Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the dumbest thing YOU ever did?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:22 am

I once mistakenly booked MCI-LGA instead of MCO-LGA. Fortunately I caught the mistake before flying but I did have to pay the change fee. I also once came close to booking DAY-ATL-MAD instead of DAB-ATL-MAD, but I caught the error before booking since I wondered why the schedule had suddenly changed.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I sometimes get my B's and C's mixed up when sitting in FC. Usually on the MD88 /90 where I always pit the rollaboard on the three seat side, rather than just above me. In the rush, I forget and have found myself across the aisle from my actual seat...

Oh and then there are those AA planes where the first row if FC is actually row 3.. I was pulled from Y for an ug to 3A, but it was occupied (do i thought) . I was a bit embarrassed after realizing my error.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM
I went to Narita instead of Haneda, forgetting they started servicing LAX when I lived there.

$300 cab ride and 24 hours in a crappy business hotel near the airport. At least I got one more night of ramen, gyoza, & beer.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Not me, but a friend parked at LAX. Came back.... car was gone. Filed a police report. Collected the insurance money. Bought a new car.

Two days later gets a call from LAX Parking Authority. "Sir your car has been parked here for over 1 month."
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the days of PMNW paper tickets, I confused the flight number with the departure time, something like 1145 versus 1014. After returning my rental car at IND, I couldn't understand why my flight wasn't listed on the monitors as I was entering the airport. Of course, it has just departed, ontime.
And that was in the crappy old IND airport with the rainbow carpeting too...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsbh
I thought it would be easier to fly into LGA vs PHL to drive to Allentown. And then (same trip) I thought the Hertz "EVER"Lost navigation would route me back to LGA in he best way possible.

Sooooo very wrong on both accounts.
Were you waiting there in Allentown?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Esltroy
We only have one set of car keys. We bought a used car and that's all it came with. Mr. esltroy was in the hot tub so I decided to just take a taxi to the airport. I was going to be gone for a week for work. While passing through tsa I took the one set of car keys out of my pocket and realize that Mr. Esltroy would be keyless for a week unless I did some fast thinking. I knew he was in the hot tub without phone, so I called a friend who lives near the airport who quickly came and picked up the keys. Mr. Esltroy was surprised to see our friend walk into the back yard with out keys, and relieved.
This sounds like the plot of a Skinemax "movie."
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kettle1
What's the dumbest thing YOU ever did?

Get married.
Kidding. Going on 20+ years. Pure bliss, as I am always on a plane or in an airport!

Back in the 80's flying from ATL to PDX, ended up in PWM. Damn it was cold. It was a phone reservation and I never paid attention, just said Portland on the phone and Portland was on my BP and on the sign at the gate when boarding the flt. Who would have thunk there is more than one Portland.
It probably wasn't much warmer in PDX.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Years ago, sitting in the bar at BTR waiting for my flight, I scanned my BP and read it as 1:50CT; or 1:50 Central Time. Turned out that my flight departed at noon on 15OCT or 15 October. They rebooked me with no problems, but I felt pretty stupid.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
And that was in the crappy old IND airport with the rainbow carpeting too...
Indeed it was. I was put onto the next flight, but I spent more time than I wanted at IND that day. Of course there was no lounge.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Booked a flight (work) for AM instead of PM. Fortunately I noticed within hours, and was able to rebook it. (NW wanted $0.01 for the change. Seriously.)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Birmingham: BHX or BHM

Caught that one during the booking process when the agent was telling me she was routing me through ATL (planning to do AMS-BHX-AMS-WAW-AMS)
That wouldn't help me; I connected through ATL to BHX earlier this year.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Indeed it was. I was put onto the next flight, but I spent more time than I wanted at IND that day. Of course there was no lounge.
I was going to correct you on that then remembered - yes IND was a NWA focus city but only after the new airport was built did it get a nice Skyclub.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

Wrong airport, wrong gate, wrong seat - all for the same flight. Fully sober.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Not something I did but something I observed. Was flying DTW-PHL on NW probably in about 78 or 79. This was when NW occupied old Concourse A. There were a number of flights leaving for the east coast around the same time, and when the FA began the preflight announcement with "We'd like to welcome you on board Northwest flight number xxx to Philadelphia" there was some murmuring in the back of the plane. Then the pilot came on and said there were a couple of people who wanted to go to Washington DC (the next gate over from the PHL flight), so we were going to return to the gate. When we docked a couple of little old ladies came forward accompanied by much jeering from a plane full of business travelers who just wanted to get home on a Friday evening not long before Christmas. One of them said, "It's not our fault", to which the reply was "Oh yeah? Then whose fault is it?" One of the passengers said, "Take em to Philly and put them on an Allegheny Commuter and they'll get to National."

It delayed us by about half an hour, but we did get to PHL that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.