Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the dumbest thing YOU ever did?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: SU Blue, DL FO, UA Blue, BA Silver
Seeing as I'm not that seasoned of a traveler I will admit of being guilty of being one of those gate lice when I flew with UA a few times at IAH, DCA, MCO, or BOS. But after seeing how many of you here hate the gate lice I decided to just wait since I don't want to be an annoyance.

Note to self: Just be patient because I'm not the most important person. Thank god I never pulled a DYKWIA, but I've experienced it a few times.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tenzaromon
Seeing as I'm not that seasoned of a traveler I will admit of being guilty of being one of those gate lice when I flew with UA a few times at IAH, DCA, MCO, or BOS. But after seeing how many of you here hate the gate lice I decided to just wait since I don't want to be an annoyance.

Note to self: Just be patient because I'm not the most important person. Thank god I never pulled a DYKWIA, but I've experienced it a few times.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Being a gate louse is dumb. I regularly post public pics on FB of gate lice.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:02 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
was so used to flying 757s into MCO from ATL that, during spring break this year when Delta started using 767s for the spring break crowd, I tried turning left after boarding and found myself being asked by a FA if I needed help.

I was facing the open cockpit and probably piqued her interest a bit before I realized my mistake!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I was flying to SYD "with" two co-workers. I flew on a different flight from DTW-LAX than the other two due to price since we had booked our flights at different times. When I landed they were worried I was going to miss the connection and had texted me the gate so in my moment of stupidity I ran off the plane, leaving the terminal and headed for their gate. When I arrived at their gate my boarding pass wouldn't work.

That's when I realized I was flying Delta and they were flying another carrier. So I now had to run back to my original terminal to barely make my flight to SYD full of sweat. At least I got my workout in before the flight
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
One time after a particularly long week and as a 'lowly' PM at the time, I missed the UG from FLL-MSP. I really wanted a little extra space and lunch that day.

I took my place in the exit which was better than nothing I guess. A man walks up and while holding his boarding pass asked if I would change seats. I CERTAINLY was not wanting to give up my exit. He let me go on long enough so I would have to fully insert my foot in my mouth when he said, "My seat is in first. I'd like to sit with my family. Can you handle that?"

Uh. Sure.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:38 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
ummm do I get a prize for actually doing all of these, no really all of them plus a few other gems.

1. first time working in tokyo I took a taxi from NRT to the city, I was a broke kid and after my first long flight thought the 23k yen was 23.00 dollars, thought it was a pretty good deal. Had to ask the driver to stop at a ATM while I emptied my account.

2. booked the same flight twice. Booked the ticket totally forgot and book the exact same itinerary again

3. missed numerous flights while sleeping on the floor at the gate

4. boarded wrong plane went to my seat to find someone in it, got the FA who pointed out I was on a LAX flight not a LAS flight. I was supposed to be on the LAX flight but had booked LAS by mistake, and then successfully got on the wrong plane (no idea how)

5. Left my bags on the plane a few times.....

ya I am a all star! In my defense I have a job where I am up for days at a time mostly in very remote 3rd world places in very violent and stressful situations so when I get to the airport I normally pass out from exhaustion. Most times I get home I have no idea what day it is let alone what time it is.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jbalis

ya I am a all star! In my defense I have a job where I am up for days at a time mostly in very remote 3rd world places in very violent and stressful situations so when I get to the airport I normally pass out from exhaustion. Most times I get home I have no idea what day it is let alone what time it is.
Uhmmm, people doing those jobs are getting beheaded these days. Stay safe!!!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:48 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Originally Posted by yohanson
Uhmmm, people doing those jobs are getting beheaded these days. Stay safe!!!

thank you, I try my best, I like my head right where it is.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Not me, but a friend parked at LAX. Came back.... car was gone. Filed a police report. Collected the insurance money. Bought a new car.

Two days later gets a call from LAX Parking Authority. "Sir your car has been parked here for over 1 month."
So how did this one pan out? What happens in a situation like this?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I do a lot of dumb things. Here is a trip report I wrote that details some of them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...res-delta.html
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
So how did this one pan out? What happens in a situation like this?
Legally the car would now belong to the insurance company. Once a claim is paid the property becomes that of the insurance company. Insurance company might even raise the rates of the person. However absent proof that the insured knew it was there, nothing criminal will happen. What shocks me is that the airport police never bothered to check the lot when report was filed.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:04 pm

Once almost booked a flight to PTY instead of ECP. The tip off was it should not be a six hour flight from ATL to ECP...the worst part was the flight to ECP was more expensive!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Hoped to snag an upgrade LAX-JFK as a PM
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I seem to make a habit of booking a flight on the day that daylight savings time ends (I did again this year) and just last year, I hopped into ,my car going to Target or something and I freaked out thinking that I needed to rush to the airport for my flight. Upon entering the house, I was told that I needed to change my car's clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.