Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, OZ
Delta recently updated partner earning page in Delta.com.
Interestingly, airlines are sorted in a group order, and KE is located among group 1 partner airlines.
I guess Delta will promote KE to a group 1 partner after JV approval.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hanjae
Interestingly, airlines are sorted in a group order, and KE is located among group 1 partner airlines.

nice
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nevermind.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 18, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does look hopeful. It is still old earning chart but located in Group 1 slot. Let's wait for a few more days.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
What are you talking about? There is no marked group numbering. KE does appear near the top but the earning is same as last year... NO MQD AND MQM!

BTW, I hate the new website, the old one was clear as it can be. I think they did it on purpose to confuse us and blur the tiers.
frankflieslots likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
What are you talking about? There is no marked group numbering. KE does appear near the top but the earning is same as last year... NO MQD AND MQM!

BTW, I hate the new website, the old one was clear as it can be. I think they did it on purpose to confuse us and blur the tiers.
Yes, DL has clearly removed the concept of Groups. However, the airlines are still listed in almost the same order that they used to be: all the formerly group 1 are at the top, then all the formerly group 2, etc. The one notable exception is that Korean Air (formerly group 4, should be at the very bottom) is now listed near the top, with the formerly group 1 airlines.

Yes, we all understand that the KE earnings chart hasn't changed yet, no MQM. But is the new location in the list a sign that a change is imminent? Maybe. That's the point OP was making.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:09 am

Help me with this part of the JV here.

Delta knows that people on long journeys much prefer a 1-stop or non-stop over a 2-stop. If they have just a TPAC hub in SEA, then clearly the focus is having a bunch of USA > SEA > ASIA-Spoke 1-stop itineraries to maximize bookings and revenue (assume USA-Spoke > Asia-Spoke non-stops are not economical for the business)

If they have a TPAC hub in SEA and a TPAC hub in ICN, does that mean now that they will have a bunch of HUB -> TPAC Spoke flights from both sides of the Pacific? If they setup the network for 2-stops ( USA-Spoke > SEA > ICN > Asia-Spoke) sucks for travelers, commands the lowest $, and requires flying people more miles than any other routing style. For example, will we now have
SEA - HKG
SEA - PEK
SEA - TYO
SEA - PVG
SEA - BKK
SEA - NGO
SEA - TPE
SEA - etc...

AND

ICN - SFO
ICN - SEA
ICN - PDX
ICN - LAS
ICN - HOU
ICN - SLC
ICN - PHX
ICN - DEN
ICN - etc...

What do you think?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo

Delta knows that people on long journeys much prefer a 1-stop or non-stop over a 2-stop. If they have just a TPAC hub in SEA, then clearly the focus is having a bunch of USA > SEA > ASIA-Spoke 1-stop itineraries to maximize bookings and revenue (assume USA-Spoke > Asia-Spoke non-stops are not economical for the business)

If they have a TPAC hub in SEA and a TPAC hub in ICN, does that mean now that they will have a bunch of HUB -> TPAC Spoke flights from both sides of the Pacific? If they setup the network for 2-stops ( USA-Spoke > SEA > ICN > Asia-Spoke) sucks for travelers, commands the lowest $, and requires flying people more miles than any other routing style. For example, will we now have
SEA - HKG
SEA - PEK
SEA - TYO
SEA - PVG
SEA - BKK
SEA - NGO
SEA - TPE
SEA - etc...

AND

ICN - SFO
ICN - SEA
ICN - PDX
ICN - LAS
ICN - HOU
ICN - SLC
ICN - PHX
ICN - DEN
ICN - etc...

What do you think?
I really don't see what the confusion is. It'll be just like trans-Atlantic. SEA will offer non-stops to the major Asian cities (like ATL/JFK offers nonstops to the major European cities). Alternatively, you can connect in ICN to reach any Asian city (just like you connect in CDG/AMS to reach any European city).

DL will probably allow you to double connect thru both SEA and ICN if you really want to (just like they usually allow you to double connect in ATL and CDG), but it won't be necessary for most people
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I really don't see what the confusion is. It'll be just like trans-Atlantic. SEA will offer non-stops to the major Asian cities (like ATL/JFK offers nonstops to the major European cities). Alternatively, you can connect in ICN to reach any Asian city (just like you connect in CDG/AMS to reach any European city).

DL will probably allow you to double connect thru both SEA and ICN if you really want to (just like they usually allow you to double connect in ATL and CDG), but it won't be necessary for most people
Yep, back in the hey day of the NRT hub, double-connect's were pretty much the norm if you were not located in a gateway city. If you were in DEN, you'd fly DEN-MSP-NRT-XXX. If you were in PHX or LAS, you could do LAS-LAX-NRT-XXX or PHX-LAX-NRT-XXX. Prior to the DL hub in LAX, NW used to codeshare on AA Eagle flights out of LAX which would connect western/CA cities to the LAX-NRT flight.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Amazing news. Being Japan-based, having KE back in the fold will give me more options for getting around Asia and onto Europe on someone other than AF (their HND-CDG flight is always expensive).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo

SEA - HKG
SEA - PEK
SEA - TYO
SEA - PVG
SEA - BKK
SEA - NGO
SEA - TPE
SEA - etc...

AND

ICN - SFO
ICN - SEA
ICN - PDX
ICN - LAS
ICN - HOU
ICN - SLC
ICN - PHX
ICN - DEN
ICN - etc...

What do you think?
You can't serve every market in Asia with only North American hubs, just like KE can't serve every market in North America with only ICN. That's a fundamental reason for joint ventures.

I would expect every or nearly every DL hub in the US and several other major cities (such as the ones you mention) to have nonstop service to ICN. I would also expect the SEA flights to remain. So for major US cities and DL hubs to major Asian cities, there will be, at worst, one-stop options via both SEA and ICN. What the joint venture enables is one-stop options from smaller US cities to major Asian cities (via SEA or another US hub) as well as one-stop options from major US cities to small Asian cities (via ICN). And flights between more or less any small US city and any small Asian city will have two-stop service (via US hubs and ICN); without the joint venture, DL couldn't serve markets like that at all (since NRT even in its heyday certainly didn't serve small Asian cities and nonstop service from SEA to smaller Asian cities isn't viable).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Korean Air-Delta joint venture to get ?conditional approval?

Korean Air-Delta Joint Venture receives conditional approval and set to launch by the end of the first half of this year.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wonder if this means KE will finally be restored to 'tier 1' earning so we can get MQD and MQM credit on KE marketed flights.

As another effect, I hope this also will allow GUC use on KE metal.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Finally,
Hope KE becomes Tier 1, will be much easier to do Asia
China eastern and Southern were just not cutting it for me
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
The Delta-Korean JV has now been approved by both the US and Korean governments and will be launched in 2018

https://news.delta.com/delta-and-kor...re-partnership

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.