Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delayed by 2 hours but no change in catering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond

Newb to domestic delays. Flight was moved to a dinner time but they didn't change catering. Really??
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:37 pm

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
This is pretty standard. They're not going to add dinner to a flight because of a delay.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Seriously, you want them to delay the flight even further so it can be catered?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by indufan
Seriously, you want them to delay the flight even further so it can be catered?
No need to be a jerk about it. OP admitted he was new to domestic travel delays. An informative response would've been more appropriate rather than your snark.

To the OP. Yes usually flights are catered based on the original departure time. That just is what it is. On some occasions Delta has been good about offering in airport snacks, drinks at the gate for delays that are mechanical (MX) in nature.

Last edited by mridley2; Oct 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: Grammar.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mridley2
No need to be a jerk about it. OP admitted he was new to domestic travel delays. An informative response would've been more appropriate rather than your snark.
Unfortunately snark seems to be common throughout the DL forum.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
It definitely works both ways because of the policy. I had a 6 pm departure on Friday that was delayed until about 9. Still got dinner.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
Newb to domestic delays. Flight was moved to a dinner time but they didn't change catering. Really??
Yes, agree with the others here. Certain flts are scheduled for catering, others are not. Obviously yours was not so where would they find the food to cater? Steal it off another flt?

This is where I liked the idea that a couple times DL actually called for pizza delivery. IMO a nice touch when you have a long delay like this but can’t possibly arrange for catering.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Dfw has had crazy delays today. So our plane had been on the ground for the entire now 3 hour delay. I thought they'd be proactive.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mridley2
Sorry. I probably would have except for the "Really??" at the end of the OPs post. Is this better?

You want them to delay the flight even further so it can be catered?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:25 pm

Delta does not care about passenger comfort. One of the few areas of business where we pay to get treated poorly.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It really isn't practical to re-cater flights. If you have even been behind the scenes, airline catering is a time-sensitive matter with carefully orchestrated cooking/packaging/deliveries. A two-hour delay would allow you time to get a snack in the terminal if you need dinner.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
You seem to have an awful lot of petty things to complain about
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:05 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
While I can understand that someone might not want eggs or cereal for lunch if a breakfast flight is delayed, is there that much difference between lunch & dinner, especially out of DFW?

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 14, 2014 at 5:10 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:09 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
Dfw has had crazy delays today. So our plane had been on the ground for the entire now 3 hour delay. I thought they'd be proactive.
Operations is only concerned with departures and arrivals. I'd go so far, as to say they are not concerned at all about first class meal service (times, service etc.). On the positive side, the delay gave you lots of time to have a decent meal prior to or at the airport.

JulienMSP, you will quickly learn that domestic flying is much more frustrating than international long-haul. Many more delays, and a total de-emphasis on food&beverage (well, at least if you are comparing to international BusinessElite).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by fti
Unfortunately snark seems to be common throughout the DL forum.
Sadly, truer words have never been spoken....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.