FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MQM and First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1617047-mqm-first-class.html)

plead.5th Oct 1, 2014 7:01 am

MQM and First Class

Couple Questions, is there a bump on MQM's in 1st class?

I need about 8500 and 1200 MQD for Silver.

I'm flying PHL to LAS in December and thought about trying to get to Silver, only because I spend a huge amount with Starwood annually and the Crossover points would be worth it to me.

Thanks

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2014 7:04 am

Originally Posted by plead.5th (Post 23608755)

I'm flying PHL to LAS in December and thought about trying to get to Silver, only because I spend a huge amount with Starwood annually and the Crossover points would be worth it to me.

Thanks

Yes if you pay for a confirmed FC ticket. Fare classes G A P earn 150% MQMs while (full) F earns 200%. Upgrading with miles won't do it.

BTW the highest two coach fare classes, Y and B, also earn 150% MQMs but flying in FC is obviously more fun.

plead.5th Oct 1, 2014 7:19 am

How can I buy full F if only A&P are listed on the website?

3Cforme Oct 1, 2014 7:28 am

Use Advanced Search and specify F fare class.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...psb1952119.png

rylan Oct 1, 2014 8:58 am

And note that often, a full F ticket can cost over 2x than the discount A fare.

Last caution... even if you pick F, be sure to look at the fare basis. I've seen some "F" tickets where the basis is actually C... meaning the C fare books into the F bucket, so you only get 150%.

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 23609395)
And note that often, a full F ticket can cost over 2x than the discount A fare.

Last caution... even if you pick F, be sure to look at the fare basis. I've seen some "F" tickets where the basis is actually C... meaning the C fare books into the F bucket, so you only get 150%.

That could lead to some interesting conversations with DL: "Your F class ticket isn't really F, it just said F when you purchased it......"

rylan Oct 1, 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23609413)
That could lead to some interesting conversations with DL: "Your F class ticket isn't really F, it just said F when you purchased it......"

I went through that last year on a flight... saw the outbound in F for not much more than the P fare, and the return was only available in P so picked that for the 200% bonus on one direction. Posted as 150% with paid C / flown F.

Had to argue for the bonus and was told that I had a C fare, so I was asking how it went in the F bucket even though C inventory was available. Luckily I had a screen capture of the booking page showing the 200% mqm earning breakdown so got the credit.

BusTrav8yrs Oct 1, 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by plead.5th (Post 23608755)

Thanks

If you are SPG Platinum you don't need to get the DL Silver

If you are registered for Crossover Rewards and are an SPG Platinum elite member, you are eligible to receive Priority Check-In, Priority Boarding, Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades on paid tickets and your first checked bag free in accordance with the SkyMiles Program Rules and the Crossover Rewards Terms and Conditions on eligible Delta flights.

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 23609692)
If you are SPG Platinum you don't need to get the DL Silver

If you are registered for Crossover Rewards and are an SPG Platinum elite member, you are eligible to receive Priority Check-In, Priority Boarding, Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades on paid tickets and your first checked bag free in accordance with the SkyMiles Program Rules and the Crossover Rewards Terms and Conditions on eligible Delta flights.

But FOs get higher upgrade priority and can be upgraded at their window, versus SPG Plats only on the day of travel.

Also, DL elites (I'm not sure whether FO is high enough for this) get SPG points equal to DL MQDs for their flights, so if you're elite enough in both programs, you get extra miles/points in both directions even though you have higher upgrade privileges without using crossover benefits for that.

javabytes Oct 1, 2014 10:04 am

It sounds as though OP wants to qualify for FO so he can get the 1 mile per $1 spent at Starwood. My understanding is this benefit is not available to non-Medallions, regardless of your SPG status level.

woodenshoe101 Oct 1, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23609413)

Isn't this already the case with UP fares?

"Your A fare showed as first class, we sold it as first class, and you will be in first class, except in the case of IRROPS... ha! gotcha! no First class re-accommodation for you because you weren't adept enough to look at the fare basis and see it was actually a coach fare with instant up".

IMHO this is one of DL's shadier practices (I view it as bait and switch).

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 (Post 23610559)

"Your A fare showed as first class, we sold it as first class, and you will be in first class, except in the case of IRROPS... ha! gotcha! no First class re-accommodation for you because you weren't adept enough to look at the fare basis and see it was actually a coach fare with instant up".

Yes, for G A P fares, but it's even worse if you think you're buying FULL F and spending a lot of money to do so, although if the underlying fare is C that should safely keep you up front in IROPs.

plead.5th Oct 1, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes, I want to earn the 1 mile per dollar spent at Starwood. So I have to get to Silver. My Phl/LAS at 150% wont cut it so I will need a small trip to make a mileage run.

3Cforme Oct 1, 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 (Post 23610559)

Can you show an example where delta.com searches by F fare class (not First/Business cabin), yield something other than F-basis fares?

puddinhead Oct 1, 2014 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by plead.5th (Post 23612984)
Yes, I want to earn the 1 mile per dollar spent at Starwood. So I have to get to Silver. My Phl/LAS at 150% wont cut it so I will need a small trip to make a mileage run.

Can you connect through LAX or SEA? Las would add another 700 miles each way (200 miles farther plus 500 for LAX-LAS).