Search

DL to start PHL-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
DL to start PHL-LHR

DL is going to start PHL-LHR on Apr 8, 2015 using a 757 aircraft.

PHL-LHR 1904-0730 75W D
LHR-PHL 1230-1601 75W D

Didn't see the thread. DL is still operating PHL-CDG for next Summer 2015 on a 757-200 aircraft.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
What's the source on this? I just went to DL.com and the flights are not loaded and no press release yet.

This would not surprise me. AA/BA/US JV had to divest a slot on LHR-PHL as a condition of the merger. This said, as much I would like it to, PHL-LHR will never survive. Who on earth would choose to fly the route on a 757 when there are wide body aircraft on the route and both PHL and LHR are OW hub cities?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
What's the source on this?
It's in the electronic timetable. This will surely test the power of Virgin Atlantic codesharing.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's in the electronic timetable. This will surely test the power of Virgin Atlantic codesharing.
This has been expected for a while, especially with Delta talking about something like a 5% increase in ASMs into LHR next year. Not much way to do that other than adding a flight.

And yes, a great test of the VS codeshare. I wonder if it will be seasonal, or if they'll start year-round service with the high season.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:16 am

What's the source on this? I just went to DL.com and the flights are not loaded and no press release yet.

This would not surprise me. AA/BA/US JV had to divest a slot on LHR-PHL as a condition of the merger. This said, as much I would like it to, PHL-LHR will never survive. Who on earth would choose to fly the route on a 757 when there are wide body aircraft on the route and both PHL and LHR are OW hub cities?
Not exactly the same thing, but DL has operated a seasonal service (5 X week) from PIT to CDG for the past several summers using the 757. They seem
to be happy with the with the loads and fares.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
What's the source on this??
The source is Anet, he got this from Anet.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6236439/

Also taken from Anet, and not meant to hijack this thread, Delta will be starting DTW to AMS and DTW to CDG with the almighty 747 as well as the 747 returning to ATL with service to AMS. Service starts in April.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Who on earth would choose to fly the route on a 757 when there are wide body aircraft on the route and both PHL and LHR are OW hub cities?
Bizarre. Most people -- and I say this with much anguish! -- have no clue (or interest!) in what kind of plane they are flying. We're outliers.

(Relatedly, that's why I think the BA advertising blitz here in DC, which trumpets the A380, is kind of misguided. Most flyers just want to get from Point A to Point B at the cheapest possible price-point...)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:12 am

Just another thought. Could it be that the DOT has stated that DL needs to initiate some level of service by a specific date, or it might risk losing the slot?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
This said, as much I would like it to, PHL-LHR will never survive. Who on earth would choose to fly the route on a 757 when there are wide body aircraft on the route and both PHL and LHR are OW hub cities?
VS loyalists who would prefer to stay on VS (or a VS code) when flying TATL? PHL serves the seventh largest metropolitan area in the US, larger than Dallas, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, or Phoenix, so it's not unreasonable to think DL could fill a 757 here.

Originally Posted by koreanair720
Bizarre. Most people -- and I say this with much anguish! -- have no clue (or interest!) in what kind of plane they are flying. We're outliers.

(Relatedly, that's why I think the BA advertising blitz here in DC, which trumpets the A380, is kind of misguided. Most flyers just want to get from Point A to Point B at the cheapest possible price-point...)
In general I agree, though apparently the A380 (at least when it was first introduced) is a bit of an exception, with lots of people knowing what the double decker plane is.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:26 pm

The flights are now bookable.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM

Also taken from Anet, and not meant to hijack this thread, Delta will be starting DTW to AMS and DTW to CDG with the almighty 747 as well as the 747 returning to ATL with service to AMS. Service starts in April.
OMG -awesome ^
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Just another thought. Could it be that the DOT has stated that DL needs to initiate some level of service by a specific date, or it might risk losing the slot?
The federal government had nothing to do with this divestiture; the EU Competition Commission required that AA/BA make available a slot at LHR to enable a competitor to fly PHL-LHR.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:20 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by bennos
PHL serves the seventh largest metropolitan area in the US, larger than Dallas, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, or Phoenix, so it's not unreasonable to think DL could fill a 757 here.
Not quite sure of your wording here (and also not trying to be a jerk). PHL metro is #6 in the US. Dallas and Houston are larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
[QUOTE=bennos;23880873]VS loyalists who would prefer to stay on VS (or a VS code) when flying TATL? PHL serves the seventh largest metropolitan area in the US, larger than Dallas, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, or Phoenix, so it's not unreasonable to think DL could fill a 757 here./QUOTE]

While PHL is indeed a very large metropolitan area, it's also rather close to WAS and NYC. The other areas you mention don't have nearby competition.

But I agree with your conclusion about DL's ability to fill a 757 on this route. The greater problem may be attracting passengers whose final destination is not London.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The federal government had nothing to do with this divestiture; the EU Competition Commission required that AA/BA make available a slot at LHR to enable a competitor to fly PHL-LHR.
I disagree. However, you are entitled to your opinion, correct or otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.