Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Skymark is in dire financial straits right now. All the LCCs in Japan are having a tough go of it.

You seem more enamored of a snack box and an empty middle seat than I am. On board, EuroBusiness is barely better than the experience on B6, if that.
Not at all enamored of that Dutch food, but these aren't aspects of LCCs. Nor are free drinks, etc.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Negative. The AA-JL joint venture permits AA to share in revenues and profits on JAL connections at HND and NRT. CX HKG-SIN is codeshared by AA but AA doesn't share revenues or profits with CX - in fact, AA competes with CX.

Anecdotally, the top search results for USA-SIN on aa.com display connections on JL at HND and NRT ahead of CX connections at HKG.

Like someone else said, you're reading way too much into a single AA flight to HKG, which is flown primarily for HKG O&D traffic.
I was basing my comments on anecdotal evidence from people I know who travel to SIN regularly on oneworld. They used to be routed through NRT and now they always seem to fly through HKG.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

What APAC customer base? You mean the one in Japan that you claim they were going to abandon anyway?

This notion that NW had some large, loyal APAC customer base that DL has somehow frittered away is pure fantasy. DL can attract APAC customers the same way NW did, competitive pricing.
NW was flying APAC O/Ds for a half century and you don't think they had an APAC customer base? Now that's a fantasy.

2) Running an APAC Interport doesn't have the same downsides for a carrier based in Asia that it does for one based in the US.
I would contend they inherit a lot of the same problems on the longer haul routes if they accommodate DLs current USA schedule. Like I said before I don't see many existing KE customers buying a SIN-ICN that checks in at 4:30am.

DL's going to have to give on their schedule or sweeten the JV pot (compared to say AF/KL intra Europe.) Maybe a bit of both. KE may really need the money, but if they see themselves having to do a lot of extra work for DL's table scraps the deal isn't going to happen. Since none of us are privy to the details AF/KL JV or a potential KE JV it's all speculation on what the stumbling block is. Hence back to, if it was easy it would be done already.

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I think DL's failure for bringing JAL into a JV really hinders their ability to connect passengers to domestic Japanese destinations for US passengers.
The failure was well before that. PMNW you could book domestic JL tickets as both revenue and award. That's just one more thing DL messed up post merger in APAC.

Originally Posted by moondog
If DL puts the final nail in the "NRT as hub" concept, I can't imagine them ever needing to beg for more slots.
NRT may eek out staying a modest DL hub. Despite the claims of the demise of Japan there's a resurgence of western companies moving their APAC HQs into SIN and TYO. There has been a string of incidents between western companies and the Chinese gov't that has them scrambling to move APAC executives and data outside Chinese borders. I think that will have more of an effect for TYO than something like the 2020 Olympics.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
NW was flying APAC O/Ds for a half century and you don't think they had an APAC customer base? Now that's a fantasy.
No, NW was flying connecting flights to and from the US from a NRT base. A simple look at the schedule would show that to be the case. And no, I don't think they had any appreciable, loyal customer base within the APAC market. Most certainly, I don't think they have any appreciable, loyal customer base in Japan that is sizable enough and spends enough to have made a lick of difference in the overall profitability of the location.

Ask yourself this... If the Japanese customer base were so important, why was NW going all in on the 787 to overfly NRT? They didn't want to fly intra-Asia any more than DL does.

I would contend they inherit a lot of the same problems on the longer haul routes if they accommodate DLs current USA schedule. Like I said before I don't see many existing KE customers buying a SIN-ICN that checks in at 4:30am.
The problems I was referencing result from running a hub 5k miles and a country and culture apart from the vast majority of your operations. If doing so made sense, DL wouldn't have abandoned Pan Am's FRA hub, QF wouldn't have drawn down SIN, BA would still fly to OZ, and UA wouldn't have abandoned NRT. It is expensive and a waste of time to do so. Everybody in the industry knows it.

NRT may eek out staying a modest DL hub. Despite the claims of the demise of Japan there's a resurgence of western companies moving their APAC HQs into SIN and TYO. There has been a string of incidents between western companies and the Chinese gov't that has them scrambling to move APAC executives and data outside Chinese borders. I think that will have more of an effect for TYO than something like the 2020 Olympics.
1) I think you overestimate the importance of HQ locations. That is doubly true of regional HQs. Many such locations actually have quite lean staffs.
2) Any company that would put their Asian principal in TYO must be so low margin that they don't care about taxes or they have a bunch of college dropouts running their tax department.
3) I would love to see where any of those incidents could have been avoided by moving the regional HQ. Heck, I'd love to see where any of those incidents related to a corporate HQ in China.
4) Companies have a big presence in China because it is a big, growing market and because that is where suppliers are. That hasn't changed and likely won't anytime soon.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was basing my comments on anecdotal evidence from people I know who travel to SIN regularly on oneworld. They used to be routed through NRT and now they always seem to fly through HKG.
Do a search for LAX-SIN on aa.com, and you'll note that TYO connections always come up first, even when they are more expensive than HKG connections. I'm guessing that your friends go with HKG because they prefer it to TYO.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:31 pm

