Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Had to disembark via the rear stairs today!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

DL2310 today, DFW-ATL. We arrived and "pulled in on the wrong stripe" (exact words from the cockpit) and had a tug push us back and bring us back in on the correct alignment for an MD-88. Turns out it didn't matter, as the jet bridge was without power. After 20 minutes or so of airport personnel troubleshooting, it was decided that we would exit the plane via the rear stairs. The only other time I've had this opportunity was during the ATL DO a few years ago on a mock plane.

Last edited by stealthmidget; Oct 7, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Ah ha - the D B Cooper method of leaving the aircraft albeit on terra firma !
Yes I know that was a 727 and not a Mad Dog !
But you did not have to wait another 20 minutes for the truck stairs to arrive
to find an alternate way without popping emergency door hatches and slides
to a concrete landing pad.
So tell me who tripped the circuit breaker in ATL gate control disabling the
jetway ? Very unusual.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I can assure you it was an MD-88. There were no truck stairs, and there was no popping of emergency doors or slides. FlightAware link: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...550Z/KDFW/KATL

And another pic after I got off the plane:

Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
That was a cool way to exit. I have always wanted to use the rear stairs (after reading about Mr. Cooper). You had an experience to remember. IIRC, you have to bend over to get out; any problems from elderly/mobility impared passengers?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by relangford
That was a cool way to exit. I have always wanted to use the rear stairs (after reading about Mr. Cooper). You had an experience to remember. IIRC, you have to bend over to get out; any problems from elderly/mobility impared passengers?
Be careful what you wish for. It's not fun with carry on bags. I did this once at an outstation, possibly MCI, where the jetways weren't working.

I also saw it happen to lots and lots of planes at ATL one year in early January before the merger. There was an ice storm mess and incoming passengers were being held on planes for up to twelve hours. Then during the evening, someone decided to let people deplane onto the tarmac and walk to the terminals. [I had arrived on PMNW MSP-ATL that day with no problems whatsoever; in fact, my flight was about twenty minutes early.]
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:39 am

They deplanes from the rear stairs commonly on the Delta Shuttle when it was flown by MDs. (Might still do on some flights. Been a while since I've flown the Shuttle.)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Happens all the time on AS 737 combis. Have done that multiple times. European airlines also sometimes use both front and back doors when boarding remotely using buses.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Did this not long ago when PHL folks could not get the jetway to work.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Cool!! I have fond memories of deplaning (and embarking) via rear stairs as a child off/on to B727s.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Cool!! I have fond memories of deplaning (and embarking) via rear stairs as a child off/on to B727s.
And reversing out from the gate without a tug. That's a cool way to go backwards.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Wasn't this common practice when the LGA shuttles were mainline?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
And reversing out from the gate without a tug. That's a cool way to go backwards.
Hopefully not at the same time as passengers are boarding or deplaning through the rear stairs.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I flew into Istanbul last week on Turkish, and we could disembark from either the front or the rear of a 777.

When I lived in Mozambique, Air Corridor (now defunct) used to board and exit from the rear of a 737.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My last rear stair deplaning came from a China Northern MD-90 that has probably now made its way into the Delta fleet.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
power backs. This was the primary method of ValuJet DC9s of moving off the gate. Back when fuel was cheap, this was a cheaper method and allowed for faster turns.....aaaahhh the memories

DC9s were also equipped with front 'air stairs'. I recall several times having to deplane DC9s using the onboard air stairs when no jetway or jetway inop.

Rear airstairs is way cool - exiting through the tail cone.... i am a bit jealous of the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.