Wiki Posts
Search

Flight change in W fare class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Flight change in W fare class

Flying SLC-JFK-CDG-BOM-CDG-DTW-SLC and international legs are DL ticket but AF metal in W premium economy class.

Due to a schedule change, my 2h layover in DTW is reduced to 35 min. With GE and no checked bags, I could perhaps make it through customs in time, but I'm not in the mood to take that chance.

Anyhow, with the flight still 3 months away in Jan, should I hold out and see if schedule changes again, or should I change flights? I'm on the last DTW-SLC of the day, so I would have to change an international leg. If I do this and change to non AF metal, will I book into Y and lose the W? Or, is there a chance they would book me into J? Wishful thinking, I know, but I thought I would ask.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Flying SLC-JFK-CDG-BOM-CDG-DTW-SLC and international legs are DL ticket but AF metal in W premium economy class.

Due to a schedule change, my 2h layover in DTW is reduced to 35 min. With GE and no checked bags, I could perhaps make it through customs in time, but I'm not in the mood to take that chance.

Anyhow, with the flight still 3 months away in Jan, should I hold out and see if schedule changes again, or should I change flights? I'm on the last DTW-SLC of the day, so I would have to change an international leg. If I do this and change to non AF metal, will I book into Y and lose the W? Or, is there a chance they would book me into J? Wishful thinking, I know, but I thought I would ask.
Y, no chance for J.
That's actually true also when delta reschedules a AF W to a DL flight due to change. Automatically rebooked in Y, need to make sure to be booked on another W.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

The trouble with waiting is that other options available today might not be available later to fix the 35 minute connection.

Try searching airfrance.us and see what one-way premium economy options exist for your travel date. By looking at the one-way CDG-SLC options, you'll have the information you need to ask for the option you'd prefer when speaking with Delta about your ticket.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I would change flights now (or soon). W seats can be hard to get close in, since there are so few options. If the schedule changes again, you can change your flights again.

As mentioned above, W will be rebooked to the coach cabin if no W cabin is available (and you should receive a partial refund). You might be able to get rebooked into Y/B/M and then use miles to upgrade to J assuming you get a good agent and can find availability, but I wouldn't count on it. Try to find other options with a W cabin. Besides AF, you could possibly look at a VS routing (JFK-LHR-BOM).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to rebook onto BOM-CDG-JFK-SLC. Actually worked out well as the new route is a few more MQM, and now I get to fly on the A380 both directions for the TATL.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
and now I get to fly on the A380 both directions for the TATL.
Awesome! We booked an itinerary a couple years ago specifically to be able to get the upper level W seats on the AF A380 While I was sleeping, apparently my husband was sweet talking flight attendants into giving him tours of the business & first class sections

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.