No, NW was flying connecting flights to and from the US from a NRT base. A simple look at the schedule would show that to be the case. And no, I don't think they had any appreciable, loyal customer base within the APAC market. Most certainly, I don't think they have any appreciable, loyal customer base in Japan that is sizable enough and spends enough to have made a lick of difference in the overall profitability of the location.

Ask yourself this... If the Japanese customer base were so important, why was NW going all in on the 787 to overfly NRT? They didn't want to fly intra-Asia any more than DL does.
NW was going to use 787 to overfly because they served an APAC customer base, not just a Japanese customer base. They thought they could get a premium for the more direct and shorter duration routing because they knew what the O/D details were. That's not my speculation, that's what I was told directly by NW folks who were on the 787 program.

I feel like we might actually be agreeing on the overall themes here, but you're getting stuck on semantics.

1) I think you overestimate the importance of HQ locations. That is doubly true of regional HQs. Many such locations actually have quite lean staffs.
2) Any company that would put their Asian principal in TYO must be so low margin that they don't care about taxes or they have a bunch of college dropouts running their tax department.
3) I would love to see where any of those incidents could have been avoided by moving the regional HQ. Heck, I'd love to see where any of those incidents related to a corporate HQ in China.
4) Companies have a big presence in China because it is a big, growing market and because that is where suppliers are. That hasn't changed and likely won't anytime soon.
These are perplexing conclusions. The tax one in particular is just odd and makes some pretty wild assumptions about how a company structure accounting.

As far as companies moving certain ops out of China, that's a real thing. Not just some speculation I'm throwing out there because of I knew a guy who moved or something. There have been news coverage about western companies moving office operations out of China all year. Sure keep the local sales and support staff there but place your executives, engineering, intellectual property and records at arms length. That doesn't mean you can't expand in the Chinese market either. Getting further into this is a bit OMNI, but it's big names moving and you can easily read about in at various financial news sources.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure that a JV would be so good for FFers, even if it puts KE into Group 1 status with DL for full MQM and RDM earning.

The problem is all the DL award blackout dates and the FULL Y requirement for using DL miles to upgrade KE flights under the SkyTeam Upgrade Award program, where blackout dates also apply.

To alleviate this, we would need to be able to use miles and other upgrade instruments such as GUCs for KE flights with reasonable fare class restrictions and reasonable availability.
I LOLed.

I'm sure this JV, if it materializes, will be just as "seamless" and "metal-neutral" as the DL/AF/KL JV.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Detroiter
In my work life I was part of a team negotiating a JV with Kia. Our team leader (who was born in Korea) said, "In Korea, first you sign the agreement, then you negotiate". And it was true. That was the most tempestuous JV in the history of the world. Koreans are proud to a fault, and don't want to be seen as junior partners to anyone.
As someone who has also had to negotiate a JV with a Korean company, I completely agree. They also announced the JV to the press before it was a done deal and then expected us to conform to the terms they had announced to the press so they wouldn't lose face.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is imminent? The cited article was published on Sept 22. Does it mean a JV may materialize by the end of October? end of the year? end of this decade?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:43 pm
Suspended

NW was going to use 787 to overfly because they served an APAC customer base, not just a Japanese customer base.
I'm not the one that argued DL made a grave mistake in ditching a Japanese credit card partnership.

These are perplexing conclusions. The tax one in particular is just odd and makes some pretty wild assumptions about how a company structure accounting.
I make a lot of money operationalizing international legal entity setups. Nobody sets up a foreign principal in Japan.

As far as companies moving certain ops out of China, that's a real thing.
Cool. Offer some examples.

