Another WWYD LAX to CDG/LHR

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Another WWYD LAX to CDG/LHR

Oh great mileage users.

Which is a better deal, WWYD (What Would You Do)?

We are planning a family trip to Europe next year for two weeks.

Outbound can be either LAX-LHR for 3 in Business at 125Kmiles and fourth in Business for 200K miles so total 575K miles and $22USD in fees. DL Can't get all four in low

Alternatively, I can do LAX CDG LHR all four tix in BUS for 500K miles but $125 USD but on AF.

I have about 650K miles, so the difference is direct vs. one stop and Delta vs AF?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Have you looked at other routes?
MSP-CDG-LHR?
Staying with Delta in BE is probably the best option & experience.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at the AF aircraft. I'd avoid a 2-3-2 configuration, but the A380 should be good.

Also, how old are the kids and who would be the one in coach?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Also, how old are the kids and who would be the one in coach?
All the tickets would be in business per the OP.

OP, when next year are you going as Delta may cancel the LAX-LHR nonstop next year if loads are low.

Did you look for availability via one of the other hubs?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

OP, when next year are you going as Delta may cancel the LAX-LHR nonstop next year if loads are low.

You're right. I had remembered the OP as saying that the fourth on the LHR routing would be in coach.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Thanks for the quick responses. I am leaving from SAN either driving to LAX the night before or flying up earlier in the day. I am able to snag EC from SAN to LAX.

I am going in late August and with other hubs only 2 tix are available in BUS plus we would have to get there from SAN. I looked and 4 tickets were not available in domestic first to get to either ATL or MSP.

Kids will be 12 and 10 at time of travel, as mentioned all four tickets are in BUS.

We will be doing K-A in one row and K-A in second row so kids have to crawl over us to get into the aisle.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

I'm doubting it will be canceled. This was part of the JV requirements with VS. DL is simply taking over one of the current LAX-LHR routes that VS operates. There's nothing really "new" about it, just different metal flying the route.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
If it were me I would pick the cheapest mileage tickets available, especially if there is a connection, as there might be a schedule change that would make the routing invalid and allow you to be rebooked to the non-stop.

Since you are booking so far out there may be a good chance for schedule changes (though I don't know how frequent AF changes schedule, especially for the long-haul).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Which is cheapest? 575K pesos + $22, or 500K pesos + $125? (That is, 75K pesos vs. $103.)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I guess if we are looking at purely costs. Then obviously 500K is the way to go. However, other factors include direct vs. one stop and pure lie flat vs. AF's almost bed.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:34 am

My 2 cents -

Does the one-stop get you in at a reasonable time? Is it landing at noon instead of at 1030? If so then book the one-stop and keep the 75k miles. Thats a one-way to Europe or South America in J.

If it gets in at a late hour to where its going to be a really long day and a midnight arrival at your hotel then book the non-stop.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Yes, AF's J seat is not full lie-flat (not yet, at least), but if you can get on the A380 LAX-CDG, that is a terrific TATL experience.

The A380 is a terrific ride, very quiet. In my experience, the AF soft product is outstanding. And while the seat is not full lie-flat it is, in my opinion, very comfortable and (importantly for me), wider than DL's J seat.

Then again, as others have pointed out, if you take AF, you will need to connect at CDG (vs taking a non-stop). Not only is CDG not an especially good airport in which to make connections (although it will be much better if you're connecting AF to AF), but even if your connection is as smoth as silk you're still adding a lot of time to your journey,

I would spend the additional miles and take the non-stop on DL.

You didn't mention what you're doing on the return. Is that also a non-stop on DL?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If going to LHR, I'd fly direct on DL metal unless having a better wine/food offering is more important. I like DL's lie flat seat and direct-aisle access.

VS Upper Class may be another option to examine.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by kaaria
Outbound can be either LAX-LHR for 3 in Business at 125Kmiles and fourth in Business for 200K miles so total 575K miles and $22USD in fees. DL Can't get all four in low
I would do this. The fourth ticket will need to be on a separate PNR since you can't mix different "prices" on the same PNR, but as long as it comes from your account and your are PM you can redeposit/rebook at no cost if a fourth low seat becomes available.

I like the AF A380, but the DL seat will be nicer and less chance of another strike ruining your plans :P
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
If going to LHR, I'd fly direct on DL metal unless having a better wine/food offering is more important. I like DL's lie flat seat and direct-aisle access.

VS Upper Class may be another option to examine.
The direct aisle access is not that big of an issue as the kids will get the inside seats and they would rarely wake up in the middle of the night.

I looked at Vs. Delta shows vs24 available for 4 in low miles. However when I go to click says flight is sold out. Called the Plat line and they can't see it in their inventory.

Originally Posted by injera
My 2 cents -

Does the one-stop get you in at a reasonable time? Is it landing at noon instead of at 1030? If so then book the one-stop and keep the 75k miles. Thats a one-way to Europe or South America in J.

If it gets in at a late hour to where its going to be a really long day and a midnight arrival at your hotel then book the non-stop.
The flights arrive more or less at the same time as the AF flight leaves lax at around 4pm while the direct delta leaves at 8pm.

I changed my booking to: San to lax in EC then LAX TO CDG TO LHR in bus.

The return is not in 330 day window. I am open to taking train for save on the various fees and taxes.

Currently I am looking at departing from CDG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.