Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rumor: DL removing complementary upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: DL removing complementary upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:53 pm

I just took delivery of some popcorn I bought from a kid raising money for his school.

What fortuitous timing!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Hell....even I call BS and trolling on this one. As much as I'd love to see a sticker program similar to AA, I don't believe it is happening.
If not BS/trolling, my next best guesses are:

-Somebody misunderstood the removal of medallion upgrades from E fares and has declared the removal of complimentary upgrades more broadly

-It's a leak by Delta, as kind of a Jedi mind-****k to AA which has yet to reconcile free upgrades in US Dividend Miles with paid sticker upgrades for <EXP in AA AAdvantage.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Hell....even I call BS and trolling on this one. As much as I'd love to see a sticker program similar to AA, I don't believe it is happening.
Pushing the MQD up in 2016 might just be the start. I could believe that DL might be considering this.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Ummm . . . IBTL
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
-Somebody misunderstood the removal of medallion upgrades from E fares and has declared the removal of complimentary upgrades more broadly
I can not remember when but some 10 years ago one had to purchase at least a Q fare to qualify for an upgrade. So while there are no UG on E fares I could easily see the rules being extended to sLUTEX fares.

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
That would be gutting the core of the program.
HAHAHAHAHA the sky is falling - the SkyMiles has been around for over 30 years - the core of the program is earning miles in return for loyalty. That is being gutted starting next year. Free upgrades have been around for perhaps 15 years and they started out as I noted above requiring a certain fare basis.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I can not remember when but some 10 years ago one had to purchase at least a Q fare to qualify for an upgrade. So while there are no UG on E fares I could easily see the rules being extended to sLUTEX fares.
One can dream =-). That would be the BIGGEST positive for SkyMiles in years.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
E was the trial balloon. X, V and maybe LUT are next.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
And you had to earn/cash in 800-mile segment upgrade certificates or whatever they were called (similar to AA stickers I guess). This was how it worked when I was first FO in the late 90s. I definitely remember comparing prices and buying up for longer flights to be eligible for an upgrade if the price difference was reasonable...back when FO upgrades weren't so elusive. Rewards for higher spend, imagine that.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
And you had to earn/cash in 800-mile segment upgrade certificates or whatever they were called (similar to AA stickers I guess). This was how it worked when I was first FO in the late 90s. I definitely remember comparing prices and buying up for longer flights to be eligible for an upgrade if the price difference was reasonable...back when FO upgrades weren't so elusive. Rewards for higher spend, imagine that.
There was a period - from the mid90s into early 2000s - where the lowest coach fare wasn't eligible for upgrade at any point, in contrast to the next higher fare which could get an upgrade confirmed to F at time of booking for Plats. Yes, I remember the 800-mile paper upgrade certs.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a K fare with LUT below it at the time. You left out V fares -- the new order is actually LUTXVE. Will they go back to K+? I doubt it as FCM has conditioned a significant number of flyers to buy F if they want it (last quarter had 44% paid F).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by emrdoc
My thought is you are trolling.
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I couldn't agree more, just surprised that it took 5 replys before someone suggested it.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
[bubbashow]

I hope they do! Let people pay for the service they desire. Keep the gamers, mistake fare fliers and cheapskates out. Make it truly First Class. Then my stock will go up more. Thank you Delta!

[/bubbashow]

Mbwmbw is entertaining.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:21 pm

With the domestic airline industry less competitive, it's not unrealistic for DL to begin restricting access to the First Class cabin (but no changes to EC).

DL could, for example, restrict select fare buckets based on status (for example, Diamonds would be eligible on any fare excluding E but Silver would be eligible only with MBY). Any remaining seats would be offered for purchase, with the amount variable based on status -- e.g. ATL-LAX could run $50 for a Platinum to $200 for non-status. Upgrades would be offered based on status & fare class ticketed in.

Ultimately, where would FF like Gold go? To be #67 on the upgrade list on UA or AA? Especially since many DL FF are captive to the hub market they reside in, due to work contracts.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:25 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
That would be gutting the core of the program. Or as crazy as cutting free alcohol from FC..
Don't worry. The "Cutting Free Alcohol from FC" thread will appear in a week or so.

Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TTT
They already limit upgrades via FCM. They could simply keep the program in place but increase FCM so much that people rarely/never get upgraded. Results in no upgrades for most elites but save face to keep the program "benefit" intact.
This, except they don't need to "save face" but "continue advertising a benefit that lots of people like but fewer people will see".
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam
fishy like the clam soup I had for lunch today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.