There have been news coverage about western companies moving office operations out of China all year. Sure keep the local sales and support staff there but place your executives, engineering, intellectual property and records at arms length. That doesn't mean you can't expand in the Chinese market either. Getting further into this is a bit OMNI, but it's big names moving and you can easily read about in at various financial news sources.
1) American companies dealing with China are not outsourcing executives, engineering, or intellectual property to China.
2) American companies that aren't run by idiots are not moving executives engineering, or intellectual property to Japan.
3) Corporate travel isn't driven by the legal domicile of corporate IP. If it were, then places like Luxembourg and the Isle of Man would have a lot more aircraft traffic. Heck, Ireland would see more traffic if that were the case.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:22 am

1) American companies dealing with China are not outsourcing executives, engineering, or intellectual property to China.
2) American companies that aren't run by idiots are not moving executives engineering, or intellectual property to Japan.
3) Corporate travel isn't driven by the legal domicile of corporate IP. If it were, then places like Luxembourg and the Isle of Man would have a lot more aircraft traffic. Heck, Ireland would see more traffic if that were the case.
Following are my thoughts on the China issue:

1) It is true that various types of manufacturing have been moving into SE Asia during the course of the past several years
2) It is also true that Xi Jinping's regime is determined --at least on paper-- to pursue a self-sufficiency focused agenda, which has put a number of foreign companies and prominent individuals in tight spots (I also don't have any specific examples off the top of my head, but they aren't especially hard to find on google)
3) But, in spite of 1 and 2, selling into China is BIG business, and getting bigger
4) My company and most of the companies we work with fall into #3 (much easier than dealing with Chinese companies)
5) It is impossible to fully engage the market without having a physical presence in the country (just ask any consumer or b2b facing brand)
6) I do spend a lot more time in HK now because
-we keep as much of our money and our IP as possible there
-executives at foreign companies are increasingly based in HK
-BUT, pretty much everyone in the business spends A LOT of time in China itself, and I don't expect this to change any time soon

Last edited by moondog; Oct 4, 2014 at 12:32 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Skymark is in dire financial straits right now. All the LCCs in Japan are having a tough go of it.
And DL was once in bankruptcy court, so I'm not sure why this is necessarily a disqualifying point. Moreover, from what I've read, Skymark was harmed by their A380 cancellation rather than running an unfeasible operation. Japan domestic is quite profitable for the legacy carriers and the LCCs should gain traction in coming years.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
And DL was once in bankruptcy court, so I'm not sure why this is necessarily a disqualifying point.
Does Japan have the equivalent of Chapter 11? And are there investors or creditors willing to finance them?

From DL's perspective, it calls into question whether they are a partner you can rely on and whether they can build enough of a network and infrastructure to be useful.

Moreover, from what I've read, Skymark was harmed by their A380 cancellation rather than running an unfeasible operation.
Skymark's A380 order was cancelled because nobody believed they could actually pay for the planes. My understanding is that they aren't even sure they can manage to pay for the remaining A330s they have on order.

Japan domestic is quite profitable for the legacy carriers and the LCCs should gain traction in coming years.
If it is so profitable, why did JAL need a bailout? Why did ANA manage a 2013 profit margin of barely more than 1%? And why are all the Japanese LCCs having such a rough go? Assuming you are right and Japanese domestic service is "quite profitable", then ex-Japan international flights must be an absolute money pit, which kind of makes your arguments for a TYO hub questionable.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Does Japan have the equivalent of Chapter 11? And are there investors or creditors willing to finance them?
Yes, the Corporate Rehabilitation Law, which JAL underwent.

From DL's perspective, it calls into question whether they are a partner you can rely on and whether they can build enough of a network and infrastructure to be useful.

Skymark's A380 order was cancelled because nobody believed they could actually pay for the planes. My understanding is that they aren't even sure they can manage to pay for the remaining A330s they have on order.
We'll have to see if they can stay in business. Right now, even Skymark is more likely to tie up with NH, but DL would be prudent not to look into turning them into a viable longterm partner.

If it is so profitable, why did JAL need a bailout? Why did ANA manage a 2013 profit margin of barely more than 1%? And why are all the Japanese LCCs having such a rough go? Assuming you are right and Japanese domestic service is "quite profitable", then ex-Japan international flights must be an absolute money pit, which kind of makes your arguments for a TYO hub questionable.
ANA's operating margin in FY2013 was 4.1%, and FY2013 was a record year for NH in terms of revenue.

Complete analysis about ANA here, including the title, which dispels your statement about international flights being a money pit:

All Nippon Airways expects stronger 2014 performance due to efficiency and more international flying

Here's another article that states that domestic is where NH will continue to perform:

All Nippon Airways to have more international than domestic capacity - but revenue still in Japan

Japan is a wonderfully resilient market, whether DL decides to stay or not.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by TerryK
Double post.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea...l#post23602970

Previous rumor.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea...ure-rumor.html

It was rumored to materialize in first half of 2014.
And despite its "imminent" remarks, still seems just a rumor. Probably time to closing this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
And despite its "imminent" remarks, still seems just a rumor. Probably time to closing this thread.
+1.^ I was, and still am, skeptical when this rumor started early in 2014. I don't see it happening in the near future. If anything, DL is moving away from KE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.