Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

American Express Gives Me $200 for Delta Skymiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this has come up before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything...

Today I received a check for $200 from American Express saying they're reimbursing me for the value of Delta Skymiles they were unable to apply to my account. I'm a bit puzzled because:

1. I closed this credit card account over 18 months ago.
2. I received all the Skymiles I was supposed to receive. Maybe AE didn't apply my last statement's earned points to Skymiles and I missed that, but there is no way I earned $200 worth of Skymiles in one billing cycle.
3. The letter does not say how many Skymiles I earned that this check is for.

I'm certainly not complaining since I'd rather have the $200 anyway. The best thing I've received in the mail in ages!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Did you close your Skymiles account also, or just your Amex card?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:54 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Could this be a pro-rated refund of an annual fee?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

I didn't close my Skymiles account (still have around 30K available), and I never paid the annual fee since it was waived for the first year, and I cancelled the card after that one year.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I'd say cash the check and don't publicize it on the internet :P
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
I received a letter the other day saying I was getting a statement credit, my card is active, for the same reason and noticed the $200 posted. I went back and cannot find where I didn't receive any mileage credit, so I'm not sure what time period they are talking about, but I won't complain.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
^ Agree 100%

Or you could call to find out where to return the $$$.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
$200 worth of miles would be more than one long haul trip.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
.....and be prepared to graciously return the money should they ask, within some reasonable time (undefined by me).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
With that kind of luck, you should go cash it and buy lottery tickets with the whole thing.

Sound financial advice, honest. ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Bank Error in your favor. Collect $200.

Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MLCJ
I received a letter the other day saying I was getting a statement credit, my card is active, for the same reason and noticed the $200 posted. I went back and cannot find where I didn't receive any mileage credit, so I'm not sure what time period they are talking about, but I won't complain.
Huh, maybe we both benefited from some system glitch. I certainly am not complaining either.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
We received two $200 checks today (one for me, one for wife). However, they were both related to unreimbursed Starwood points. This thread is the only thing on the internet I could find about it. No idea why we got these but they are related to closed SPG Amex accounts.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by AdamS
We received two $200 checks today (one for me, one for wife). However, they were both related to unreimbursed Starwood points. This thread is the only thing on the internet I could find about it. No idea why we got these but they are related to closed SPG Amex accounts.
there's now a thread on the $200 for Starwood in the Starwood forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-spg-amex.html
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Just got a letter offering me a $200 check for miles they couldn't post despite all miles being posted... Weird but I'll take it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.