Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by mhop1027
Really begs the question as to why DL didn't ID these thresholds the first time they ran the analytics and set the current MQD requirements. One would have to imagine, even before MQDs, that DL knows exactly how much each FF spends and how this relates to each medallion level.

We're not even a full year in.
They know exactly where they want to be. They are just smart enough to avoid rolling it all out at once and upsetting everyone a lot and causing a tidal wave of outrage. Instead they trickle it in. Enhancement next year: dollar based miles redemption (is my bet).

I also expect mqd will go up by one more step next year.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Management may see some benefit to trimming the FO and GM ranks and may continue to hope to use MQDs to do so. But, I still do not see MQDs as an intent to trim the PM and, especially, DM ranks. Rather, MQDs are intended, IMHO, as another means of driving folks at the level to AMEX spend.

As long as the AMEX waiver is in effect, and as long as I have not fully retired, I cannot envision a situation where MQDs will become a significant consideration for me.

The true significance of this announcement is that we heard it here first, rather from Virginia Ave.

Significant, but not surprising.

Predictable, in fact.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
1) Not surprised
2) What's the over/under on the number of days it will take UA to copy, from the time of official announcement?

Last edited by javabytes; Oct 9, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm going to be Silver Medallion next year with about $2600 in spend. Coming up with an extra $400 wouldn't have been hard. If it means a better experience for me (more upgrades, more increases in service and hopefully a better SM program) than I'm for it
Why not buy lounge access at $450??? Bet you've dismissed that idea quickly but somehow think $400 for SM is a better deal.

See, this is why DL benefits from FF programs hand over fist, it encourages irrational behavior. Average Joe would never spend that $400 (extra flight serves no purpose). We have a whole board dedicated to people willing to throw $400 at an airline to fly anywhere, do a same day turn, and fly back. In the next year, you'll somehow find that $400, but DL will ask for *just* $600 or so because the requirements went up again and your new spending patterns fell just short. It's a never-ending hamster wheel and DL has figured out that people won't try to get off, and instead will do something not in their best interest.

The auspice of "enhanced benefits" really encourages people to make a horrible choice, when in reality, we definitively know that first class isn't what it used to be.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Management may see some benefit to trimming the FO and GM ranks and may continue to hope to use MQDs to do so. But, I still do not see MQDs as an intent to trim the PM and, especially, DM ranks. Rather, MQDs are intended, IMHO, as another means of driving folks at the level to AMEX spend.

As long as the AMEX waiver is in effect, and as long as I have not fully retired, I cannot envision a situation where MQDs will become a significant consideration for me.
Why trim your lowest elites that derive the least amount of "perks" from your program? Their goal should be to trim the PM/DMs because those are the members that have better access to FC, less fees, etc.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500? Just curious if it is more difficult tipo reach the dollar amount vs. the MQM amount.

Personally, I think the 125k is much harder than the $$. But have quite a few last min meetings i need to attend and those tickets are rather pricy.

-ok
For this year I am DM on MQM, PM on MQD (though this year is an outlier, usually I don't quite make PM MQD) and FO on MQS (and have Amex wavier, obviously) All out of my own pocket.

I don't do traditional MRs but if there is a cheap fare to somewhere I'm interested in going, I'll do it. Bought 3 trips to SEA with the double MQM last winter and one to CPH when the fare ware with Norwegian was on back in March.

I'm not surprised they changed the MQD threshold but I am surprised they did change (or tier) the Amex wavier. But that may still come, since we've heard nothing official from DL.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

The rest of this thread: People saying it's the last straw and then important people saying how this is a good move for them, boasting that they already exceed the new limits easily. Next...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mhop1027
Why not buy lounge access at $450??? Bet you've dismissed that idea quickly but somehow think $400 for SM is a better deal.

See, this is why DL benefits from FF programs hand over fist, it encourages irrational behavior. Average Joe would never spend that $400 (extra flight serves no purpose). We have a whole board dedicated to people willing to throw $400 at an airline to fly anywhere, do a same day turn, and fly back. In the next year, you'll somehow find that $400, but DL will ask for *just* $600 or so because the requirements went up again and your new spending patterns fell just short. It's a never-ending hamster wheel and DL has figured out that people won't try to get off, and instead will do something not in their best interest.

The auspice of "enhanced benefits" really encourages people to make a horrible choice, when in reality, we definitively know that first class isn't what it used to be.
While you may be speaking broadly, what you are saying does not apply to me. I wont buy a lounge membership because I don't have long enough connections to use one, nor do I think it's necessary at my very nice home airport. What I will do every year is travel at least once a month and spend probably $5000 on airfare. I'm going to take those trips no matter what. This year I'll fly 18 segments on AA/US and 30 on DL. To come up with the extra $400 or so, I'll just move one trip to DL.

I think it's worth it, traveling with status is more enjoyable than traveling without it. I don't think that makes me irrational.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Honestly guys, how many of you guys have flown 125.000 miles and not reached the $12.500?
It all depends on the route. Just booked DCA-LAX for next week. About 5,000 MQM, but less than $500 in MQDs. A couple months ago, it was less than $400 in MQDs. And that's not even maximizing MQMs by connecting through JFK, which I hate doing and try to avoid at all costs.

Then there's flying on international so-called "partner" flights. Even when entitled to earn MQDs, it can take months and a half-dozen or more exchanges of emails and phone calls to get the MQDs credited. As long as the AmEx waiver lasts, it's hardly worth doing.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I'm a DM at $14,996 MQD right now, but I purchased a lot of F fares when I was GM to start the year. The $15,000 threshold may or may not be difficult, 2015 isn't here yet.

What sucks if this is real is that DL announced SM 2015 (earning Medallion status for 2016) and they said nothing would change. That appears to now be a lie.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#medallion

The updates to the 2015 SkyMiles program will not impact how you earn Medallion status.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm going to be Silver Medallion next year with about $2600 in spend. Coming up with an extra $400 wouldn't have been hard. If it means a better experience for me (more upgrades, more increases in service and hopefully a better SM program) than I'm for it
I qualified for FO with $3.9k MQD. I might have a couple of LAX-BOS trips before the end of the year, trying to decide if I should go for GM.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Oct 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
I'm a DM at $14,996 MQD right now, but I purchased a lot of F fares when I was GM to start the year. The $15,000 threshold may or may not be difficult, 2015 isn't here yet.

What sucks if this is real is that DL announced SM 2015 (earning Medallion status for 2016) and they said nothing would change. That appears to now be a lie.

Nothing has changed -- you still have to fly a lot of miles and spend a lot of money
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich

Nice catch.

But hardly surprising
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:07 pm

First chance they get, the waiver is getting axed. Don't know when that'll be, but when they get free from Amex it makes no sense to keep that item around. Especially as the MQD totals creep toward the $25k mark, if this whole MQD change every year comes to fruition.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

That is this year's program, no? From the website:

Starting in January 2014 and applicable for U.S. members only, Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs), which measures your annual spending on Delta flights, became an additional component that is required to earn Medallion status.
Which would mean SM 2016 starts on Jan. 1, 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.