Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online - Sometimes you can upgrade, sometimes you can't and the price rollercoaster

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online - Sometimes you can upgrade, sometimes you can't and the price rollercoaster

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I'm just curious about something here....

When I book a flight I usually check the seating charts every few days and hop around like a Kangaroo until departure/or I get the seat I really want.

With that said I'm curious if someone knows why something happens.

Often there's no option to upgrade to business class on-line, but on this recent flight I've seen it appear then vanish, then appear again, then vanish, and so forth.

One time the upgrade for the entire flight was $700, then it went to $1,000, now it was down to like $450....

What causes these massive swings in price and the availability/non-availability online?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by mhoppes
I'm just curious about something here....

When I book a flight I usually check the seating charts every few days and hop around like a Kangaroo until departure/or I get the seat I really want.

With that said I'm curious if someone knows why something happens.

Often there's no option to upgrade to business class on-line, but on this recent flight I've seen it appear then vanish, then appear again, then vanish, and so forth.

One time the upgrade for the entire flight was $700, then it went to $1,000, now it was down to like $450....

What causes these massive swings in price and the availability/non-availability online?
They are charging you the difference in cost between what you paid and first class at that point in time. Fares, and fare buckets change over time - resulting in the variance you are seeing.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Swings in demand for the same. It is that simple.

I like to think there was a collective OUCH from UA when I cancelled 6 C EWR_TLV fares this summer, but I realize they know that historically some fraction of refundables cancel, and they plan for that. It was late and did result in lots of R space opening though...

Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
[QUOTE=mhoppes;23633486]One time the upgrade for the entire flight was $700, then it went to $1,000, now it was down to like $450....QUOTE]

How much was it to upgrade for half the flight?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Might be a dynamic price elasticity test by some curious Revenue Management AI routine? At what price offer for upgrades does Delta maximize their revenue?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw an upgrade offer when I looked at a domestic itinerary today on delta.dumb. It was the same price to upgrade as last week when I bought the ticket, although unless there have been changes in the fare rules, what I purchased then should not be available due to an advanced purchase requirement.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of the price rollercoaster..

I am booked on a V Fare outbound on the following leaving on Oct 15th:

BSL-AMS-ATL-SAV

Then on the return I am booked on M Fare on Oct 24th from:

MCO-ATL-AMS-BSL

I paid around $2300 total for this round trip about 2 weeks ago.. I was put on the upgrade list for the return portion overnight (which is a stretch for a TATL even as a PM) and I have been calling every day to see if any upgrades had come available for me to use Miles now that we cannot see them on EF. I have also been asking just for reference what the costs would be to upgrade to Business for the entire roundtrip fare and also what the cost would be to upgrade to business on the return portion only.

-Yesterday, I was quoted an ADDITIONAL $3825.00 just to upgrade on the return portion only
-Today I was quoted an ADDITIONAL $7710.40 to upgrade to business roundtrip, although the guy on the phone did it himself and did not transfer me to International Change Desk which usually happens.
-30 Minutes later TODAY, I called and got another rep. I asked again and I was transferred to the International Change Desk. I was quoted only $4100 additional to upgrade to business roundtrip and only $600 additional to upgrade on the return portion only..

I cannot believe how much all over the board they are in such a short period time! It certainly pays to keep calling!!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This could reflect fare class inventory fluctuations on your flights. The difference between M and Z could easilyy be about $600, while buying up to D, C, or J is much more expensive. Perhaps your phone agent knew it would be such a big price difference that you would be unlikely to take it so that he/she didn't bother transferring you to the rate desk to check the exact number.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Joe Flyer;23636233]
Originally Posted by mhoppes
One time the upgrade for the entire flight was $700, then it went to $1,000, now it was down to like $450....QUOTE]

How much was it to upgrade for half the flight?
It was like $350 for the one way and $100 for the return.....
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This could reflect fare class inventory fluctuations on your flights. The difference between M and Z could easilyy be about $600, while buying up to D, C, or J is much more expensive. Perhaps your phone agent knew it would be such a big price difference that you would be unlikely to take it so that he/she didn't bother transferring you to the rate desk to check the exact number.
Perhaps.. But $3800 one way upgrade quoted from the Intl Change Desk yesterday vs $600 one way upgrade from the Intl change desk today is a variance I have never seen before in a 24 hour period

Regardless, the 1st Rep today could have at least TRIED to sell me on the upgrade and transferred me to the Intl Change Desk for a more accurate price. After all, there is a big difference between $7710 and $4100 and I could have been a business traveler who had to upgrade and would have paid it via the Company... Instead, Delta only got an extra $600 out of me instead of thousands and I am up front TATL ^ Well worth it IMO

Last edited by UGATraveler; Oct 7, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by UGATraveler
Perhaps.. But $3800 one way upgrade quoted from the Intl Change Desk yesterday vs $600 one way upgrade from the Intl change desk today is a variance I have never seen before in a 24 hour period

Regardless, the 1st Rep today could have at least TRIED to sell me on the upgrade and transferred me to the Intl Change Desk for a more accurate price. After all, there is a big difference between $7710 and $4100 and I could have been a business traveler who had to upgrade and would have paid it via the Company... Instead, Delta only got an extra $600 out of me instead of thousands and I am up front TATL ^ Well worth it IMO
"If you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it."
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"If you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it."

I COULD afford it, just didn't want to pay it and also now can afford even more upgrades in the future because I saved so much money on this one ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.