Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
It’s about time! Don’t understand why DL never gave out any MQMs/MQDs on KE markets flights before this change. If airlines like HA (who isn’t even in SkyTeam), SV, ME, and GA earn some MQMs, why was KE exempted from this for so long?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It’s about time! Don’t understand why DL never gave out any MQMs/MQDs on KE markets flights before this change. If airlines like HA (who isn’t even in SkyTeam), SV, ME, and GA earn some MQMs, why was KE exempted from this for so long?
There's a very messy and complicated history between these two airlines, they got engaged and then broke up many times. About time indeed!!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
It will awesome if DL GUC can be used on KE operated flights like KL.
Hope this does not happen. For one thing, KE elites would not have the same opportunity on DL flights.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It’s about time! Don’t understand why DL never gave out any MQMs/MQDs on KE markets flights before this change......
DL did until a few years ago.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
DL did until a few years ago.
And they do again, but MQMs MQDs and all that you wanted, Tier 1!!! Korean Air Mileage Earn On/After May 1, 2018

XPurchased Accrual Class
BASE MILES
CLASS BONUS
TOTAL MILES EARNED
MEDALLION QUALIFICATION MILES2
MEDALLION QUALIFICATION DOLLARS3
MEDALLION MILEAGE BONUS4
First: P,F (International)

100%
200%
300%
200%
60%
Business: J

100%
100%
200%
200%
40%
Business: C, D, I, R

100%
100%
200%
150%
40%
Full Economy: W, Y, B

100%
25%
125%
150%
25%
Economy: S (International)

100%
100%
100%
20%
Economy: M, H, E
100%
100%
100%
20%
Discounted Economy: G, Q
50%
50%
100%
10%
Discounted Economy: K, L, U (International)
50%
50%
100%
10%
Deep Discounted Economy: T
25%
25%
100%
5%
Deep Discounted Economy: N (International)
25%
25%
100%
5%
See How Much You’ll Earn

Any eligible flight that is not Delta-marketed will earn miles according to these partner airline rules. For certain partners, earn will be determined based on marketing and ticketing carrier. Not sure what Delta-marketed means? Learn more about this.

Korean Air-marketed flights in the following fare classes are eligible for accrual based on the percentages in the table below, multiplied by the flight distance (as determined in Delta or the partner carrier’s sole discretion)1.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Class Exclusions: If a class is not listed, no miles are earned. No miles are earned for Award Travel.

Other Exclusions: Accrual is not eligible for KE flights 9000-9999

(1) Partner-marketed flights will earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.

(2) Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) are used as a counter to determine SkyMiles Medallion status. Flights and itineraries eligible for MQMs will earn a minimum of 500 MQMs per segment.

(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid.

(4) Medallion Mileage Bonus is based on Base Miles earned: Diamond - 120%; Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%; Silver - 40%

*For purposes of mileage credit, "distance flown" means the calculated distance between origin and destination, as determined by Delta in its sole discretion, regardless of the actual distance traveled on any individual flight.

MILEAGE EARN BETWEEN JAN. 16 - APR. 30, 2018Class Exclusions: If a class is not listed, no miles are earned. No miles are earned for Award Travel.

(1) Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.

(2) All Korean Air marketed flights, even if ticketed by Delta (ticket number begins with "006"), are not eligible for Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs).

*For purposes of mileage credit, "distance flown" means the calculated distance between origin and destination, as determined by Delta in its sole discretion, regardless of the actual distance traveled on any individual flight.

MILEAGE EARN BETWEEN JAN. 1, 2015 AND DEC. 31, 2017Class Exclusions: If a class is not listed, no miles are earned. No miles are earned for Award Travel.

(1) Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid. Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline.
(2) All Korean Air marketed flights, even if ticketed by Delta (ticket number begins with "006"), are not eligible for Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs).

