Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How would you rate AA's FF program vs. DL FF program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would you rate AA's FF program vs. DL FF program?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:25 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I disagree with what some people said i am actually totally satisfied with the costumer service and IRROP service with delta as a DM . It's the FF program which is lacking and i why i will switch to AA .
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Take a look at this UA EWR-HNL BF review...

If you scroll down you will see what the entree choices are...

http://fabflyer.net/united-airlines-...wark-honolulu/

Here is the excerpt from the reivew on the entree choices:

There were two food choices: spinach cannelloni or chicken cacciatore. I chose the pasta dish with a glass of wine. Nothing special but edible.
Last two times I was on UA IAD-HNL it wasn't "chicken or pasta" (can't speak for EWR-HNL, though - never been on that). Or rather, there was a vegetarian pasta, and a non-chicken (I can assure you) other dish. So, with UA at least it changes, while with DL for a good 5 years now (ever since service and food quality was Deltified (downgraded) from the much higher NWA standards) it's always chicken or pasta, and if you fly often (e.g. every 2 or 3 months), it may take a few flights (6+ months) before there is even any change in the way how it's prepared (very, very little variety). True, though, that the outright nasty and horrible smelling (makes you want to throw up) chicken has gotten better and at least somewhat paletable over the last year. It used to be really horrid until about a year ago: disgusting smelling skin-on chicken (smells like it's just been microwaved raw with no seasonings whatsoever) or pasta that tastes like cardboard. Now it's better and at least eatable (if you are hungry enough), and thankfully there hasn't been a recent DL "F/BE" food poisoning outbreak also (as there was about two years ago if I am not mistaken - many pax got into ER from that, and many more got otherwise still serious and long-lasting consequences). The second meal on the return ATL-HNL, however, is still really bad (cold sandwich that looks like someone sat on it), and the breakfeast upon arrival at ATL on the outbound has also consistently gotten worse and worse.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
DL calls it BE when you are booking it as award (higher mileage required than domestic F), but F when you are booking it revenue. Seems that DL can't make up it's mind as for what this flight really is - they want to have it both ways: charge more for BE, yet provide less service (in terms of food) as domestic F, even though it's a good ~11 hours long flight.

Also DL BE flights are full of exceptions in general. As another example, slippers are only provided on a few BE flights and not provided on others (so bring your own, as what is true on one BE flight is not true on another service-level wise).
AFAIK the slippers have always been an amenity for TPAC flights only. This was also true for PMNW IIRC.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:21 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would choose whichever carrier offers the better schedule.
This is the wisest way to operate going forward in 2015.

Originally Posted by umamy
I am also a DL Diamond thinking about switching over to AA. My home airport is DTW, so I'd be looking at a connection almost anywhere vs many non-stops I have now. That would be the biggest downside.
If you are going from non-stops to connections, and that means connecting in ORD that is much more than the "biggest downside." That is a complete disaster. In my world, increasing start to finish travel time +25% to +50% is not cost effective on any level (unless, you fly twice a year). I can see, valuing a better frequent flyer program and better award availability, but you also have to have some valuation for your time. (don't you?)

At the end of the day, saying I was able to use my miles for a 100K mile award ticket, but I spent 200 hours more (than necessary) traveling in 2015, and a few overnights in Chicago (due to missed connections) is not a worthwhile trade off.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's actually a pretty spot-on assessment
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
I've been DL DM since charter year and the last two years have been AA Exec Plat also.

My assessment is much the same as others, DL hard and soft product better, works for me as I'm ALT and LAX based. AA better food and FF redemption.

I'm all in with DL next year so I wont keep Exec Plat. It was handy being Emerald while traveling in EU on BA tix. access to First lounges was nice.

For me it all comes down to schedule, DL works about 90% of the time, AA gets the rest. I never fly UA so can't compare them to anything.

I agree with baccarat_king, its all about less time in airports and planes as possible if you fly 250K+ a year.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Yes you do buts it's still unique in the sense you can get top status
You cannot challenge to EXP - only PLT.

Upgrading as PLT on AA can be very expensive having to purchase all their stupid coupons...particularly for the OP as he is flying long distances.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As a long-time DL DM/MM and a current AA EXP, I agree with baccarat_king and dean1121. DL is operating the best legacy airline in the sky right now: both the hard and soft product are superior, and being able to avoid ORD is a huge bonus for 50-70% of the year. The one thing I'll say for AA is their EXP/club agents are really quite good; they seem more empowered than the DL folks are these days (no waivers, no favors, etc., etc.).

From a frequent flier perspective, upgrade chances as a DM/EXP are great on either airline, but often challenging on transcon SFO routes for both airlines. In terms of miles, AA miles are *way* more useful than DL miles, but I have more than I can use of both currencies. Is mileage accrual really the most important aspect of the program if you're flying that much? For me, I'd focus on which airline can get the job done for you week after week, and worry about the free tickets much less--I earn way more miles by credit card than I do by flying these days, even flying a ton.

