Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Wear Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Google Wear Boarding Pass

Anyone have an Android Wear smartwatch and try to use the watch boarding pass? The baroda is pretty small.. Didn't seem to work on my first attempt so I just used the phone app.

Does seem like a geek way to check in..

Last edited by jreuschl; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:36 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jreuschl
Anyone have an Android Wear smartwatch and try to use the watch boarding pass? The baroda is pretty small.. Didn't seem to work on my first attempt so I just used the phone app.

Does seem like a geek way to check in..
And the key benefit to the user is what?

Convenience?

Or...

The opportunity to bask in the awareness that he/she is being observed by others as having the latest tech gizmo?

Having watched many fumbling with the smart phone "boarding passes", slowing down the boarding process as a consequence, I am still a paper advocate.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Former Diamond
For the watch, saw one guy try and it failed. Not sure which watch it was.

I have noticed that the scanner picks up iPhone easier than most android devices. Think it may have to do with screen brightness as androids usually have battery saver modes default active
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Skymiles PM
I've done it. Works well enough, provided you're physically able to reach the scanners, which isn't always the case.

Here's my writeup on it: http://www.androidcentral.com/smartw...ng-first-class
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta PM
never had a problem with my Android devices using the scanners, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
For the watch, saw one guy try and it failed. Not sure which watch it was.

I have noticed that the scanner picks up iPhone easier than most android devices. Think it may have to do with screen brightness as androids usually have battery saver modes default active
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Convenience?

Or...

The opportunity to bask in the awareness that he/she is being observed by others as having the latest tech gizmo?

Having watched many fumbling with the smart phone "boarding passes", slowing down the boarding process as a consequence, I am still a paper advocate.

You're quite the technology advocate, huh?

I'd say this is MUCH more convenient than paper and/or a mobile boarding pass - when the kinks get ironed out. Nothing to bask about either.

I'm sure when the first people started using their phones you probably had the same thoughts.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by MEzz
never had a problem with my Android devices using the scanners, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
Hence I said MOST but not ALL
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:45 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta Air Lines
We're glad to hear that some of you have been able to use and we welcome your feedback.

Another way for the boarding pass to get onto your Android Wear device is to come within a couple miles of your departure airport.

When it comes to scanning on flatbed scanners, I've found that the easiest way to get through is to turn the watch so that the face is on the bottom of your wrist.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:27 pm

Convenience?

Or...

I don't have any of these techno watches (I don't wear any watch at all actually) -- but I can clearly see one advantage -- having a free hand.

I like to prep for boarding so as not to take up any more time than needed in the aisle. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This means getting my headphones and my kindle/whatever I have with me out of my rollaboard before boarding. Now add in holding a paper pass or a phone or whatever, it's just one more thing. If you've got a display on your wrist, I think using it for a boarding pass is actually a super-practical excuse.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Danny_DeltaeCommerce
We're glad to hear that some of you have been able to use and we welcome your feedback.

Another way for the boarding pass to get onto your Android Wear device is to come within a couple miles of your departure airport.

When it comes to scanning on flatbed scanners, I've found that the easiest way to get through is to turn the watch so that the face is on the bottom of your wrist.
I'm just going to throw this out there:
Will the new heartbeat authentication sensors ever become boarding passes so we can just walk in without scanning tickets?!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
I'm just going to throw this out there:
Will the new heartbeat authentication sensors ever become boarding passes so we can just walk in without scanning tickets?!
Im hoping they start using NFC, just waive your phone (or watch) close to the scanner and it reads it. No need to worry about the legibility of the print out or phone/watch screen. Somehow seems more secure to me also
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I don't have any of these techno watches (I don't wear any watch at all actually) -- but I can clearly see one advantage -- having a free hand.

I like to prep for boarding so as not to take up any more time than needed in the aisle. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This means getting my headphones and my kindle/whatever I have with me out of my rollaboard before boarding. Now add in holding a paper pass or a phone or whatever, it's just one more thing. If you've got a display on your wrist, I think using it for a boarding pass is actually a super-practical excuse.
How easy is it to use the wristwatch boarding pass if you're holding something in that hand?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Agreed.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
^ This. Had a corporate uberdoucher who was actually TALKING on his phone as he stepped up to board. Had to hang up, pull up the app (and we all know how 'fast' that loads) then get it scanned to board....while we all waited behind him.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:15 am

I hate this "feature" for many reasons. Is there a way to turn it off, so my Delta app doesn't put the boarding pass on my watch? I can't use it for other things when it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.