Old May 1, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleuth

Hope this does not happen. For one thing, KE elites would not have the same opportunity on DL flights.
It does happen but only for YBM fares.
GLOBAL UPGRADE TERMS & CONDITIONS...................Valid on Delta-marketed, Korean Air-operated flights for use globally on Delta's published fares booked in Y or B class to Korean Air's Z class, or booked in M class to Korean Air's O class................For Virgin Atlantic, Korean Air and Aeromexico, upgrades are only valid for Delta marketed flights.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA
Would it be a good idea to start accumulating mqms towards DL status given I live in SE asia? And given I already have KE skypass Morning Calm.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:30 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Depends on what you want to get out of the program vs an Asian airline. You don't have MQDs to deal with.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA
Perks would be a really nice thing to have.. In Morning Calm I only get 4 lounge access per 2 years. Aside from Priority boarding, Priority Check in thats about it. Though, I would start from scratch if I go with DL. I am seeing I would be flying 2 times with in this year alone with KE from SE asia to US round trip + a few flights with in Intercontinental US with DL. I would prolly get silver after 1 trip though.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Man, the tide has turned. All my flights in/out of Asia are now passing through ICN. The system blocks good/preferred/bulkhead seats and pre-flight seat selection looks yucky in economy. There is no comfort+ or similar premium economy, so there is no upgrade of any kind on KE flights
Old May 1, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Mods, now that the JV is launching, can we split out the new discussion into a new thread? If it stays buried in this months old thread, lots of folks who don’t check the thread regularly are going to miss out on the goodness of this announcement (at least until Delta sends a mass email about it)...
Old May 1, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
Man, the tide has turned. All my flights in/out of Asia are now passing through ICN. The system blocks good/preferred/bulkhead seats and pre-flight seat selection looks yucky in economy. There is no comfort+ or similar premium economy, so there is no upgrade of any kind on KE flights
I hope that the JV will lead to better seat selection (at least in the front section of economy).
Old May 1, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by fromYXU
I hope that the JV will lead to better seat selection (at least in the front section of economy).
Not a chance!!! I booked several trips for May, all showing decent seats available at search. I ticketed the flights with seats selected and none of them sticks. I called Diamond desk, they called codeshare desk, which told me to call KE. I called KE and they told me to call DL back. Long story short, 4 hours later, I have several TPAC flights with no seat selection while the aircraft is showing 40% empty!!!

This is the most screwed up JV ever. I called Korean Air and their res agent in Malaysia call center told me the JV specifically said no advanced seat selection and the DL people didn't reach their agreement!!!

I am as angry and frustrated as I could get. I went back into the system and cancelled all my flights with KE segments and the agent on the phone was shocked I managed to cancel. Genius - it's called 24-hr risk free cancellation! NO Korean Air for me!!! I hope DL does not cancel more TPAC routes, if they do, I am seriously going to United. There is something seriously wrong when your top elite can't pick a seat on a flight with 40% empty seats and DL is PR'ing this as some awesome JV!
Old May 1, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Not a chance!!! I booked several trips for May, all showing decent seats available at search. I ticketed the flights with seats selected and none of them sticks. I called Diamond desk, they called codeshare desk, which told me to call KE. I called KE and they told me to call DL back. Long story short, 4 hours later, I have several TPAC flights with no seat selection while the aircraft is showing 40% empty!!!

This is the most screwed up JV ever. I called Korean Air and their res agent in Malaysia call center told me the JV specifically said no advanced seat selection and the DL people didn't reach their agreement!!!

I am as angry and frustrated as I could get. I went back into the system and cancelled all my flights with KE segments and the agent on the phone was shocked I managed to cancel. Genius - it's called 24-hr risk free cancellation! NO Korean Air for me!!! I hope DL does not cancel more TPAC routes, if they do, I am seriously going to United. There is something seriously wrong when your top elite can't pick a seat on a flight with 40% empty seats and DL is PR'ing this as some awesome JV!
I had no problem choosing my seats on the DL App after booking SFO>ICN>SFO on KE (code-shared with DL), for my last trip in April. I was in Prestige Class if that makes a difference. Both flights confirmed my seats immediately on booking, including the desirable upper deck on the B748i on the return. Even the MQDs, MQMs, MQSs and RDMs all posted within 24 hrs on both trips.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold

The JV is in effect as of today, so it is hard to comment on it based on an experience dated before May 1st. I am aware of those problems and I hope that the new JV will fix them. It requires IT system changes and we will have to be patient.
CalebMCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.