Wiki Posts
Search

MQD for non US residents

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

MQD for non US residents

Any chance that Delta will change this to a global requirement?

As I am thinking about switching to Skyteam away from Star Alliance that would be very helpful.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
At the current time no. For those outside the US, just getting on DL normally is providing a good bit of revenue. Unlike those in the US, were you could fly tons of short cheap flights and still have given DL very little in revenue. Until the day comes that DL doesn't need JV/codeshares to cover most the world I doubt they'll have a MQD for those outside the US.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by SwissCircle

As I am thinking about switching to Skyteam away from Star Alliance that would be very helpful.
Their exemption of MQD with $25k AMEX spend is not open to non-US resident. So they would probably keep us exempted.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
At the current time no. For those outside the US, just getting on DL normally is providing a good bit of revenue. Unlike those in the US, were you could fly tons of short cheap flights and still have given DL very little in revenue. Until the day comes that DL doesn't need JV/codeshares to cover most the world I doubt they'll have a MQD for those outside the US.
Not really. I think DL lost money on my DL travel this year with all the TPAC price wars that I was able to take advantage of. MQM 200K+, MQD <$10k.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SwissCircle

SkyTeam isn't a frequent flyer program - it's an alliance of carriers. All rules of the program in which miles are accrued apply. One has lots of choices of FF program across SkyTeam carriers.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
What exactly are the MQD exemption rules if one is living overseas? I may be moving to Grand Cayman next year and will still keep my house here in the US which I will stay at when I'm here for business/pleasure. How does DL track this? Will it be a matter of where my flights originate from and return to? Most of my flights will be to/from GCM in the future, however I might be flying a lot from my current home airport (SFO) to destinations within the US, as well as to Asia/Europe. I don't intend to abuse the system, as I'm only trying to find out what the rules are!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The rule is quite simple. It goes by the address you have on file with Delta. As long as you can get mail sent to you. You're fine as long as mail can be sent there. They will ask for some type of proof to change it. However once changed you're good.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rule is quite simple. It goes by the address you have on file with Delta. As long as you can get mail sent to you. You're fine as long as mail can be sent there. They will ask for some type of proof to change it. However once changed you're good.
AFAIK for domestic to overseas address changes, DL has been demanding proof since the MQD requirement started. There's a big thread detailing exactly what documents DL accepts for this purpose. You might need to show a permanent residence card (or equivalent in the jurisdiction, possibly including a work permit) in addition to a lease/mortgage and utility bills.

Despite this, if your travel patterns show that you're really still living in the USA (even at a different location), I would expect DL to get upset with you.

You might want to track your MQD (even if DL doesn't), keep records, and try to satisfy your MQD or waiver requirements for status anyway if you're going to be close, in case it ever becomes an issue with DL.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Once my plans have been confirmed, then I'll contact DL and ask them when the MQD exemption starts...for example if I move before the end of this year, will I be MQD exempted for all of 2019?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by audidudi
Once my plans have been confirmed, then I'll contact DL and ask them when the MQD exemption starts...for example if I move before the end of this year, will I be MQD exempted for all of 2019?
I went through this when I moved to Prague late last year. DL accepts a copy of the lease as proof of new address (UA also needed a utility bill, but not DL). You will be 100% fully exempt from 2019 MQD requirements if you give DL proof of your new address before the end of this year. For more information:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

Scroll down to the "name and address change" section of that webpage. While it says you'll have to mail or fax proof of your new address, DL accepted it when I attached a copy of my lease to them through the webform that pops up when you go to change your address to a foreign address in your DL profile.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK for domestic to overseas address changes, DL has been demanding proof since the MQD requirement started. There's a big thread detailing exactly what documents DL accepts for this purpose. You might need to show a permanent residence card (or equivalent in the jurisdiction, possibly including a work permit) in addition to a lease/mortgage and utility bills.

Despite this, if your travel patterns show that you're really still living in the USA (even at a different location), I would expect DL to get upset with you.

You might want to track your MQD (even if DL doesn't), keep records, and try to satisfy your MQD or waiver requirements for status anyway if you're going to be close, in case it ever becomes an issue with DL.
Legal Residency is NOT a DL requirement. You only need to show the proof (pease, utility bill, etc) of address.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I went through this when I moved to Prague late last year. DL accepts a copy of the lease as proof of new address (UA also needed a utility bill, but not DL). You will be 100% fully exempt from 2019 MQD requirements if you give DL proof of your new address before the end of this year. For more information:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

Scroll down to the "name and address change" section of that webpage. While it says you'll have to mail or fax proof of your new address, DL accepted it when I attached a copy of my lease to them through the webform that pops up when you go to change your address to a foreign address in your DL profile.
However that exemption won't come into play till you hit a threshold. Ie if you already have 125k MQM but only 9K MQD you wont become DM simply by changing address. You'll need to wait till you hit the next MQS threshold (even if only the Silver MQS) which will cause system to look at MQD. Itll see now you're exempt and youll become DM.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:07 am

However that exemption won't come into play till you hit a threshold. Ie if you already have 125k MQMs but only 9K MQD you wont become DM simply by changing address. You'll need to wait till you hit the next MQS threshold (even if only the Silver MQS) which will cause system to look at MQD. Itll see now you're exempt and youll become DM.
This is correct. At each MQM or MQS threshold DL will check your address. If you hit 125,000 MQM and the next day change to a foreign address you will not become DM. You need to have the foreign address in there at the time you cross any threshold. This was my experience and they would not adjust retroactively.
MSPeconomist and ryw like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 29, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:21 am

However that exemption won't come into play till you hit a threshold. Ie if you already have 125k MQM but only 9K MQD you wont become DM simply by changing address. You'll need to wait till you hit the next MQS threshold (even if only the Silver MQS) which will cause system to look at MQD. Itll see now you're exempt and youll become DM.
That was false for me--at the time I changed my address last November I was at 65,000 MQMs but nowhere near the MQD requirement for gold. As soon as my address change was processed, my 2019 status was updated from silver to gold.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
That was false for me--at the time I changed my address last November I was at 65,000 MQMs but nowhere near the MQD requirement for gold. As soon as my address change was processed, my 2019 status was updated from silver to gold.
Unless they've changed something and haven't updated info that shouldn't have happened. Are you sure you didn't hit a MQS threshold at same time?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:18 am

I'm sure--I flew in early November before the address change and the MQMs/MQDs appeared in my account before I submitted the address change request. I didn't fly again until late December, well after my account had been updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.