Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
And two more things on this point.

First, the A350 has finished flight testing and is ready for delivery. DL knows from the flight test data what kind of aircraft they are getting. And it is certified. Kinks will also be worked out when they take their aircraft in 2017 at the earliest.

Second, the new aspects of the A330neo are the wing tip and the engine. The wing tip is taking the A350 wingtip and putting it on an A330. The engine is taking the 787 engine (already flying and proven) and hanging it from an A330 wing. Nothing is new and none of it is overly risky. It is a known commodity
So then why did Anderson act like the 787 was new and unproven technology? It's been flying a lot longer than the A350. As usual, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Anderson had been at United Healthcare for some time when NW ordered its 787s.
The NW 787 order was made in 2003 when Anderson was the CEO.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ge-on-new-jets
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
So then why did Anderson act like the 787 was new and unproven technology? It's been flying a lot longer than the A350. As usual, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.
Why are you so bitter about this order? It's like you are taking this personally. Why the Airbus hate? Do you feel your preferred carrier ordering Airbus doesn't fit with riding ATVs through the mud in a camo hat and jacket?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:41 pm

Quoting the article " Boeing couldn’t find early delivery slots for the 789–hence the offer of the 777LR–but Airbus was able to move the A350 skyline around enough to provide the airplane early."

Maybe it wasn't so much cost or Airbus vs Boeing as Airbus could make the deliveries of the types of plane Delta wants when Delta needed them.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
huh? 777 is wider..........

slow down. The 350 is mostly a 744 replacement and growth airplane. The 339 order isn't going to replace nearly 80 767s. Plenty of 67s to go around.

It isn't nearly as simple as Delta can just do whatever they like across the Atlantic. They have an agreement with DALPA that promises them 50% of joint venture flying. So if Delta starts reducing its TATL network in-mass then AF/KL/AZ will doing the same.

the 350 is the 744 replacement.
The 350 was going up against the 787, so in that perspective, the 350 is wider.

the 350-900 seats nearly 60 less passengers then the 744. On some of the real dense routes, wouldn't you think delta would want capacity more in line with the 747? The range is similar so that's about equal.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why are you so bitter about this order? It's like you are taking this personally. Why the Airbus hate? Do you feel your preferred carrier ordering Airbus doesn't fit with riding ATVs through the mud in a camo hat and jacket?
Where did that come from? You make the assumption I prefer Boeing due to nationality. You are mistaken. I have no problem with Embraer or Bombardier would love to see DL order some of their newer narrowbody aircraft. I have a degree in aeronautical science as well as an MBA. Aviation interests me. To be brief, a Boeing, Bombardier, or Embraer aircraft will do as the pilot commands. Airbus has a different philosophy and uses a "flight augmentation system" that brings a computer into critical decisions. I think the pilot knows best. That's it.

BTW I don't own an ATV nor do I have any camo apparel. But then I don't look down on anyone who chooses to own either of those things.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The NW 787 order was made in 2003 when Anderson was the CEO.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ge-on-new-jets
Here's a Northwest press release confirming my date of May 2005.

http://news.thomasnet.com/companysto...isition-496854
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by kop84
Quoting the article " Boeing couldn’t find early delivery slots for the 789–hence the offer of the 777LR–but Airbus was able to move the A350 skyline around enough to provide the airplane early."

Maybe it wasn't so much cost or Airbus vs Boeing as Airbus could make the deliveries of the types of plane Delta wants when Delta needed them.
With only 7 789's delivered and over 400 on the order books, the wait could be quite lengthy, depending on how many are built each month. I believe Boeing churns out about 10 787's a month, but I am not sure if that is just the 788 or both 788 and 789. I'm gonna guess about 5 789's are built each month, so about 60 a year. That would put delivery slots for Delta at about 7 years.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold, SPG
Time to take my annual $15k to the north side of SeaTac.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:02 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
just wondering do I have to be a redneck or a hick to support buying an american product? I would like to say that I am proud to buy things that are made by hard working men and women in our country. Since I feel this way I must ride a ATV in the mud? How about I love my country and believe we make the best aircraft out there for various reasons. I would like to point out that because you might support Airbus or like their product more does NOT make you anti-american and because I like Boeing does not make me the stereotype you portray either.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

slow down. The 350 is mostly a 744 replacement and growth airplane. The 339 order isn't going to replace nearly 80 767s. Plenty of 67s to go around.
Exactly, a big chunk of the 767s is not _that_ old - DL will likely still be flying a significant number of them in 2025

the 350 is the 744 replacement.
I find DL's choice intriguing. To me it signals they feel they don't really need a 747 replacement (the closest true thing to this would be a 77W or a 789). It looks to me they are strongly trying to build a TPAC and TATL fleet that has some degree of flexibility to mix and match as needed. The main difference between 339 and 359 is the range. Also the 359 can execute any route the 777ER can at ~the same capacity. The 359 is the closest thing to a 747 replacement because it can handle the stage length (and then some), but in reality it will be a mix of 777 and 359 "replacing" the 747.

So, now you have a very large fleet of aircraft that you can basically run on any trunk route.

