Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pulling out of India/ BOM?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UA Fan
From an award perspective, this is not much of a loss.
Huge loss! For J awards, this was pretty easy to get low if you were flexible!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
77W?
This is the ICAO designation for the 777-300ER.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
FYI, KLM Assist told me today that AMS - DEL is dead as of March.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan
FYI, KLM Assist told me today that AMS - DEL is dead as of March.
Say it ain't so!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I'm on BOM-AMS right now (in 10G coach). 2 hours left to go. The checkin agent offered me a BE upgrade for 450Euro and 30,000 miles. I declined. Both coming to BOM and leaving have involved strange, southerly routes over Italy and the Arabian peninsula. Sure seems like a lot of extra miles to m. We hit 712MPH coming over, with 190MPH tail winds!

The gate at BOM sure looked like Delta to me. I didn't see any evidence of KLM. The new Terminal 2 is absolutely beautiful, but very confusing to navigate. The Cricket biz lounge is absolutely terrible.

Mumbai is a tough place to visit. I sucked it up and Ubered around quite a bit. UberBlack cars are horrid little Suzuki Swifts with windup windows, LOL. Even walked the streets with the locals. No big problems. Just not very pleasant.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Perhaps Jetair will take over?They are supposed to swap BRU for AMS
For sure yield is low on India flights( KLM stopped HYD) in past and offers many Indian destinations via AUH on EY
Additionally flight routes have been changed making it even less interesting to operate to India. Also operating wise India flights are expensive think about Special meal requests and wheelchairs and you got the picture.
An other option for sure is KLM will operate BOM again iso DL. Time will tell
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I'm on BOM-AMS right now (in 10G coach). 2 hours left to go. The checkin agent offered me a BE upgrade for 450Euro and 30,000 miles. I declined. Both coming to BOM and leaving have involved strange, southerly routes over Italy and the Arabian peninsula. Sure seems like a lot of extra miles to m. We hit 712MPH coming over, with 190MPH tail winds!

The gate at BOM sure looked like Delta to me. I didn't see any evidence of KLM. The new Terminal 2 is absolutely beautiful, but very confusing to navigate. The Cricket biz lounge is absolutely terrible.

Mumbai is a tough place to visit. I sucked it up and Ubered around quite a bit. UberBlack cars are horrid little Suzuki Swifts with windup windows, LOL. Even walked the streets with the locals. No big problems. Just not very pleasant.
Jeez ... I was there till Sunday departed on the BOM-AMS at 2.40am... your opinion of Mumbai will change if you travel with someone from Mumbai or who knows Mumbai.
1. The check in area and gate at BOM seemed like Delta.
2. Agree even though the food & alcoholic drinks is better at the new Business class lounge, I prefer the Priority Pass Clipper Lounge.
3. Never used Uber in Mumbai. Have used a lot of radio-taxis like Meru, etc never had a problem.
4. The travel from BOM to AMS was longer than it should be, even with the new changes.

There is always a next time!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta FO
I guess I'm not really following your response. I had a great time in Mumbai. What would traveling with someone from Mumbai have changed my (or someone else's) experience?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Traveling with someone who knows speak the local language and knows how to navigate in the city gives a better experience especially in places like Mumbai.

Delighted to know you had a great time!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Now that DL will have a spare airframe in the schedule, does anyone have any ideas on new routes or additional frequencies to current routes?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Delta pulling out of India/ BOM?

I wonder if the 763 will just end up going to a JFK transcon route since SEA has been habitually short a premium plane lately.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

At the moment (and for a large part of the year) Delta is running a A330 on this route.
Yes, for some periods of the year ... slow months it is the 767 that does this route.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
One more recent thread on DL AMS-BOM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-ams-bom.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Because of ukraine, syria, iraq delta had to change the flight route. Aside from making the flight over one hour longer, the return from bom now misses the morning intra europe bank. So while us connections still good, other european ones (mad) have waits until noon. Mybe withthe added cost of longer route nd loosing few intr europe business clss px pushed it over the edge. That sid very surprised both bom and del are being shut from ams. Huge loss of india connectivity and skytem options. Add to it the loss of virgin and its deadly. Making me think my alliance.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Hey Folks,

A few years ago, I flew the ATL-BOM on a regular basis - That was an awesome flight (in J). I never flew it in Y but it looked like punishment. I was always amused that on the way back to ATL, they deleted the duty free carts to save weight on the 77W. Even still, we stopped in CFB a few times to refuel...

In general, flying to India is pretty low on my list, no matter how I fly. The last couple of years I have flown EK F. The in flight experience is fine, but once you land...............

TFD
Lot of things have changed in FEW years. One is the new BOM INTL airport. Better than any in the west.
No matter what, isn't " going home" bring a smile ?

Originally Posted by k2
So true. When it comes to flying I can't think of many things that put a smile on my face, but boarding the flight home from India is definitely one...
Originally Posted by billk86
I feel ya friend. Just back from 3 weeks in India. Still recovering physically and psychologically. Wow.

We did 9 cities in 22 days going in and out with:

PDX-AMS-DEL
BOM-AMS-PDX
I think youdid well. Yes can be exhausting but look/talk about what you saw, cultures older tan 20 centuries, architecture from several " schools" of influences, religious, lingual, cuisine diversity. Obscene riches and poverty within a ston's throw, a people with at least 23 MAIN languages, thousands of dialects , Gods and Godesses, etc etc. You are a much richer person than most Westerners.

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
India is amazing, but I've been fortunate enough to always be visiting a friend who has arranged some things, which makes it a bit easier.
That is the BEST way to do it.....you can join many travel tours, more and more companies from abroad and India.

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I guess I'm not really following your response. I had a great time in Mumbai. What would traveling with someone from Mumbai have changed my (or someone else's) experience?
Short cuts to any or all things you want to accomplish.

Originally Posted by dd1612
Traveling with someone who knows speak the local language and knows how to navigate in the city gives a better experience especially in places like Mumbai.
The locals know where to go for what.....

Delighted to know you had a great time!
We did thee weeks in China with FT, Guide book and Google. Do not speak a word of Mandarin and are vegetarians too !
if one wants everything the way it is at home, no use going away !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.