Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4 Curbside/Skycap assistance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hertz #1, HHonors
JFK T4 Curbside/Skycap assistance

My 75 year old mother and myself are flying out of T4 in the late morning on Thursday.....with *6* checked bags (on transcon BE tickets). I also have a rental car to return.
What the best thing to do? Can I easily do a curbside check-in and leave the bags with a skycap and have mom check them in? Or will she need to wait until I return the rental car? Or can I possibly do everything at the curbside - although I remember the airport police don't like standing cars....
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I'm pretty sure you'll need to be there to check the bags, since you'll want to do 3 bags on each ticket and (in theory) both of you should therefore be asked for photo ID.

I can't remember if there is curbside checkin at T4, which I think would be the only option to take the bags directly out of the car and for you to check them all in immediately.

If that doesn't work, I think your best option might be to have a skycap collect the bags, and then your mom can wait in the SkyPriority check-in area with the bags until you return, which will be 20-30 minutes. (There is a separate seating area there.)

Another option (if your mom is mobile enough to walk moderate distances but not carry bags, and if your bags are small enough to fit on a single smart cart) would be to return the car first, pile the bags on the cart, then you push the cart onto the airtrain from the car rental return. I probably wouldn't try this unless every other option failed, though. An alternative might be for you to drop off 3 bags with your mom (who can then check them in and get a boarding pass) while you take the other 3 with you when you return the car.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hertz #1, HHonors
So things worked out really well....the Curbside checkin with skycaps and everything was very quiet and we got one to help us do checkin as soon as I pulled up to the very beginning of the T4 building. He checked us both in while the rental car sat at the curb for 3-4 minutes, and then I was able to return the car (and even had enough time to refuel it) and take the Skytrain back to the terminal where mother waited.
A well deserved gratuity was provided of course ;-)
But the other options mentioned were definitely in the back of my mind the whole time....of course the JFK-SFO flight is delayed by about an hour today...but that's not a big deal right now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.