Of course there are the specialized missions for 77L (which is in a league of its own). But still, there is no real good 767 alternative (ie, 180-230 seats with ~6k mile range). None of the narrow-body stretches will reach this stat combo. It will still be a number of years before it becomes a real issue, but I think DL would love either Airbus or Boeing to conceive a new small wide-body.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by VegasJosh
As of October 2014 Boeing had 81,662 employees in Washington State not to mention all the secondary jobs they create (shipping, restaurant ect.)

I am also sure the 38k employees of GE aviation cant be too happy and they are based in Ohio not the Delta cares about Cincinnati at all.

Also I believe the seat width size is up to Delta not Airbus or Boeing as both those companies make airframes not interiors.
Oh yeah, I am sure GE employees, who has 900 engines in or on order from Delta should really be upset that Delta just got 100 Trent engines. (that is the only offer on the 339/350)

If they are pissed it should be at GE.
Well, what's done is done. All I want is for Anderson to correct his statement. Anderson declared that he doesn't like unproven technology. What he meant to say was "We don't want unproven technology unless it comes from Airbus. Apparently he is ok ordering an aircraft that hasn't even entered service yet and another that hasn't even been designed. For once, UA has made a better decision than DL. They will have a smaller widebody (787) to cover smaller international markets.
The 330NEO is a 330 with a Roll Royce Trent 1000 TEN on it basically. (Trent 1000 is the 787 for those that don't know)

Its not a paper airplane. As for the 350, well the 789 is just now getting to EIS, the 788 was never in this.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Well, not exactly. This is not 744 replacement, but then why they didn't order 77W or 779X instead? That is not right choice.
no exactly. For Delta the 359 is the 744 replacement. They are going smaller while adding frequency.
I don't see your point here. United has firms commitments for 12 787-8. 11 are in service with 1 on order. It used to be almost all 787-8s on their books, but they have traded up to 787-9 and 787-10. I think the moral of the story here is that in 2014 the 787-8 is not the most economical aircraft out there, regardless of seat count vs market demand. The larger aircraft are going to be better long term for airlines. And the 787-9 is only about 20 seats smaller than the A350-900. I would say UA realizes they made a bad call on ordering 787-8s and has quickly reacted to fix that...leaving ultimately only 12 in their fleet.
exactly.
I see you must have been a fan of Juan Trippe style airline management. I'll help you out if you don't get that reference. Juan Trippe was the founder and CEO of Pan Am. He ordered a ton of Boeing 747's and the aikne flew them around pretty much empty. That mistake is one of the reasons you don't see Pan Am around anymore. Bigger does not always equal better. I still hold that the 787 is the closest replacement for a 767.
huh? Thats not apples to apples at all.

the 787-8 and 787-9 have basically the same trip costs. So the large 787-9 cost the same as the 787-8 to fly, why would you buy the 787-8?

Most carriers who got the 787-8 did so to get them early. That is why you are now slowly but surely seeing more and more people convert to the 789.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
just wondering do I have to be a redneck or a hick to support buying an american product? I would like to say that I am proud to buy things that are made by hard working men and women in our country. Since I feel this way I must ride a ATV in the mud? How about I love my country and believe we make the best aircraft out there for various reasons. I would like to point out that because you might support Airbus or like their product more does NOT make you anti-american and because I like Boeing does not make me the stereotype you portray either.
Won't some of the Airbus aircraft be assembled in Alabama or is that only narrow body?

IMO, with BA's manufacturing process on the 787 it is hard to stamp the "Made in USA" label on it. Just like it is hard to stamp a "Made in France/EU" label on the Airbus aircraft (for example, Spirit Aerosystems, Wichita, KS makes fuselage and wing components of the A350).

Cool infographic from the Seattle Times on the 787's part manufacture and country of origin:
http://seattletimes.com/multimedia/n...oeing-787.html

To me, this seems like Airbus was able to deliver a comparable product at a competitive price in the needed time. BA wasn't able to meet those requirements (however reasonable they may have been) so Delta made the business decision to go with Airbus.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
Exactly, a big chunk of the 767s is not _that_ old - DL will likely still be flying a significant number of them in 2025

I find DL's choice intriguing. To me it signals they feel they don't really need a 747 replacement (the closest true thing to this would be a 77W or a 789). It looks to me they are strongly trying to build a TPAC and TATL fleet that has some degree of flexibility to mix and match as needed. The main difference between 339 and 359 is the range. Also the 359 can execute any route the 777ER can at ~the same capacity. The 359 is the closest thing to a 747 replacement because it can handle the stage length (and then some), but in reality it will be a mix of 777 and 359 "replacing" the 747.

So, now you have a very large fleet of aircraft that you can basically run on any trunk route.

Of course there are the specialized missions for 77L (which is in a league of its own). But still, there is no real good 767 alternative (ie, 180-230 seats with ~6k mile range). None of the narrow-body stretches will reach this stat combo. It will still be a number of years before it becomes a real issue, but I think DL would love either Airbus or Boeing to conceive a new small wide-body.
should be 30 or so 767-300ERs. (plus the 21 764s)

and FWIW the 789/359 are basically the same. The 789 has about 700nm of extra range but rumor has been running around the AB will do a A350-900R to get to the, or a little bit better range.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:37 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
What an interesting farrago of ignorance, knowledge and posturing.

How many of you have access to Delta's lifecycle cost calculations and the manufacturers' bid numbers? I thought so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.