Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How would you rate AA's FF program vs. DL FF program?

How would you rate AA's FF program vs. DL FF program?

Old Nov 23, 14, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
It should be noted that UA, for domestic or any own-metal international, stinks. UA is a broken airline. Their product is awful and should be taken only as a last choice.If you can accumulate UA miles flying exclusively on SQ and LH (in F only, LH J stinks), then cool, but UA stinks and time spent on UA rapidly erodes any value from their miles.
I have never found any problems on UA despite frequent claims of others. All US airlines are about the same. Its like taking the bus. They get you there.

IME, one needs to fly 2nd/3rd world airline for truly poor service. Even the Ultra LCCs - e.g. FR, NK, and the like - at least one gets what one pays for (at least sometimes).

I would never waste my $$ or miles on anything other than Y.
Old Nov 23, 14, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), SPG GPG, Marriott GE, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
I have never found any problems on UA despite frequent claims of others.
+1

From my recent experiences, UA IRROS handling for no-status award flyers is far superior to that of DL of revenue Diamonds - at UA even as a nobody you just feel much more valued as a customer than you ever would at DL even as a Diamond, and the UA J cabin/seats, both pm-CO and pm-UA (which admittedly looks very tight and doesn't have direct aisle access for 1/2 the seats given 2-4-2 config), provide for comfortable sleep, and at least UA has a better food selection than DL in BE (where it's the never-ending "chicken or pasta" on 10+ hour flights).

So, I don't know where is all the negativity about HA coming from. Seems like an urban legend that is repeated by some posters just because they heard someone else say that.
Old Nov 23, 14, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz
I am also a DL Diamond thinking about switching over to AA. My home airport is DTW, so I'd be looking at a connection almost anywhere vs many non-stops I have now. That would be the biggest downside.

Getting rid of segment-by-segment awards was just one step too far. That combined with removing everything from ExpertFlyer put me over the edge to start seriously considering a switch.

I'm sure Delta wouldn't miss me, but AMEX might.
Old Nov 23, 14, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO, of the majors, I'd rank their programs (from best to worst)as:

2014:

1. UA - largest partner network, one way awards & stopovers
2. AA
3. US - no one-way awards or stopovers
4. DL - revenue based; poor award availability

2015:
1. US/AA FF
2. UA - revenue based
3. DL - revenue based; very poor award availability
RDM earning on DL doesn't become revenue based until January 1, 2015, exactly two months before UA makes exactly the same change. It isn't fair or accurate to list DL as revenue based for 2014.
Old Nov 23, 14, 7:09 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
+1

better food selection than DL in BE (where it's the never-ending "chicken or pasta" on 10+ hour flights).
I've never been on a 10+ hour BE flight where the only choice was chicken or pasta. Seems to me you are cherry-picking the HNL-ATL flight (which isn't really considered a BE flight).
Old Nov 23, 14, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, UA Silver
I have never found any problems on UA despite frequent claims of others. All US airlines are about the same. Its like taking the bus. They get you there.
+1
From my recent experiences, UA IRROS handling for no-status award flyers is far superior to that of DL of revenue Diamonds - at UA even as a nobody you just feel much more valued as a customer than you ever would at DL even as a Diamond,
[snip]
So, I don't know where is all the negativity about HA coming from. Seems like an urban legend that is repeated by some posters just because they heard someone else say that.
The problem is trying to generalize based on your individual experiences. My experience with UA was that they didn't value me as a customer whether I was no-status all the way through 1k. My flights with them were filled with problems especially during IROPs. The final straw was them wanting me to spend two days in ORD due to a single thunderstorm while on a paid F ticket - couldn't/wouldn't even get me out in Y (I ended up rebooking myself on another airline). I tend to believe the DOT airline complaint statistics which has UA consistently ranked last among the majors, beating only Frontier.

I find DL flights good (fewer delays and far fewer cancellations) and customer service very good. My biggest problem with them is their frequent flyer program keeps getting slashed and my benefits for being an elite are nowhere near what they used to be. I feel they will keep cutting until they see a measurable drop in revenue.

