FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What's the dumbest thing YOU ever did? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1615912-whats-dumbest-thing-you-ever-did.html)

KKinLA Sep 26, 2014 10:53 am

What's the dumbest thing YOU ever did?

Yesterday was supposed to be my first flight since attaining million miler status LAX-PVR-LAX. I get to the airport and TSA can't scan my boarding pass. Come to discover I had actually booked it PVR-LAX-PVR. What a rookie mistake. I felt really stupid and ended up having to cancel the trip :mad:

Anyone else make any dumb mistakes while flying DL?

MrAAUGA Sep 26, 2014 11:12 am

I once took their partner, China Airlines, instead of DL metal... worst mistake ever...

lbcnu Sep 26, 2014 11:19 am

Yes. Some years ago I thought I was flying JFK-BCN through MAD. Was very surprised to find out that my flight was JFK-MAD only. Apparently when I booked the ticket I told the agent "through MAD" and the agent booked me "to MAD." I never realized it until we landed in MAD and I had no BP for BCN!

DLFan2 Sep 26, 2014 11:54 am

My wife and I once showed up at the airport a day early.

Interestingly, it also was for a trip to PVR. At least it wasn't a day late!

BusTrav8yrs Sep 26, 2014 12:01 pm

I once accidently book a trip with the return a day earlier and didn't notice until I tried to check in on the return and it showed my flight had already departed.

javabytes Sep 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Booked a connection in ATL

merlin3008 Sep 26, 2014 12:08 pm

I live in Connecticut and I booked a meeting and flight to LA. Well I forgot to account for the time difference when scheduling the meeting so I was a little surprised when the meeting reminder popped up on my phone just after landing. My client was very understanding and I did the meeting via Skype in the SC. There were no available flights back that day so I wound up having a free day in LA. I found a hotel near Venice and hit the beach.

sjclynn Sep 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by merlin3008 (Post 23586200)
I live in Connecticut and I booked a meeting and flight to LA. Well I forgot to account for the time difference when scheduling the meeting so I was a little surprised when the meeting reminder popped up on my phone just after landing. My client was very understanding and I did the meeting via Skype in the SC. There were no available flights back that day so I wound up having a free day in LA. I found a hotel near Venice and hit the beach.

Other than having to suck it up with the client, based on the outcome, this actually sounds rather brilliant.

TheFerret Sep 26, 2014 12:53 pm

My friend was booked on the CPT-AMS flight on KLM which departs at 00:30 or so, so he booked the flight for lets say Feb 5 (I don't know the exact date) and went to the airport after packing on the fifth to catch his flight. He found out that he missed his flight since now it was the sixth at 00:30, the next day. So he missed his flight by 24 hours, I believe KLM rebooked him on the next flight out.

The dumbest thing I have done is I booked a flight from YYZ-AUH departing at 21:45. Without realizing it, I thought the flight departed at 11:45PM. I got asked by my friend who was driving me to the airport at around 6:30 what time my flight was leaving at and he's like your flight is a 9:45PM, not 11:45. Suffice to say, I had to rush to finish getting ready and had a mad scramble to the airport (30min drive) and no dinner.

Moral of both stories, always double and triple check your flight times and dates.

exwannabe Sep 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Pre-FF days I had a vacation booked to Vegas.

One week before I was set to go, the company sends me on a trip to the west coast (forget where). I was about to spend a half day flying LAX-ATL ATL-LAX for no reason. So I called DL and asked if they could merge the to ITNs and save everybody the effort of me flying cross country for no reason.

DL actually agreed to do so, and thereby I was out 4000 miles.

MrAndy1369 Sep 26, 2014 1:01 pm

I was once overnighted in JFK due to IRROPs and had flexibility to change my flight the next day, with the DL IRROPs tool. As I was in paid F/J (LAX-JFK-DCA), I had options the next day in F. There was a widebody (777, IIRC) from JFK to ATL the next day, appearing in the IRROPs rebooking tool. I should've done that, then ATL-DCA, to experience an actual widebody in J. Instead, I took the direct JFK-DCA in a RJ.

This was in 2011.

Lost Sep 26, 2014 1:04 pm

When in northern California, I'll switch between flying out of SMF, OAK, and SFO based on schedule and price. I've only gone to the wrong airport a couple of times..... :rolleyes:

pbiflyer Sep 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I am sure I posted this before.
When electronic tickets first came out, I had a PBI-ATL-OKC trip. My printed itinerary listed PBI-ATL 0 stops, ATL-OKC 0 stops. My PBI-ATL flight was late arriving, so basically had just enough time to run to the next flight right before they closed the door. Thanks to an upgrade (one of my first) I was seated in 1B.
As we landed, I was not at all paying attention to the announcements. We landed, I was the first one off the plane. Went to the rental car agent, who could not find my reservation. Finally she exclaimed "Oh, I see the problem, they booked you at OKC." And my reply of "Yeah, and where are we?" was met with a resounding "Tulsa."
There was an intermediary stop that I did not know about and did not pay attention to in the announcements. Of course the plane had since left.
Luckily, the TUL airport is on the southwest side and my hotel was on the northeast side of OKC, so it wasn't a bad drive.

sethb Sep 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Many years ago, back when tickets were hand-written by travel agents, I told the agent I wanted to return LAX-JFK as late on Sunday night as possible. He asked about 1 AM, and I allowed as to how that was pretty late.

I didn't find out until I arrived at LAX around 11:30 Sunday night that he'd actually booked me for 1 AM Sunday morning.

Throw Down Your Leavy Screens Sep 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I tripled-down on dumb on the same trip in 2003 or so:

1. Booked a roundtrip ticket RDU-BOS for a funeral in June. Unfortunately, I forgot to notice until AFTER I had purchased the ticket that I had accidentally booked the return trip for January instead of June (understandable error, misreading "Jan" as "Jun"). This was in the days before the 24-hour free cancellation, so I called up DL and a sympathetic agent fixed everything for nothing more that the differential in fare.

2. I live in Charlotte but booked the flight out of Raleigh. It's 2:30 to drive from CLT to RDU. I allowed only 2 hours. Oh, did I mention I hit traffic on I-85 in China Grove?

3. Then I parked in one of the RDU lots that is in Cary instead of the deck in front of the terminal. The bus took forever to get me to the terminal. Then I had to check in, then go through security...

All in all, I made it to the gate a couple of minutes or so after the GA had closed the door. The gate agent that day had pity on me and let me board anyway.

So a double (retroactive) thank you to Delta for being forgiving.