Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Going to make DM again...I'm pretty sure anyway

Going to make DM again...I'm pretty sure anyway

Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I can only imagine the outcry if that happened to someone who got to the next status level because of the 10k bonus

if I was that close I'd think about buying a refundable ticket for travel next year ... the spend would count toward this year's bonus, the MQDs would hit next year whenever I actually used the ticket
What would happen if in December you bought a refundable ticket for the following year, made DM using the MQM bonus from the reserve card's spend requirement the ticket gave you and later, say July, refunded the ticket?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
What would happen if in December you bought a refundable ticket for the following year, made DM using the MQM bonus from the reserve card's spend requirement the ticket gave you and later, say July, refunded the ticket?
Are you volunteering to try it and see?

A while ago AA got very upset with some people who were doing this to get redeemable miles from their credit cards. Accounts were cancelled and people lost status as well as all their miles IIRC. There's a big thread on this in the AA forum. Try searching for the terms "audit" and "busted" to read the stories.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:45 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 355F1
I was $19k away from the $60k threshold so I even put the rest of my income taxes ($16k) on my DL AMEX Reserve.
YIKES!!!

How much of a fee did they hit you up for?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
YIKES!!!

Probably less than the cost of a ticket to earn 15,000 MQMs, maybe by about roughly half.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by umamy
I thought I was cutting it close, squeaking by with 124 to spare!
Same here. I am going to end up @ 75,125 MQMs and $15,862 MQDs. I'll end up renewing at PM, which is fine.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I even put the rest of my income taxes ($16k) on my DL AMEX Reserve.
In my desperation I've also consider this, although closer to $30k.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you volunteering to try it and see?

A while ago AA got very upset with some people who were doing this to get redeemable miles from their credit cards. Accounts were cancelled and people lost status as well as all their miles IIRC. There's a big thread on this in the AA forum. Try searching for the terms "audit" and "busted" to read the stories.
Nope, not me. But the redeemable miles can be clawed back. Not sure about revoking status and the benefits enjoyed before refunding the ticket (e.g. GUCs).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
YIKES!!!

only 1.87%.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Probably less than the cost of a ticket to earn 15,000 MQMs, maybe by about roughly half.
1.87%.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
1.87%.
$187 fee on $10,000 charge to get 10K MQMs (Plat AX) or 15K MQMs (Reserve AX).

I would be hard pressed to find an equivalent MR, even with a $20K charge (and a $374 fee)...

BTW - Which service charges that fee?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:14 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The CEO of Amex is probably displaying this thread at meetings and I expect will have it framed to hang behind his desk, right next to his newly framed picture of RA!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:28 pm

Dave's right—DL & AMEX have got us good. Probably look at us and think "suckers."
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
In my desperation I've also consider this, although closer to $30k.
I have my withholding set so that I get about $1000 back and I don't have to pay in. Perhaps I should change that, keep that cash in a separate account and then pay it with my reserve card. But, isn't there a penalty if you don't withhold enough through your employer?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
But, isn't there a penalty if you don't withhold enough through your employer?
I'm not 100% sure, but I have been on target to overpay/underpay in the past and drastically changed my withholding the last few payrolls of the year. I've never had a problem, but I really don't know if such changes could make you more susceptible to an audit. Maybe there's a CPA reading this who can chime in?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by yohanson
I have my withholding set so that I get about $1000 back and I don't have to pay in. Perhaps I should change that, keep that cash in a separate account and then pay it with my reserve card. But, isn't there a penalty if you don't withhold enough through your employer?
See attached.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p505...link1000194839

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.