Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta.com best site for ALL Delta fares/flights?

Is Delta.com best site for ALL Delta fares/flights?

Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Donna49, mattp1987, 3Cforme, SEA-Flyer, ChuckMSP, Flythetail, javabytes, howtofreetravel, and LBJ... thank you guys so much for the links to tutorials, otas, and suggestions on how to find Delta flights. I really appreciate all of your responses, and count today as a day I've learned something about air travel.

LBJ... I checked the FT glossary for the term "BFG", and was not able to find it there. What does "BFG" stand for?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Google Flights which (usually) will generate a link to book on the airline website. That should pull up the exact flights. Additionally, Hipmunk can be used to select flights and then redirect to delta.com. Hipmunk is a little clunkier than Google Flights IMHO, but it has the added advantage of accepting ITA Matrix syntax because, I if understand correctly, it uses the ITA matrix back-end.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The strengths of ITA Matrix
  • Flexible date
  • Variable duration of stay
  • non-stop, connecting, or forced segment count via Advanced Routing Codes
  • force connecting city
  • force carrier(s)
  • force a fare class
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
To get the best price, I'd recommend this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...serscript.html
Originally Posted by Chuckmsp
i tend to use ITA matrix, Google flights first to get a general idea about the cost of the ticket and the (in)convenience factor. I always check other OTA sites before using Delta's. I had good luck with Expedia, orbitz, cheapoair, Expedia.fr.
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Delta limits flights displayed, sometimes to only a few options when dozens of options exist. I usually search multiple websites and then try to book exactly what I want on Delta. Sometimes I can't ever book the same ticket on Delta, or when I try, it's in a higher fare class, so I will then use an OTA.
Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta is the best site to book travel, but a poor choice for searching and pricing flights. Use ITA, Google Flights, Kayak, etc. to find your flights and price them. Then go to Delta to book.
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I use chase ultimate rewards portal myself for the extra miles but normally same results pop up if not cheaper some times with 3rd party websites
Originally Posted by LBJ
For domestic flights, Orbitz will offer broken fares with 4+ hour layovers if they are cheaper (through fares don't allow 4+ hours layovers domestically (usually), but there is nothing wrong with them on a broken fare). Most other sites such as Kayak will filter these options out from my recent experience. delta.com does actually display some broken fare options these days, but it appears to be only those options which involve going through a hub. Orbitz will also combine DL with AF/KL flight numbers for international tickets if they are cheaper. delta.com will generally only offer the code-shared AF/KL flight options which can be more expensive. Matrix can be good, but also from a recent experience I needed to use the DL+ option to get some cheaper options on DL that were not initially displayed. I use Google Flights frequently to get a good idea of when flights are cheapest (mostly for mileage runs). It's not always definitive for cheapest options, but I find that it's the fastest option out there for searching. I should note that neither Matrix nor Google Flights are actually booking sites, while Orbitz is. Also note that BFG has lots of exclusions (such as alternate routings which you get on a broken fare), so it's pretty much meaningless.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Best fare guarantee
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by javabytes
Best fare guarantee
Thanks javabytes.

I've added more flight search sites to the list in my first post, which I will keep editing with more options until my edit privileges expire.

I was reading another thread, and apparently some of the MR people find that they need to use another airline's website to book a Delta flight at the fare they found on one of the sites I added to the list. I think it had to do with codesharing, but the thread was too over my head at that point to know for sure.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyertall
I was reading another thread, and apparently some of the MR people find that they need to use another airline's website to book a Delta flight at the fare they found on one of the sites I added to the list. I think it had to do with codesharing, but the thread was too over my head at that point to know for sure.
In the thread I think you're talking about, they were talking about booking through UX. That threw me off for a bit, but it's actually Air Europa. I don't know much about them, but according to Wikipedia they code-share with SkyTeam airlines. It's probably a mistake fare somehow linked to the code-sharing. You'll also sometimes find mistake fares limited to a certain booking site (e.g., Orbitz or Expedia). Wideroe is a prime example. However, I wouldn't worry too much about that if you just care about getting good or reasonable prices for trips you need to take anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.