Last edited by Erasmus; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:47 am Reason: Typo.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:29 am

Hmm, I don't know about the chicken vs pasta thing. But, I do like AA's one way awards and the variety of carriers that seem to offer a good number of award seats. My wife and I are flying one way ORD - HKG - JNB on Cathay Pacific next year. We are returning (one way) on Qatar JNB to Amman and from Amman back to ORD on Royal Jordanian. All in Business Class using 197,500 Aadvantage miles each. And, amazingly, it really wasn't difficult to find award seats. I didn't, unfortunately, find First Class award seats on the Cathay Pacific flights. Qatar and Royal Jordanian don't offer First Class.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:34 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
You cannot challenge to EXP - only PLT.

Upgrading as PLT on AA can be very expensive having to purchase all their stupid coupons...particularly for the OP as he is flying long distances.
You can with us air and the status will transfer eventually
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by RobertH
Hmm, I don't know about the chicken vs pasta thing. But, I do like AA's one way awards and the variety of carriers that seem to offer a good number of award seats. My wife and I are flying one way ORD - HKG - JNB on Cathay Pacific next year. We are returning (one way) on Qatar JNB to Amman and from Amman back to ORD on Royal Jordanian. All in Business Class using 197,500 Aadvantage miles each. And, amazingly, it really wasn't difficult to find award seats. I didn't, unfortunately, find First Class award seats on the Cathay Pacific flights. Qatar and Royal Jordanian don't offer First Class.
Off topic, but this is a horrible reason to pick a frequent flier program. In particular, you do realize that Qatar currently has an I (discount business) fare ORD/JNB for $3250++, right? So you're getting roughly $0.02/mile value on this redemption--not great--discounting the value you might be placing on flying CX and perhaps deliberately stopping over in AMM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Off topic, but this is a horrible reason to pick a frequent flier program. In particular, you do realize that Qatar currently has an I (discount business) fare ORD/JNB for $3250++, right? So you're getting roughly $0.02/mile value on this redemption--not great--discounting the value you might be placing on flying CX and perhaps deliberately stopping over in AMM.
The reason for the trip is to visit HKG (four days), JNB (10 days) and AMM (four days). Can you find a different business class frequent flyer award (from Chicago) that would do that? Or, for that matter, how much would it cost in dollars? I think it would be a lot more than $3250. But, perhaps I am mistaken - it wouldn't be the first time.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by cawa
Flying AA out of DTW used to be great, but is now a major pain. Almost all of the flights are now on RJs, which means no carryons,
I have never had a problem taking a both a carry-on and a laptop aboard any RJ - or prop - for that matter. I stick the laptop under the seat and the bag over head. If the flight is quite full, I just put both bags under the seat -- they fit without difficulty.

Perhaps the problem is that some take with them a great deal of stuff. Of course, this isn't an airline specific problem.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Erasmus
As a long-time DL DM/MM and a current AA EXP, I agree with baccarat_king and dean1121. DL is operating the best legacy airline in the sky right now: both the hard and soft product are superior, and being able to avoid ORD is a huge bonus for 50-70% of the year. The one thing I'll say for AA is their EXP/club agents are really quite good; they seem more empowered than the DL folks are these days (no waivers, no favors, etc., etc.).

From a frequent flier perspective, upgrade chances as a DM/EXP are great on either airline, but often challenging on transcon SFO routes for both airlines. In terms of miles, AA miles are *way* more useful than DL miles, but I have more than I can use of both currencies. Is mileage accrual really the most important aspect of the program if you're flying that much? For me, I'd focus on which airline can get the job done for you week after week, and worry about the free tickets much less--I earn way more miles by credit card than I do by flying these days, even flying a ton.
I will buck the trend and say that both airlines' hard product is equal as my experience has been very different. I think the AA's hard product is far superior to Delta's. Frankly, after flying the 77W in J, it is very hard to go back to Delta J. It is that much better.

No arguments on the soft product. I think Delta has the best service of all "western" airlines. I don't think its even close. To be fair though, in the last 6-12 months I have seen a great improvement from AA in the in-flight service. You will still get a bad apple but that even happens with Delta. However, the small things - like calling EXP/DM lines - show you the stark difference. I often feel like I need to motivate the EXP agents to be helpful and friendly, whereas the DM crew is always fantastic from the moment that they pick up the phone.

Award redemption - it depends where you want to go and in which cabin. I find that DL has better low-level J to Europe than AA(particularly on their new planes). With that said, AA gives you an option to redeem premium cabins on incredible airlines(Cathay, Qatar, Etihad). Obviously this beats angled AF and KLM. Just a question of your final destination and schedule flexibility, I guess.

All in all, I am still undecided which program I like better and am curious to see how 2015 will work out with Delta's new rev program.

Last edited by Andrito; Nov 27, 2014 at 5:22 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Andrito
I will buck the trend and say that both airlines' hard product is equal as my experience has been very different. I think the AA's hard product is far superior to Delta's. Frankly, after flying the 77W in J, it is very hard to go back to Delta J. It is that much better.
Sure, the 77W is lovely, but picking an airline based upon one particular piece of equipment that currently flies only a small handful of routes seems silly (unless, of course, JFK-LHR is your regular route, which is not the case for the OP). DL's J cabins trump AA's on pretty much every other piece of equipment they fly. (Save perhaps the 321T.) Similarly the domestic F cabins--that is, where AA even has F cabins (i.e, not RJs).

But I agree that DL and AA both have their strengths, which is why I plan to remain DM/EXP in 2015. We'll see what happens going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.