Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach (S) Same Price as First (A)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Coach (S) Same Price as First (A)

Had something interesting happen the other day - used Delta.com to price one-way flight from ATL to RDU and Coach (S) was the exact same price as First (A). My corporate travel only lets me book the lowest logical coach fare, which means I had to book the Coach (S) fare, and after it was ticketed AMEX Travel refused to put me in First (A).

One call to the Diamond line and they popped me into First (A) without any issue, and even said on the phone while she was doing it "Sure, I have no problem doing that - I've got your back". Very impressed with Delta!

In other news ATL to RDU is such a short flight it doesn't matter, but the 1.5x MQMs every little bit helps.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:58 pm

I've seen this a few times when booking last minute (also, incidentally, out of RDU). First class a few bucks cheaper than coach.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:32 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
Had something interesting happen the other day - used Delta.com to price one-way flight from ATL to RDU and Coach (S) was the exact same price as First (A). My corporate travel only lets me book the lowest logical coach fare, which means I had to book the Coach (S) fare, and after it was ticketed AMEX Travel refused to put me in First (A).

One call to the Diamond line and they popped me into First (A) without any issue, and even said on the phone while she was doing it "Sure, I have no problem doing that - I've got your back". Very impressed with Delta!

In other news ATL to RDU is such a short flight it doesn't matter, but the 1.5x MQMs every little bit helps.
Very nice.

AMEX Travel is the bane of my existence, LOL. Especially the "Netherlands version." (I'm probably being overly-dramatic, but there was a promo last month for 4x Membership Reward Points for all tickets booked (online) by their travel service... so, of course, I had to deal with it.) But, I am also familiar with the corporate-version.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen FC fares that are even slightly cheaper than coach for the same flights. Sadly I've even had to pick the coach ticket because it would have been an enormous hassle to explain, document, get permission, and eventually be reimbursed for the cheaper FC ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Had a flight 3 weeks ago that at time of booking S was 1000 and A was 750.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I posted a flight MSP-MSO-MSP (or it might have been the reverse) earlier this year that was $200 cheaper in F.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
BumpMeVoucherMeATL - get off the internet and go enjoy Hong Kong! One of my favorite cities - worth an FT break to at least go wander the streets.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
BumpMeVoucherMeATL - get off the internet and go enjoy Hong Kong! One of my favorite cities - worth an FT break to at least go wander the streets.
It's midnight here so about to snuggle into bed at my hotel so I'll be ready to go in the morning with my SLR camera (and probably a rain poncho by the looks of it). Point well taken though -- g'nite!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:06 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
It's midnight here so about to snuggle into bed at my hotel so I'll be ready to go in the morning with my SLR camera (and probably a rain poncho by the looks of it). Point well taken though -- g'nite!
Midnight in Hong Kong is wonderful. So is daytime - enjoy!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:03 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
...My corporate travel only lets me book the lowest logical coach fare, which means I had to book the Coach (S) fare, and after it was ticketed AMEX Travel refused to put me in First (A)...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen FC fares that are even slightly cheaper than coach for the same flights. Sadly I've even had to pick the coach ticket because it would have been an enormous hassle to explain, document, get permission, and eventually be reimbursed for the cheaper FC ticket.
If you aren't working for a person or at a company where you can print out evidence of the situation and get approval with minimal hassle, I'd be looking for a new employer. [Exception for gov't roles where you just have to accept a lack of reason.]
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Even better - a Z fare to BRU for the cost of an H. This was back in 2012 and I jumped on it! Wish those came along more often
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
I learned a few years ago that this also applied to award seats especially TATL so now I always check F even using the 'award calendar.' Sometimes as well the F price is low enough that PWM is a better deal than a straight award seat,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.