While AA has more delays and cancellations than DL, I find them excellent during IROPS and their elite benefits are very good. Unlike UA and DL, I get the feeling (hope?) that AA sees elite benefits as something that enhances their program rather than just a cost that they'd like to cut to the bone.
Old Nov 24, 14, 1:05 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), SPG GPG, Marriott GE, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I've never been on a 10+ hour BE flight where the only choice was chicken or pasta. Seems to me you are cherry-picking the HNL-ATL flight (which isn't really considered a BE flight).
It is a BE flight:
- seating is BE
- you get an amenity kit
- blanket and pillow are BE
- and is you book it as award (good luck, it's practically never available), it is charged at a higher BE vs standard "first class" price

UA and AA both serve much better and more variety (there is more to the world than chicken or pasta) food on HNL to EWR, IAD, IAH and DFW, which are all comparable to DL's HNL-ATL.
Old Nov 24, 14, 5:12 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
RDM earning on DL doesn't become revenue based until January 1, 2015, exactly two months before UA makes exactly the same change. It isn't fair or accurate to list DL as revenue based for 2014.
Arguably, it is not fair to list 2014 at all since there is little more than a month left in 2014. As for award availability next year, that remains to be seen as does partner availability but I understand why skeptics and cynics place UA above DL here.
Old Nov 24, 14, 6:05 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
It is a BE flight:
- seating is BE
- you get an amenity kit
- and is you book it as award (good luck, it's practically never available), it is charged at a higher BE vs standard "first class" price

UA and AA both serve much better and more variety (there is more to the world than chicken or pasta) food on HNL to EWR, IAD, IAH and DFW, which are all comparable to DL's HNL-ATL.
Call it BE if you want (DL calls it domestic F when I try to book it), but you made it sound like it was generally true for DL BE flights, when in fact it's the exception on a single DL BE flight.
Old Nov 24, 14, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
It is a BE flight:
- seating is BE
- you get an amenity kit

I cannot speak for AA, but on UA EWR-HNL there are two entree choices in BF (this has been the case for some time on this route, known in UA circles as BF-Lite).

As on DL ex East Coast to HNL, EWR-HNL is not a standard domestic upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 14, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree. On DL, chicken or pasta is a domestic FC dinner.Long haul BE has menus with about four choices depending on the route, more for TPAC because of the Asian meal.

Supper on the HND flights is more limited, but still more than chicken or pasta. IIRC supper on NRT-SIN and similar intraAsian flights is again more limited but includes at least one Asian choice.
Old Nov 24, 14, 4:54 pm

Call it BE if you want (DL calls it domestic F when I try to book it), but you made it sound like it was generally true for DL BE flights, when in fact it's the exception on a single DL BE flight.
DL calls it BE when you are booking it as award (higher mileage required than domestic F), but F when you are booking it revenue. Seems that DL can't make up it's mind as for what this flight really is - they want to have it both ways: charge more for BE, yet provide less service (in terms of food) as domestic F, even though it's a good ~11 hours long flight.

Also DL BE flights are full of exceptions in general. As another example, slippers are only provided on a few BE flights and not provided on others (so bring your own, as what is true on one BE flight is not true on another service-level wise).
Old Nov 24, 14, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
I cannot speak for AA, but on UA EWR-HNL there are two entree choices in BF (this has been the case for some time on this route, known in UA circles as BF-Lite).

As on DL ex East Coast to HNL, EWR-HNL is not a standard domestic upgrade.
And those UA (ex. EWR, IAD or IAH) entree choices are something other than (gasp, DL/"Michelle Bernstein" (the world's worst and most amateurish cook)!) chicken or pasta.

Same on AA. Two entree choices (you can reserve/request online in advance), and it's never "chicken or pasta." Last time a few weeks ago it was mahi mahi or some vegetarian dish, for example.
Old Nov 24, 14, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
Originally Posted by umamy View Post
I am also a DL Diamond thinking about switching over to AA. My home airport is DTW, so I'd be looking at a connection almost anywhere vs many non-stops I have now.
Flying AA out of DTW used to be great, but is now a major pain. Almost all of the flights are now on RJs, which means no carryons, and makes the almost mandatory connection in ORD really difficult without an extended layover (if you can find a DFW connection that works, then you still get to fly mainline, so it's a bit better).

AA used to have an AAdmirals Club in DTW, but it closed down long ago, and there are very few places to hang out or to get decent food in the North Terminal.

As far as award redemptions go, because everything is mostly RJs, award seats are very hard to come by--you can often find lots of award seats out of ORD, but you will end up driving to Chicago or paying to fly from DTW to ORD in order to get to the flight that has available award seats.
Old Nov 24, 14, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
And those UA (ex. EWR, IAD or IAH) entree choices are something other than (gasp, DL/"Michelle Bernstein" (the world's worst and most amateurish cook)!) chicken or pasta.

Same on AA. Two entree choices (you can reserve/request online in advance), and it's never "chicken or pasta." Last time a few weeks ago it was mahi mahi or some vegetarian dish, for example.
Take a look at this UA EWR-HNL BF review...

If you scroll down you will see what the entree choices are...

http://fabflyer.net/united-airlines-...wark-honolulu/

Here is the excerpt from the reivew on the entree choices:

There were two food choices: spinach cannelloni or chicken cacciatore. I chose the pasta dish with a glass of wine. Nothing special but edible.

Search this Thread