Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earliest I can check bags before a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

What is the earliest I can check bags for a flight? I'm staying at the Hilton at Boston Logan tomorrow night with the Family. I would prefer to check all of the bags including 3 car seats tomorrow night so I don't have to deal with it in the morning before the flight. Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamiaub
What is the earliest I can check bags for a flight? I'm staying at the Hilton at Boston Logan tomorrow night with the Family. I would prefer to check all of the bags including 3 car seats tomorrow night so I don't have to deal with it in the morning before the flight. Thanks
Generally no more then 4-6 hours before flight. So no night before, unless there's a paid service operating in BOS. They would pick up your bags and check them in the following morning. However I'm not aware of one.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure about BOS, but some major convention hotels in certain USA cities (IIRC I've seen this in Chicago) have a bag drop and check in desk in the hotel lobby. The bags must be checked early and there's a fee, even if they just print your boarding pass and you don't check bags with them. I've never been interested--it's mostly useful for those who can't get late check outs--so I don't know how expensive this service is.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
According to a TA at MSP, you can now check bags up to 12 hours before a flight; she indicated that this is a recent change. However, it must be on the same day as the flight, so the overnight bag drop would not work.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I tried to check in a big bag at JFK - connecting flight, actually, from LHR - JFK - SFO, at about 10pm before the connection.

They refused to assist, insisting I lug the big bag with me to the Airport hotel, then back. (This is the bag that I checked, not a carry on). I had no use for it that night, and it was heavy, thus a big inconvenience.

The staff there were incredibly rude and inflexible. I had a bit of a hissy fit, and after speaking with a supervisor, they begrudgingly accepted it.

I could sort of understand if this were the origin of the flight, but it was not. They were just being jerks.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Delta.com says 6 hours out, though it's not entirely clear if that applies to inside the airport or not:

Within 24 hours of your departure, you can tell us how many bags you will check and pay any fees quickly and easily online. That means one less thing you will have to do at the airport. When you arrive at the airport, you can drop off your checked baggage at the nearest baggage drop, marked with red "Baggage Drop" signage, or curbside check-in station (available within 6 hours of departure time). You may also check your bags at the airport kiosk, ticket counter, or curbside.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...aggage_Ongoing

David
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Even if they let you check bags very early, it's not always a good idea. They likely will not have a baggage cart set up for your flight yet, so when your bags clear security screening they will get aside somewhere to wait. Then perhaps other bags will get set aside in front of yours. Then there will be a shift change. I don't have any stats on this, but I suspect that very-early checked bags have a significantly higher delay rate than other bags.
mrshoes and Milesaway76 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Thank you. All great advice and knowledge. I guess I will tough it out.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)

Haven't ever tried, but I've been told that the skycaps are willing to take bags earlier than airline policy...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
Haven't ever tried, but I've been told that the skycaps are willing to take bags earlier than airline policy...
Yes, but I've never known them to take them the night/day before your flight. I'm not sure they'll even be able to tag them at that point.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I will be flying EWR-RDU-ATL-LAS on DL next week.

However, will be flying ATL-EWR for a meeting earlier that morning. Not only DL.

I need checked baggage for the return flights, but not in Newark.

Thoughts on whether - if I showed up in ATL about 12 hours before departure of ATL-LAS (so same day, just arrive in the morning for an evening departure) would they accept a checked bag for ATL-LAS? Save me the lugging and save them from putting it on a few extra flights.

I know ATL should be setup for it given its a hub, but I'm uncertain how they'd handle it given its before I've taken the first flight, and is at a connecting point.

As a backup, I'll leave it at the ATL airport hotel and pick it up/check it in when back in ATL in the evening. Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rrz518
I tried to check in a big bag at JFK - connecting flight, actually, from LHR - JFK - SFO, at about 10pm before the connection.

They refused to assist, insisting I lug the big bag with me to the Airport hotel, then back. (This is the bag that I checked, not a carry on). I had no use for it that night, and it was heavy, thus a big inconvenience.

The staff there were incredibly rude and inflexible. I had a bit of a hissy fit, and after speaking with a supervisor, they begrudgingly accepted it.

I could sort of understand if this were the origin of the flight, but it was not. They were just being jerks.
So because of your DM status, you expected/thought that DL would bend/change their rules just for you and you showed no class by having your little hissy fit? No wonder some DMs have the worst reputation within the airline. Rules are rules, but of course there are always a few that want to try and get their own way because of their status and want to pressure agents to make exceptions. What a shame that those agents had to endure your pathetic performance.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by audidudi
So because of your DM status, you expected/thought that DL would bend/change their rules just for you and you showed no class by having your little hissy fit? No wonder some DMs have the worst reputation within the airline. Rules are rules, but of course there are always a few that want to try and get their own way because of their status and want to pressure agents to make exceptions. What a shame that those agents had to endure your pathetic performance.
That is a 4 year old post you are chastising.

Bumping my most recent post on the topic for advice folks have about my question about ATL - thank you.
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
The post to which you’re responding is 4 years old!
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

The post to which you’re responding is 4 years old!
The post is stale, but I also don't think there was anything wrong with asking for a supervisor to check the bag in that situation. If the individual was flying LHR-JFK-SFO, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about giving the bag back to Delta once you clear customs at JFK. After all, the bag was presumably checked through to SFO on one itinerary and already had a tag. If they were flying just JFK-SFO and simply showed up at JFK to check the bag the night before, then of course that's not within the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.