Quick Layover Question (PDX and NRT)

Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Diamond
Quick Layover Question (PDX and NRT)

I'm going LAX - PDX - NRT - MNL next month.

Never been to PDX before. Do Delta international and domestic departure both head out of concourse D? I have a little over one hour between scheduled arrival/departure in PDX.

Never been to NRT before. Have about 3 hours before the last leg to MNL. Any concerns here? Do I have to clear immigration if I'm connecting? I will have no check in baggage.

On a side note, glad to ride on Delta 744 for the first, and likely last time before 2017 phase out. GUC already confirmed on return legs. Currently in 77K. Anyone else have a favorite seat on this equipment?

Thanks for the continued invaluable info FT folks!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
PDX is a great airport to connect at. All Delta flights arrive at and depart from the D gates, and the concourse is fairly small. There is a SkyClub upstairs between D5 and D7; unfortunately because of the local liquor laws, it only serves beer and wine.

At NRT, you'll go through a security check, but not immigration.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
You'll have no problems at PDX. Concourse D handles all domestic and international Delta flights, and there's only 15 gates in Concourse D.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Brilliant!

Thanks pdxray and Shivas.^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
At NRT the liquids rule applies so watch that you don't have water with you--you will go thru security when transferring. 2 Skyclubs very close at NRT so nice place to await your MNL flight. I have never had a bad seat in UD of the 744. Several like the last seats in A or K. I have never taken either of those seats because I think that's too close to the FAs in the kitchen and the stairs. 77K is a great seat. Wonderful experience. Enjoy, it's the best. Sad to see those planes leaving the fleet.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:48 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by pdxray
PDX is a great airport to connect at. All Delta flights arrive at and depart from the D gates, and the concourse is fairly small. There is a SkyClub upstairs between D5 and D7; unfortunately because of the local liquor laws, it only serves beer and wine.

At NRT, you'll go through a security check, but not immigration.
Is it just the SC that doesn't serve hard liquor? Hoping I can find something stronger in the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
NRT is also anal about little scissors, such as manicure implements. If you have any sort of blade in your carryon bag, the line will stop while they call a special supervisor over to find the items and measure the length of the blade very precisely, even if it's obviously much smaller than regulation size.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:28 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by mccuec
On a side note, glad to ride on Delta 744 for the first, and likely last time before 2017 phase out. GUC already confirmed on return legs. Currently in 77K. Anyone else have a favorite seat on this equipment?

77K is the best seat. I will be in it tomorrow MNL-NRT.

If you can make a change, you ought to try cutting out PDX and instead go LAX-NRT-MNL.

NRT is easy enough. There are two SkyClubs there. Both will impress you if your frame of reference is the US standard. Not so much if you are comparing vs. flagship lounges for CX and the like.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by andymo99
If you can make a change, you ought to try cutting out PDX and instead go LAX-NRT-MNL.
I would take PDX over LAX any day. Why are you suggesting the opposite?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Having done PDX and LAX layover to NRT I will take PDX anyday.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:34 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I'm going LAX - PDX - NRT - MNL next month...
...If you can make a change, you ought to try cutting out PDX and instead go LAX-NRT-MNL...
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I would take PDX over LAX any day. Why are you suggesting the opposite?
Originally Posted by tentseller
Having done PDX and LAX layover to NRT I will take PDX anyday.
OP originates at LAX. His routing is LAX-PDX-NRT-MNL. No matter how pleasant one finds PDX, I still don't see why you'd prefer that to LAX-NRT-MNL.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

In this case, I routed through PDX at time of booking because I was able to snag V fares all the way through, and the PDX-NRT is on 763 which I prefer over the 77L. Also, no GUC bucket available at time of booking for outbound...PDX-NRT has more available BE than LAX-NRT.

$743.50 ai

I admit, I'll use all the MQMs I can get.

Last edited by mccuec; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
OP originates at LAX. His routing is LAX-PDX-NRT-MNL. No matter how pleasant one finds PDX, I still don't see why you'd prefer that to LAX-NRT-MNL.
Agreed. I should also learn to read!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
In this case, I routed through PDX at time of booking because I was able to snag V fares all the way through, and the PDX-NRT is on 763 which I prefer over the 77L. Also, no GUC bucket available at time of booking for outbound...PDX-NRT has more available BE than LAX-NRT.

$743.50 ai

I admit, I'll use all the MQMs I can get.
Now THAT is a good price!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Got a call from Delta yesterday, 656 area code (old NWA call center?). Confirmed PDX-NRT GUC upgrade cleared...one leg to go!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.