Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
when will deliveries start?

I'm guessing that neither of these planes is meant as a 747 replacement?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
What a shock. See, I told you all that the cheapest price would win.
Yeah, yeah, sure why not? We already know that.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Is Seattle that anti-Airbus now that Boeing moved to Chicago?

I'm glad that DL went with the Airbus planes that have an 18" seat width. The 787 looks like a torture chamber in Y.
Yes, very much so - for all of Boeing's labor strife and the move to Chicago of the management team, this is still a prime example of a company town. Freeways are plastered with billboards from Alaska proudly proclaiming their "all-Boeing fleet". And while employees may be in constant conflict with their management team, they also take a lot of pride in what they build, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who doesn't have a connection to Boeing through friends or family. Nearly all the engineering and manufacturing is still here or in South Carolina, not in Chicago.

At the end of the day, price will win, and these aircraft won't be used on routes that compete with AS, which helps. But this is front page news on the Seattle Times right now, and that will go a long way toward undoing some of the goodwill Delta has been working very hard to accrue here lately.

(It also doesn't help that the 2015 SkyMiles program disproportionately affects Seattle travelers due to the longer flight distances we typically fly compared to folks on the eastern seaboard...)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:43 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Is Seattle that anti-Airbus now that Boeing moved to Chicago?

I'm glad that DL went with the Airbus planes that have an 18" seat width. The 787 looks like a torture chamber in Y.
As of October 2014 Boeing had 81,662 employees in Washington State not to mention all the secondary jobs they create (shipping, restaurant ect.)

I am also sure the 38k employees of GE aviation cant be too happy and they are based in Ohio not the Delta cares about Cincinnati at all.

Also I believe the seat width size is up to Delta not Airbus or Boeing as both those companies make airframes not interiors.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
As reported here;

http://leehamnews.com/2014/11/19/air...de-body-order/

25 for each frame.

My immediate concern is this, the A350-900 is an XWB. Does this spell the end of direct aisle access in BE? With all that extra room on the aircraft going from side to side, it would be a waste of space to go with the 350 and not convert back to 2-2-2.
huh? 777 is wider..........
Ya'll have fun connecting in CDG and AMS. The 330 and 350 are much too big for secondary TATL markets. The only 767 replacement is a 787 and even it is still a little larger.
slow down. The 350 is mostly a 744 replacement and growth airplane. The 339 order isn't going to replace nearly 80 767s. Plenty of 67s to go around.

It isn't nearly as simple as Delta can just do whatever they like across the Atlantic. They have an agreement with DALPA that promises them 50% of joint venture flying. So if Delta starts reducing its TATL network in-mass then AF/KL/AZ will doing the same.
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
when will deliveries start?

I'm guessing that neither of these planes is meant as a 747 replacement?
the 350 is the 744 replacement.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
Also I believe the seat width size is up to Delta not Airbus or Boeing as both those companies make airframes not interiors.
It's of course up to DL to fit it how they would like, but the 787 is most economical for an airline in a 3-3-3 layout in Y, compared to the 2-4-2 layout in the A330. For the most part Airbus has wider cabins, and you can feel it all the way from the A319 to the A388. Plus, the windows are also higher on an Airbus, which immensely helps us tall window freaks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Well, what's done is done. All I want is for Anderson to correct his statement. Anderson declared that he doesn't like unproven technology. What he meant to say was "We don't want unproven technology unless it comes from Airbus. Apparently he is ok ordering an aircraft that hasn't even entered service yet and another that hasn't even been designed. For once, UA has made a better decision than DL. They will have a smaller widebody (787) to cover smaller international markets.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

the 350 is the 744 replacement.
Well, not exactly. This is not 744 replacement, but then why they didn't order 77W or 779X instead? That is not right choice.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:07 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Well, what's done is done. All I want is for Anderson to correct his statement. Anderson declared that he doesn't like unproven technology. What he meant to say was "We don't want unproven technology unless it comes from Airbus. Apparently he is ok ordering an aircraft that hasn't even entered service yet and another that hasn't even been designed. For once, UA has made a better decision than DL. They will have a smaller widebody (787) to cover smaller international markets.
or "we got your back" true unless you work for an AMERICAN airplane manufacturer.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Doesn't DL still have an order for a few 787-8's that Anderson made when he was running NW?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Doesn't DL still have an order for a few 787-8's that Anderson made when he was running NW?
Yes, currently they still have those slots. I expect they will either be canceled or sold off as they are delivered.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Anderson had been at United Healthcare for some time when NW ordered its 787s.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
For once, UA has made a better decision than DL. They will have a smaller widebody (787) to cover smaller international markets.
I don't see your point here. United has firms commitments for 12 787-8. 11 are in service with 1 on order. It used to be almost all 787-8s on their books, but they have traded up to 787-9 and 787-10. I think the moral of the story here is that in 2014 the 787-8 is not the most economical aircraft out there, regardless of seat count vs market demand. The larger aircraft are going to be better long term for airlines. And the 787-9 is only about 20 seats smaller than the A350-900. I would say UA realizes they made a bad call on ordering 787-8s and has quickly reacted to fix that...leaving ultimately only 12 in their fleet.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Well, what's done is done. All I want is for Anderson to correct his statement. Anderson declared that he doesn't like unproven technology. What he meant to say was "We don't want unproven technology unless it comes from Airbus. Apparently he is ok ordering an aircraft that hasn't even entered service yet and another that hasn't even been designed.
And two more things on this point.

First, the A350 has finished flight testing and is ready for delivery. DL knows from the flight test data what kind of aircraft they are getting. And it is certified. Kinks will also be worked out when they take their aircraft in 2017 at the earliest.

Second, the new aspects of the A330neo are the wing tip and the engine. The wing tip is taking the A350 wingtip and putting it on an A330. The engine is taking the 787 engine (already flying and proven) and hanging it from an A330 wing. Nothing is new and none of it is overly risky. It is a known commodity
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
I don't see your point here. United has firms commitments for 12 787-8. 11 are in service with 1 on order. It used to be almost all 787-8s on their books, but they have traded up to 787-9 and 787-10. I think the moral of the story here is that in 2014 the 787-8 is not the most economical aircraft out there, regardless of seat count vs market demand. The larger aircraft are going to be better long term for airlines. And the 787-9 is only about 20 seats smaller than the A350-900. I would say UA realizes they made a bad call on ordering 787-8s and has quickly reacted to fix that...leaving ultimately only 12 in their fleet.
I see you must have been a fan of Juan Trippe style airline management. I'll help you out if you don't get that reference. Juan Trippe was the founder and CEO of Pan Am. He ordered a ton of Boeing 747's and the aikne flew them around pretty much empty. That mistake is one of the reasons you don't see Pan Am around anymore. Bigger does not always equal better. I still hold that the 787 is the closest replacement for a 767.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.