Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just saw on OMAAT that KE is adding BOS - ICN on the 789 as of April 2019. Nice add -- assume JV is a big driver here -- hopefully we'll continue to see expansion

Article: https://onemileatatime.com/korean-air-boston/
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Since th JV waqs annoucned, have their been any changes to DLs interline baggage policy on separate tickets like with AF/KLM?

ie I have ATL-ICN on DL, then a KE separate ticket ICN-TPE...

thanks
FDW
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Quick question here...if I book SFO>ICN>SFO in Prestige Class on DL.com vs KE.com, will I receive the same MQDs, MQMs and RDMs booked on either site? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by audidudi
Quick question here...if I book SFO>ICN>SFO in Prestige Class on DL.com vs KE.com, will I receive the same MQDs, MQMs and RDMs booked on either site? Thanks!
Where you buy doesn't matter, what you buy with respect to flight numbers is what matters.

DL flight numbers will earn at DL rates. KE flight numbers will earn at KE partner rates (no matter whose metal is actually being used for that sector). Doesn't matter what channel you use to book it (DL.com, KE.com, corporate travel, Expedia, etc.) -- the marketing carrier flight numbers will determine what your earnings are.
bgriff likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:01 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Duke787
Where you buy doesn't matter, what you buy with respect to flight numbers is what matters.

DL flight numbers will earn at DL rates. KE flight numbers will earn at KE partner rates (no matter whose metal is actually being used for that sector). Doesn't matter what channel you use to book it (DL.com, KE.com, corporate travel, Expedia, etc.) -- the marketing carrier flight numbers will determine what your earnings are.
To be more specific, MQMs will generally be the same, but redeemable miles and MQDs on DL flight numbers would be based on actual ticket price, whereas on KE flight numbers they would be based on a multiple of distance from the table under Korean here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

So if the price is the same either way you'd want to do the math and see which one is more lucrative. For Prestige Class if it's a relatively cheap ticket KE flight numbers are likely to be more attractive, whereas if it's a relatively expensive ticket DL flight numbers probably would be.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
delete
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was hoping the pros here could help me out.

I'll be flying ORD->AMS, AMS->CPT, JNB->AMS, AMS-ORD. All segments are on KLM metal, but they're all Delta codeshare flights (fare code V). According to the Delta website, that is a total of 19826 miles flown. From what I understand, if I am to credit this trip to KE, I will be eligible for 70% of the total miles flown thus 19,826*0.7 = 13,878 KE miles.

Is this correct? That seems very generous since before May 1st, class V accrues absolutely nothing. The KE website seems to confirm that (https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/s...elta-airlines/). My ticket is very deeply discounted ($550 to fly roundtrip from Chicago to South Africa). I'm very surprised that I would get almost 14k KE miles on top of that.

On a seperate note, I plan to speculatively transfer KE miles from Chase before the end date. I need 80k miles for a one-way to Japan, and I wonder if I should speculatively transfer 80k-13k miles... I understand that it is a risk for sure.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was hoping the pros here could help me out.

I'll be flying ORD->AMS, AMS->CPT, JNB->AMS, AMS-ORD. All segments are on KLM metal, but they're all Delta codeshare flights (fare code V). According to the Delta website, that is a total of 19826 miles flown. From what I understand, if I am to credit this trip to KE, I will be eligible for 70% of the total miles flown thus 19,826*0.7 = 13,878 KE miles.

Is this correct? That seems very generous since before May 1st, class V accrues absolutely nothing. The KE website seems to confirm that (https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/s...elta-airlines/). My ticket is very deeply discounted ($550 to fly roundtrip from Chicago to South Africa). I'm very surprised that I would get almost 14k KE miles on top of that.

On a seperate note, I plan to speculatively transfer KE miles from Chase before the end date. I need 80k miles for a one-way to Japan, and I wonder if I should speculatively transfer 80k-13k miles... I understand that it is a risk for sure.

Thanks for the help!
I think you meant to write about KL, not KE! So you need to re-write your thread to reflect the correct changes/info. The only part which is correct is "All segments are on KLM metal"!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:47 pm

KE = Korean Air. I will be flying DL ticketed KLM metal, and I want to credit my miles to Korean Air (hence I posted this in the Korean Air and Delta JV thread... and pasted a link to the Korean Air website....)

Not sure why you were so critical of my post.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
KE = Korean Air. I will be flying DL ticketed KLM metal, and I want to credit my miles to Korean Air (hence I posted this in the Korean Air and Delta JV thread... and pasted a link to the Korean Air website....)

Since both of your questions are about KE's frequent flyer program, not DL's, you should really be asking on KE's board. Few here are going to be Skypass members.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club

If you are flying on Delta numbers...you will earn into your Partner Airline category...... as advertised on KE website, the earned mileage rates for Delta flights since it is a Delta numbered flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
I was taking the family to KUL next summer, and did searches on DL for J -- they are 3x more expensive than a J fare booked directly with KE. So, my question is can I book directly with Korean and get the MQM/MDQ credit on DL? These are paid (no points redeemed) flights. Never done this before so I don't want to screw it up. How do I make sure I get the DL FF credit correctly? The flights are all Korean metal, YYZ-ICN-KUL... Thanks,
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
I was taking the family to KUL next summer, and did searches on DL for J -- they are 3x more expensive than a J fare booked directly with KE. So, my question is can I book directly with Korean and get the MQM/MDQ credit on DL? These are paid (no points redeemed) flights. Never done this before so I don't want to screw it up. How do I make sure I get the DL FF credit correctly? The flights are all Korean metal, YYZ-ICN-KUL... Thanks,
When you make the booking with KE, there should be a point where you have the opportunity to enter a FF# and there should be options to choose different programs including Delta SkyMiles, and you just input your SM#.

Would be similar for any other case where you were going to fly a partner airline (any Delta partner like KLM, Air France etc; any Star Alliance partner when flying UA, etc.).

Very important to save all your boarding passes until the miles post to your Delta account, as occasionally there can be issues getting the miles to post so you'll want to keep watch and follow up if things don't come through. You will also usually see your Delta FF# (and SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus status if applicable) printed on your Korean boarding passes to give you some level of comfort that the # is attached; if it doesn't you can ask a Korean check-in agent to re-add the number. But even if it does print, still save the boarding passes until your miles come through.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
It’s not only possible, it’s likely better for your purposes because flights will credit as percentage of distance flown instead of as the money you spend. For discounted J fares that you consider to be a good deal, this almost always works out in your favor...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
When you make the booking with KE, there should be a point where you have the opportunity to enter a FF# and there should be options to choose different programs including Delta SkyMiles, and you just input your SM#.

Would be similar for any other case where you were going to fly a partner airline (any Delta partner like KLM, Air France etc; any Star Alliance partner when flying UA, etc.).
Just booked some KE flights on their site a couple of weeks ago and can confirm there is a FF field that has DL as a selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.