction.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I'd pay $20/hr max. No way am I paying $75/hr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.