Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rumor: DL removing complementary upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: DL removing complementary upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by skchin
fishy like the clam soup I had for lunch today.
I love clam soup... You like sushi too?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:20 pm
bzn

Originally Posted by bennos
This, except they don't need to "save face" but "continue advertising a benefit that lots of people like but fewer people will see".
Exactly. All they need to do is make the upgradable fare buckets smaller and keep the "benefit" intact. I think this is already happening. Of course since it is no longer possible to see fare buckets anymore we have no way of verifying. I do think the days of plentiful and dependable upgrades are quickly coming to a close.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
And you had to earn/cash in 800-mile segment upgrade certificates ...
But, you got FC mileage bonus and actually made a mileage profit on the deal.

Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This rumor will have the TH3 crowd all atwitter.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
This rumor will have the TH3 crowd all atwitter.
I must've missed TH2.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I love clam soup... You like sushi too?
I just speared the bearded clam (honestly)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
I must've missed TH2.
As previously disclaimed... this has nothing to do with the long-absent Duke of Bombay.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:57 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bzn
I do think the days of plentiful and dependable upgrades are quickly coming to a close.
I have missed more upgrades in the last month than I had in the previous 12. Nothing has changed in my buying timeframe or routes, but I have been in Y a lot more. It has also been harder to secure EC seats. I am having to set a reminder to check exactly at 24 hours prior to try and snag one of the bulkhead seats.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by TTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by bzn

I do think the days of plentiful and dependable upgrades are quickly coming to a close.

I have missed more upgrades in the last month than I had in the previous 12. Nothing has changed in my buying timeframe or routes, but I have been in Y a lot more. It has also been harder to secure EC seats. I am having to set a reminder to check exactly at 24 hours prior to try and snag one of the bulkhead seats.
DL doesn't care about you at all. It's a joke to them. They just want $$$.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not sure I believe this. Didn't they just state that paid F was only like 44% on the earnings call? I can't see a situation where they would take them away domestically and leave 50%+++ empty. That wouldn't seem to make any financial sense unless they doubled the fares too. Once they get to 70-80% paid F loads maybe they could consider it but I just don't see this one happening. I would agree that upgrades are more difficult than ever now and it seems to be moving that way but 44% paid F loads is way too low to end the complimentary upgrades and would likely severely hurt the financial performance.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Not sure I believe this. Didn't they just state that paid F was only like 44% on the earnings call? I can't see a situation where they would take them away domestically and leave 50%+++ empty. That wouldn't seem to make any financial sense unless they doubled the fares too. Once they get to 70-80% paid F loads maybe they could consider it but I just don't see this one happening. I would agree that upgrades are more difficult than ever now and it seems to be moving that way but 44% paid F loads is way too low to end the complimentary upgrades and would likely severely hurt the financial performance.
Huh? So in your world, not a single person would pay for an upgrade and the F cabins would fly 56% empty?? Good one.

AA charges for upgrades for all elites except EXPs. Their F cabins are just as full as DL and they pocked more than $100M each year from upgrade "sticker" sales.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Locking this one up. If more credible info emerges, will re-open.
Right now, this thread is about "rumors."
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.