Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Aircraft being used in the Pacific Northwest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond

So....

Most of you know that I moved back to PDX from MSP in April.
In August, DL began offering PDX-SEA service via SkyWest. So far, I've been using that route to get to SEA and take advantage of their awesome nonstops to wherever I'm going (usually midwest/East coast) now that I'm "domestic only" with my job

Anyway--while I realize AS doesn't have the best aircraft to compete with--I can't help but notice that DL is really using the oldest/non-feature aircraft they can get away with. First of all, the PDX to SEA route uses a CR9 and while I am thankful it's a jet and not the Dash-8 AS flies, there is 0 overhead space for rollaboards!!

Been flying a lot of F out of SEA and everything they have has no power ports, no IFE (even to JFK??) and barely any overhead space. What gives?? Also, I flew to AMS on my last intl trip and noticed they were using a 767 that also hadn't been updated.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 8, 2014 at 6:46 am Reason: Violation of the TOS, removed a profanity
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I flew DCA-JFK-SEA recently, and the 26 seat ex-Song 757 with Dish Network, AVOD and at-seat power indicated at time of booking was subbed out for a 24 seat "old school" 757 with no amenities other than the screens mounted over the aisles and "Delta Radio". I enjoyed the upgrade as I got a decent meal, free adult beverages and a relatively comfortable sleep most of the way, but I booked this routing to take advantage of Dish Network and AVOD.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
Also, I flew to AMS on my last intl trip and noticed they were using a 767 that also hadn't been updated.
All international 767s have lie-flats in J and AVOD in Y. The overheads may not have been updated and were the smaller box style bins but the rest of the onboard product should have been consistent with the international standards.

Last edited by TTT; Oct 6, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Also, I flew to AMS on my last intl trip and noticed they were using a 767 that also hadn't been updated.
If you last flew that route on a Delta 767-300ER before Feb. '14, fine. If it was after that, your statement is a mistruth with intent to deceive.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I doubt that PDX-SEA could support anything more than a regional jet. The additional of Delta to the route is nice for the possibility of an upgrade to F and no baggage fees (as a Platinum), but Alaska still has the advantage of frequency.

My main route out of PDX is to ATL, and the aircraft on this route have recently improved. Service is now mostly on the 737-900, which I really like for the quality of the IFE. And for a significant part of the year one flight a day was on a flat-bed 767-300ER (now gone with the winter schedule, but hopefully returning in the spring).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
SI flew to AMS on my last intl trip and noticed they were using a 767 that also hadn't been updated.
Are you saying DL flew a 767-300 (non-ER) from SEA to AMS? I believe that route exceeds the range of the 767-300.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
First of all, the PDX to SEA route uses a CR9 and while I am thankful it's a jet and not the Dash-8 AS flies, there is 0 overhead space for rollaboards!!
My 21 inch fits fine on a CR9.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
My 21 inch fits fine on a CR9.
Does the CR9 complain when you go to insert your 21 inch?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you last flew that route on a Delta 767-300ER before Feb. '14, fine. If it was after that, your statement is a mistruth with intent to deceive.
^. All 767-300ER aircraft have been modified and have a very nice interior.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
It is possible we had an equipment swap and that was the issue. I am not trying to deceive anyone. I guess I was just spoiled having been in a hub city for so long. A333 is what is down from PDX to AMS so I think I was surprised to see a smaller one from SEATTLE
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: none
So....

In August, DL began offering PDX-SEA service via SkyWest. So far, I've been using that route to get to SEA and take advantage of their awesome nonstops to wherever I'm going (usually midwest/East coast) now that I'm "domestic only" with my job

Anyway--while I realize AS doesn't have the best aircraft to compete with--I can't help but notice that DL is really using the shittiest/oldest/non-feature aircraft they can get away with. First of all, the PDX to SEA route uses a CR9 and while I am thankful it's a jet and not the Dash-8 AS flies, there is 0 overhead space for rollaboards!!

Been flying a lot of F out of SEA and everything they have has no power ports, no IFE (even to JFK??) and barely any overhead space. What gives?? Also, I flew to AMS on my last intl trip and noticed they were using a 767 that also hadn't been updated.
No. I didn't know that you moved. When did that happen?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:20 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
So....

Doubtful

...First of all, the PDX to SEA route uses a CR9 and while I am thankful it's a jet and not the Dash-8 AS flies, there is 0 overhead space for rollaboards!!
For AS, this route is not about competing based on aircraft. It is all about convenience. And therefore, they run this as a true shuttle product. It is only 129 miles. ~25 flights/day including every half hour during commute times. Basically, whenever you get to the airport, you can walk on the next flight. If you are flying this route often as your O&D, then forget the equipment and take AS. DL just can't compete with 5x daily.

I have faced no such problems on my DL flights to/from HKG/NRT/ICN/AMS/CDG. Domestic has been fine as well, though I also find some of the older generation interiors and AVOD to JFK, ATL and MSP. No biggie for me. I like having the growing network. And upgrades on the short-haul, AS competing routes are easy: LAX, LAS, SFO, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
A333 is what is down from PDX to AMS so I think I was surprised to see a smaller one from SEATTLE
There are two daily SEA-AMS flights (though it goes down to one for the winter soon). The afternoon departure is on an A330, the evening departure uses a 767.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by andymo99
Doubtful ... For AS, this route is not about competing based on aircraft. It is all about convenience. And therefore, they run this as a true shuttle product. It is only 129 miles. ~25 flights/day including every half hour during commute times. Basically, whenever you get to the airport, you can walk on the next flight. If you are flying this route often as your O&D, then forget the equipment and take AS. DL just can't compete with 5x daily. ...
bingo

I know I'm one of the few in all of FT who really likes flying on the Q400, but 25-35 min flight time is a pretty good equalizer, and a comp beer or glass of wine -- and QUALITY products at that -- for EVERY passenger, not just the lucky 9-12 up front, tips the balance to AS in a heartbeat ... the only reason I've taken DL is the SEA DMQM promo and a few MQDs
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:02 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Does the CR9 complain when you go to insert your 21 inch?
ha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.