Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I earn Skymiles on Vietnam Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I earn Skymiles on Vietnam Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Save your boarding passes. I have never had VN report flights to DL but I have emailed DL a copy of my VN boarding pass and have always received credit for the class flown (based on earning chart).

Also - as an FYI - if you decide to pursue an upgrade using Optiontown - if you score the upgrade - your boarding pass will show a first class fare.
I have never had a problem receiving mileage credit on VN. You first have to make sure that your SM info is in the reservation system! Then if your SM # is printed on your boarding card, no worries! If not, then always try to have the GA reprint your BC to reflect this if possible!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Just a couple quick questions. As a segment flyer--I am more concerned about Segments counting--safe to assume segment booked with VN will still give me segment credit?
My segments just posted on the first of my VN ticketed, almost lowest fare class flight. The MQM and MQD were ridiculously low, but there was a segment credit for each take-off and landing.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
My segments just posted on the first of my VN ticketed, almost lowest fare class flight. The MQM and MQD were ridiculously low, but there was a segment credit for each take-off and landing.
As long as it earns anything, you get a MQS. In general the reverse is true also.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Also, any idea on lounge access in SGN for a domestic ticket in Y as a Delta Diamond?

Thanks!
Neither through STE or purchased SC membership on domestic flights. With that said, the check-in agent was willing to give me access when I asked, but because of something else...

If you fly out of Hanoi, be prepared; many of the passengers are not seasoned flyers. I got stuck in the check-in line behind a man who had absolutely no idea what he was doing. (While I mean in terms of flying, maybe it carries over to life.) He made her wait while the guy with him gathered more people. They didn't have the right documents. They might not have even had tickets for that day. I don't know, but finally she made them move out of the way to take care of me. I handed her the flight information, my passport and my electronic SM card and rolled my eyes. She laughed and thanked me for my patience. I assured her I was in no rush. When I asked about lounge access, after telling me she was not supposed to, she told me she could, but I assured her I was just asking to know, and wouldn't even have time to visit the lounge anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:30 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I did not get any credit on my last domestic flights in vietnam is this a new development?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I did not get any credit on my last domestic flights in vietnam is this a new development?
Does the flight show up in your account activity? If yes, what reason does Delta give? If no, when did you fly? Might not have posted yet. If it's been a week or two, it might be time to file a claim for credit.

Double check the fare class is eligible here. Find VN and then click it's name, then the white box "mileage earn...".
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:18 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Reason N I have no idea which fare class I booked into . one international flight did not post and one domestic flight did not post.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:02 am

I had VN miles automatically post to DL from Travel Dec 25-31 2018 (took 2-3 days after completion. I had both domestic and international segments). However, I was sure to book in fare classes that were eligible for mileage accrual. The cheapest VN flights are usually not in eligible fare classes.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Reason N I have no idea which fare class I booked into . one international flight did not post and one domestic flight did not post.
I'm not familiar with the codes themselves. However, it should have verbiage accompanying the code that tells you why it was denied. What's the verbiage ?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Hi Guys,
Very new to SkyTeam

I was given 6 month of Platinum Medaillon Challenge.

How many MQM will I earn flying PremEco or Business with Vietnam Airlines from LHR to SGN please?

Many Thanks,
Yann
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAANN
Hi Guys,
Very new to SkyTeam

I was given 6 month of Platinum Medaillon Challenge.

How many MQM will I earn flying PremEco or Business with Vietnam Airlines from LHR to SGN please?

Many Thanks,
Yann
Howdy, check this website for more information. Find your airline and then click on the white text box regarding "after x date". You'll need to know the fare class you've been booked into. Find that in the chart. If it's not listed, you won't earn anything.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Howdy, check this website for more information. Find your airline and then click on the white text box regarding "after x date". You'll need to know the fare class you've been booked into. Find that in the chart. If it's not listed, you won't earn anything.
Thank you fellow traveler. I will be in U or J so I understand I would qualify.

I understand I would need 2 return in J to keep my Platinum Medaillon. Only???? That's fantastic!

P.S: is this website useful and working? https://fly.qux.us/smcalc/
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:33 am

Sorry, but I don't know the specifics of your challenge. It's my understanding that challenges are personalized and not uniform, so I don't know how many MQM's you'll need to requalify. I would note, that for US based flyers, those with a US Address on their Skymiles profile, are required to meet a MQD threshold too. Assuming you're location on your Flyertalk profile is correct, you won't need to worry about this.

I'd also note that since you're based in London, Virgin Atlantic is also eligible for MQM's and Skymiles. Delta has a few non-Skyteam partners that are "tier 1", where all flights earn 100% MQM's: Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, GOL, and JetAirways are the big four that earn the same MQM's as say KLM or AirFrance. If you go through that chart I linked to a few posts ago, you'll notice the airlines are listed in order of "Tier's" with Group1 partners at the top and the rest below.

VN isn't the best airline for MQM earning, but if it fits your travel plans and budget, then fly them. If you're flying to Asia, look into MU (China Eastern) or 9W (JetAirways).

Best of luck and welcome to Delta!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Sorry, but I don't know the specifics of your challenge. It's my understanding that challenges are personalized and not uniform, so I don't know how many MQM's you'll need to requalify. I would note, that for US based flyers, those with a US Address on their Skymiles profile, are required to meet a MQD threshold too. Assuming you're location on your Flyertalk profile is correct, you won't need to worry about this.

I'd also note that since you're based in London, Virgin Atlantic is also eligible for MQM's and Skymiles. Delta has a few non-Skyteam partners that are "tier 1", where all flights earn 100% MQM's: Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, GOL, and JetAirways are the big four that earn the same MQM's as say KLM or AirFrance. If you go through that chart I linked to a few posts ago, you'll notice the airlines are listed in order of "Tier's" with Group1 partners at the top and the rest below.

VN isn't the best airline for MQM earning, but if it fits your travel plans and budget, then fly them. If you're flying to Asia, look into MU (China Eastern) or 9W (JetAirways).

Best of luck and welcome to Delta!
Fantastic, thanks a lot!
One last thing, what is fare O ?
I read that it is "Award Ticket" but the below shows a class (O) which I find odd since it's not an award booking..

How Many MQM would this trip earn as a PT Medaillon?

Last edited by IAANN; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:07 am

Every airline uses their own fare class codes. O is an award fare class for business in Delta, but not other airlines. Alitalia uses O for economy.

As said before, go to the chart to find your potential earnings. Earnings are defined by the marketing carrier, otherwise known as the flight number. In your example above, you're looking at AF flights and not VN flights. So you'll need to look at the AF chart. O class isn't listed, so you won't earn anything on those flights.

​​​​​​​Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.