Mileage Run for FO - Is it worth it?

Old Oct 27, 14, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Peon

I just started out in SkyMiles this year. My goal was to make FO. Including already scheduled flights that I actually have to take between now and the first of the year I will have about 19K MQM. I meet the MQD requirement on AMEX card spend. Is a year of FO benefits worth making a mileage run/buying MQM's to get the extra 6K MQM?

I know FO's generally don't get upgraded, that priority boarding is a joke (AMEX already gets me in Zone 1, when half the plane is already on), and AMEX also gets the free checked bag.

Maybe I've answered my own question here, I think I just want that silver card in my pocket. I know Silver Medallion ain't nothing compared to most you guys and girls, but it would be cool to me.
Old Oct 27, 14, 8:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by IEVols View Post
I just started out in SkyMiles this year. My goal was to make FO. Including already scheduled flights that I actually have to take between now and the first of the year I will have about 19K MQM. I meet the MQD requirement on AMEX card spend. Is a year of FO benefits worth making a mileage run/buying MQM's to get the extra 6K MQM?
Depending on your route and day of travel, Silver can be *very* valuable for the upgrades. Are you traveling LAX-JFK (no hope)? Or are you traveling up and down the west coast on a regional jet with an F class on a Saturday (easy Silver upgrade)?

As far as "buying MQM's", Delta has not announced anything for 2014 yet.
However, it will be cheaper to do a MR. Especially since this is the last year for earning cheap RDM's.
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
Depending on your route and day of travel, Silver can be *very* valuable for the upgrades. Are you traveling LAX-JFK (no hope)? Or are you traveling up and down the west coast on a regional jet with an F class on a Saturday (easy Silver upgrade)?

As far as "buying MQM's", Delta has not announced anything for 2014 yet.
However, it will be cheaper to do a MR. Especially since this is the last year for earning cheap RDM's.
Unfortunately my primary route is LAX-ATL and back. Although I've considered using ONT-SLC-ATL to add segments. I was wondering if buying MQMs was an option, I can only find past examples of DL allowing this.

Is there still going to be an RDM boost of 25% for Silvers going forward?
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14

I know FO's generally don't get upgraded, that priority boarding is a joke (AMEX already gets me in Zone 1, when half the plane is already on), and AMEX also gets the free checked bag.

Maybe I've answered my own question here, I think I just want that silver card in my pocket. I know Silver Medallion ain't nothing compared to most you guys and girls, but it would be cool to me.
If you need to collect another 6K MQM while you only collected 19K so far (up to end of year), your mileage runs amount for about 25% of all your travel.

I would recommend to keep that extra $$ in your pocket, or spend it to upgrade a couple of your already scheduled flights. Sitting in F is much cooler than a grey piece of plastic in your wallet/on your bag.
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Is there still going to be an RDM boost of 25% for Silvers going forward?
No. And I have to waive "bye-bye" to my 125% RDM boost as a Diamond
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
No. And I have to waive "bye-bye" to my 125% RDM boost as a Diamond
That's too bad. A friend of mine is a 3 million miler Platinum Kryptonite something or other and has been complaining about the new system constantly.
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
I'm sure they'll offer MQMs for sale again, but prices are likely to be pretty outrageous again.

Here's prices from last year:

Tier 4 - FO and those with gifted status:
2,500 MQMs $475
5,000 MQMs $675
7,500 MQMs $875
10,000 MQMs $1,075

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry View Post
I'm sure they'll offer MQMs for sale again, but prices are likely to be pretty outrageous again.

2,500 MQMs $475
5,000 MQMs $675
7,500 MQMs $875
10,000 MQMs $1,075

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Wow. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry View Post

2,500 MQMs $475
5,000 MQMs $675
7,500 MQMs $875
10,000 MQMs $1,075
Wow, crazy. Surely anyone can find a 2,500 mile run for $475! I guess the only value is if it's Dec 30...

As far as the 25% bonus, it's changed for 2015: Redeemable "miles" will earn at 5X dollar spend for base members, FO at 7X, GM 8X, PM 9X. So the up for FO is 40% technically (2/5 = 40%). That may be worth the MR. I personally also have used the E+ at checkin feature on domestic flights a fair bit. The first row of E+ often opens up at the 24 hour window. Of course, for what you'd pay to MR 6,000 miles, you could just outright purchase E+ several times in 2015. Your call.

Last edited by RaflW; Oct 27, 14 at 9:44 pm
Old Oct 27, 14, 9:43 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
i would say if you want it and feel like taking a vacation somewhere cool then do it. you can find LAX to HKG or somewhere in Asia for 1k or less, you get to see asia will get like 17k RDM and will roll over 8k or so for next year so you would not be in the same situation. 2 birds 1 milage run!
Old Oct 28, 14, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Some of the best things about FO are getting to select exit rows at booking and EC at check-in, which don't cine with any Amex. If you're planning to fly more next year, could be worth it, but only you can decide that.

Depending on which DL Amex you have and for how long, there may also be the possibility of upgrading it and getting some of your needed MQMs that way.
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Some of the best things about FO are getting to select exit rows at booking and EC at check-in, which don't cine with any Amex. If you're planning to fly more next year, could be worth it, but only you can decide that.

Depending on which DL Amex you have and for how long, there may also be the possibility of upgrading it and getting some of your needed MQMs that way.
Agreed - a little status is better than no status.

I'll hit MM in the next week and have joked, "Well, at least I know I'll have access to non-EC exit rows unless DL guts FO further..."
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles DM, Hilton Honors Silver VIP
I would think that a round trip across the country would be worth it, or even a trip to Asia and back since you can get some really great fares. The aspect that made it best for me is what gooselee points out about access to exit rows and Economy Comfort. It's not the best, but still worth having in my opinion.
Old Oct 28, 14, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
I'm in a similar seat, about 6K miles from regaining FO for next year (this was a tough budget year). I have the MQD spend already. I've already decided to not do the MQM buy and am keeping my eye out for an out-and-back MR or two (no overnight).
Old Oct 28, 14, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
If your primary route is LAX-ATL, forget upgrades. I wouldn't bother with a MR either, but rather I'd just use that money next year to pay up for EC. Early boarding, a little more legroom and better seat selection at time of booking, especially on a route like that where even EC might be tough for a FO to snag for free at the window. You don't get the SP benefits with FO anyway, so you're not losing out on those.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: