Wiki Posts
Search

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion
Quick question

My wife is on tonight's flight 72 from ATL to AMS connecting to FLR tomorrow AM. Her flight tonight has already been delayed over two hours because they don't have a crew, so she will miss her connection. Unfortunately, the next flight from AMS to FLR isn't until 9PM tomorrow night. I know there are worse places to be stuck for 12 hours but is she entitled to anything? Should Delta put her on a different airline to FLR? Thanks for your advice.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Or reroute via CDG.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Doesn't the delta app come up with alternatives? Because normally it does as soon as you are delayed...even it's 10 minutes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

well, we're talking about my wife who is a novice traveler. she doesn't even have the delta app. CDG was a good idea but there isn't enough time and god knows where her bags would end up. She would also lose her EC seat. i told her to go visit the van gough museum...that's what i would do!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:38 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
best possible thing to do (I am assuming she has no elite status) is for you to get on the DM line and ask them to help you and your wife, this has helped me in the past, if you get the right agent or supervisor they will her like she is a DM, or at the least give you the best options. The only other thing you can do is wait till travel is complete, write a letter get your 200$ and some peso's. YMMV
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

i called them. thx.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Well, if she's gonna go the route of visiting Amsterdam, she might as well have a good cup of coffee at a coffee shop.

. . . . not that I know anything about them!

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:51 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Originally Posted by sbwestfall
i called them. thx.
and.........
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, if she's gonna go the route of visiting Amsterdam, she might as well have a good cup of coffee at a coffee shop.

. . . . not that I know anything about them!

Haha! "coffee"

I <3 AMS.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
She might try for the AMS-Pisa flight. The center of Firenze is ~60 minutes by direct train from the Pisa airport.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbwestfall
My wife is on tonight's flight 72 from ATL to AMS connecting to FLR tomorrow AM. Her flight tonight has already been delayed over two hours because they don't have a crew, so she will miss her connection. Unfortunately, the next flight from AMS to FLR isn't until 9PM tomorrow night. I know there are worse places to be stuck for 12 hours but is she entitled to anything? Should Delta put her on a different airline to FLR? Thanks for your advice.

Your wife might want to probe into the reason for this delay a little more deeply. I find it to be implausible that DL couldn't summon a substitute flight deck crew from its reserve list, at its principal hub, in time for an on time departure, and not subject the pax to a two + hour delay.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:04 pm

3+ hours now!

edited to add.....

That's a B777LR. I would guess there aren't nearly as many spare crews as, say, for a B763.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I've only had crew issues twice.. once because we left CPH 7hrs late, so stopped to swap crews in BOS. Later my flight to SVO went mx and by the time they had it fixed (us on different equipment) the crew wasn't going to be able to work the entire flight. But even then they were able to steal one FA from the MAN flight as she was already in ATL and had the Russian visa.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:27 pm

I just called the diamond hotline, and was told that the captain was delayed AND there was a second delay for a security sweep. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this matters. Even if this was a MX within DL's control, it doesn't really mean that OP's wife gets anything more than perhaps a voucher for a bite to eat along the way.

Focus on the reroute if any. Either OP's wife hangs out in AMS for the day, gets a day room somewhere or there's some feasible reroute.

When she returns from her trip, send in a webform complaint noting the inconvenience and she might see a few miles or a small cert as a customer service gesture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.