Virgin Atlantic Code Share flight questions...

Old Nov 24, 14, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond and HHonors Diamond
Virgin Atlantic Code Share flight questions...

Looking at Delta ATL - LHR with either the in-bound or outbound as a Virgin Operated flight. (Corp Travel will force me to book on DL and not Virgin)

Any help on these Qs would be greatly appreciated. (Preface I will be forced to book cheapest economy ticket available)

1. Can I use Global Upgrade Certs on Delta if it's Virgin Atlantic metal?

2. Does Virgin Atlantic have Economy Comfort in a similar concept as Delta? OR do I have to buy that product as a premium ticket like Air France Premium Economy?

3. Delta.com is only showing V class tickets for the Virgin flights OR biz class. Can I book in that class...then call Delta's reissue desk and Buy the Premium Economy (which isn't incrementally much more expensive but comes with a 150% MQM credit).

Does that make sense? Basically, I don't want to be stuck in a standard economy ticket on either leg AND I would ideally like to get 150% MQM credit on the flights.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 14, 2:00 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
1. No.

2. Similar to AF. VS also has some extra legroom seats available for sale in the regular coach cabin, but I'm not sure if there's any way to get those for free even with Delta status.

3. You may be able to get Delta to let you buy up to VS Premium Economy, but it may depend on the agent. Be aware that under the DL code, DL sells only the W fare class of Premium Economy, whereas under the VS code there are a few more cheaper Premium Economy fare classes -- so the incremental price DL charges you to get to W may be higher than the difference between your coach fare and the lowest Premium Economy fare VS is currently selling.

It is possible for DL to sell you a VS-coded flight (on DL 006 ticket stock) in the cheaper Premium Economy fare buckets, but not all DL agents may know how to do that, and I'm not sure if they will be willing to change, or will change for free, a flight booked under a DL flight number to be booked under a VS flight number.

Your best bet (to minimize the likelihood of DL trying to charge you various change fees) would be to call DL immediately after having your corporate travel office make the booking.
Old Nov 24, 14, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jwill View Post
1. Can I use Global Upgrade Certs on Delta if it's Virgin Atlantic metal?
DL/AF/KL metal only.

2. Does Virgin Atlantic have Economy Comfort in a similar concept as Delta?
Sort of. "Extra leg room" seats. VS changed their seat reservation policies within the last week or so and you might be able to get them free as a DM.

OR do I have to buy that product as a premium ticket like Air France Premium Economy?
They have that too.

3. Delta.com is only showing V class tickets for the Virgin flights OR biz class. Can I book in that class...then call Delta's reissue desk and Buy the Premium Economy (which isn't incrementally much more expensive but comes with a 150% MQM credit).
Yes, though you might get hit with a change fee &/or external reissue charge. If it fits within your company policy, I would have the corp TA book the W fare from the start and document the PNR with what the lowest "in policy" airfare was at the time of booking. Then you expense what would have been the V fare and eat the difference for W.

Many companies have policies that allow this for buy-ups, extending business trips at personal cost, bringing spouse along, etc.
Old Nov 24, 14, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
I was able to select extra leg room seats on VS for free as of this past week.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded from economy to PE at the airport for $199 for ATL LHR on VS. It was a DL booked ticket. I did not receive additional MQMs.
Old Nov 24, 14, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, National Exec, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, SPG Gold
Rwoman, can you elaborate more on the upgrade to PE process? Was that at check-in or at the gate? Any opportunity to buy up to Upper Class?
Old Nov 24, 14, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infradig View Post
Rwoman, can you elaborate more on the upgrade to PE process? Was that at check-in or at the gate? Any opportunity to buy up to Upper Class?
It was at check in. I asked about upgrading. The only option was Y to PE, not Upper Class.
Old Nov 24, 14, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by infradig View Post
I had some experience about a week ago, flying LHR-IAD on a DL coded VS flight. I had booked in DL W which showed up as VS K -- premium economy. I asked about buying up at checkin at LHR and was offered an upgradw from my "discounted PE fare" for 1199 pounds -- $1881 one way. My original ticket DCA-CVG-ORD-JFK-LHR-IAD in PE was only $1834. I passed on buying up. However I did price a one-walk up at $5300 that morning.
Old Dec 15, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
I was able to select extra leg room seats on VS for free as of this past week.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded from economy to PE at the airport for $199 for ATL LHR on VS. It was a DL booked ticket. I did not receive additional MQMs.
Interesting. I was offered the upgrade last week from BOS-LHR (Delta ticket, Virgin metal) at $311 (199 pounds) at check-in, and then took advantage of it while at the Clubhouse.

Did you follow up with Delta as to why no extra MQMs? According to the Lounge Attendant, my new fare basis was in K, which according to Delta's charts, is 150% MQM. I'm still waiting for my trip to post.
Old Dec 16, 14, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by landeej View Post
Interesting. I was offered the upgrade last week from BOS-LHR (Delta ticket, Virgin metal) at $311 (199 pounds) at check-in, and then took advantage of it while at the Clubhouse.

Did you follow up with Delta as to why no extra MQMs? According to the Lounge Attendant, my new fare basis was in K, which according to Delta's charts, is 150% MQM. I'm still waiting for my trip to post.
Well, I think DL was supposed to charge me 199GBP (vice USD); I figured I was not going to dicker over the MQMs if I'd paid far less. It was only a week or so after VS started flying the flight and DL agents helping with ticketing.
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I wonder if it is possible to upgrade Y to PE on a Delta award ticket flown on VS metal…
It would be a way to try to circumvent the absence of PE awards.

Also, it is not correct that you can only purchase W fares on delta.com. You have to select "W" on the pull down menu, but then you'll be offered the lowest PE fare available.

Last edited by thesaints; Dec 21, 14 at 5:35 pm

Search this Thread