Delta Lost My Bag

Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum Member, Hilton Diamond Member
Delta Lost My Bag

I traveled from DTW to AMS on 9/6-9/7. When I arrived my bag was no where to be found. I filled out a delayed bag report. Have called the airport every day since then. My bag on Deltas tracking website shows that it was last scanned in at customs in AMS. AMS was trying to contact DTW to find the bag, but obviously it made it to AMS.

I went to AMS today and they cannot find the bag anywhere in the airport. They think the tag got pulled off the bag at some point. I have my name and # on the outside of the bag- but if the tag was pulled off it wouldn't have been scanned- which makes no sense.

I had a couple thousand dollars in clothes in my bag since i am traveling for 2 weeks and it's brand new luggage. I filled out a claim on Delta's website on Friday since it was 5 days. Didn't receive an email or anything noting the claim- so I hope it went through. I plan to follow up tomorrow with Delta. I am just looking to get compensated for replacement of my clothes and bag + what I had to spend on the cheap but expensive clothes I had to buy in Amsterdam. I have a silver membership and a delta rewards card member if that matters. Any advice? Or tips for a situation like this? If Delta is difficult I am thinking about small claims court.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I have never had my luggage lost so I can't give you any tips, but the information on the Delta website concerning lost luggage seems concise and straight forward.

Good luck in getting it back or getting it reimbursed. Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Delta Lost My Bag

I was on an itinerary with a 55 minute conx in ams from Boston headed to Brussels, where my final destination was 1 hour east by train back in the Netherlands. I arrived at 10am on Thursday. My bags did not make the conx. They arrived in Brussels on Thursday night but were not found/sorted until Saturday afternoon. I was called on Sunday night to arrange delivery of bags on Monday night. I was overseas for a long weekend, and headed back to a Brussels hotel Monday night. My bags were received by the hotel on Monday night, no harm no foul.

I purchased about 60€ worth of items, clothes, toothbrush, etc. I filled out the lost bag info on klm's site, and provided receipts. Delta called two weeks later saying they were sending a check. I was paid in full for my purchases, but was also pretty reasonable in my expenses. It was a family visit, not for work.

I think it takes a really long time to find misdirected luggage but there's still hope for you, OP.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:44 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would give them time; they usually pull through

Delta usually pulls through with lost luggage, or will reimburse you for x amount per day based on my experiences:

1)Snowboard never made it and I was on a road trip (everyday was a different city or state in the Western US). They were able to get it to a remote Colorado airport where I was going to pass through. Hence, they will coordinate with you.

2)Luggage never made it before a cruise, and finally got it 3 days during the cruise. Save your receipts, as Delta may reimburse you for necessary items per day. I had to purchase formal wear, socks...everything....and they reimbursed full amount for my wife and I.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:59 am
Original Poster

My bag was scanned once it arrived in AMS. So the bag made it to the destination. My only thought is that someone else took it and walked through customs with my bag. The only thing I had in my bag were clothes.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Your baggage is regarded as delayed for a certain time (45 days for DAL?? and KLM??, 17-21 for AF??) Someone at DAL will be able to tell you this.
If your bag is gone more than xx days, you are also entitled for compensation for the clothes etc that's missing in addition to the necessities you needed to buy with a certain maximum. Damage or loss value must be proven.

Airline often ask for the original receipts, always keep all invoices & receipts.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SteelersWVU09
I traveled from DTW to AMS on 9/6-9/7. When I arrived my bag was no where to be found. I filled out a delayed bag report. Have called the airport every day since then. My bag on Deltas tracking website shows that it was last scanned in at customs in AMS. AMS was trying to contact DTW to find the bag, but obviously it made it to AMS.

I went to AMS today and they cannot find the bag anywhere in the airport. They think the tag got pulled off the bag at some point. I have my name and # on the outside of the bag- but if the tag was pulled off it wouldn't have been scanned- which makes no sense.

I had a couple thousand dollars in clothes in my bag since i am traveling for 2 weeks and it's brand new luggage. I filled out a claim on Delta's website on Friday since it was 5 days. Didn't receive an email or anything noting the claim- so I hope it went through. I plan to follow up tomorrow with Delta. I am just looking to get compensated for replacement of my clothes and bag + what I had to spend on the cheap but expensive clothes I had to buy in Amsterdam. I have a silver membership and a delta rewards card member if that matters. Any advice? Or tips for a situation like this? If Delta is difficult I am thinking about small claims court.
I hope you find your baggage, but never put anything that valuable in your suitcase.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I hope you find your baggage, but never put anything that valuable in your suitcase.
Well, travelling for 2 weeks..there's only so much room in a carry-on.
Clothes...one set will easily surpass $400+ and most travellers will have to pack several sets. 2-3K worth of goods in a suitcase for pax travelling 2 weeks is probally not an exception.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Well, travelling for 2 weeks..there's only so much room in a carry-on.
Clothes...one set will easily surpass $400+ and most travellers will have to pack several sets. 2-3K worth of goods in a suitcase for pax travelling 2 weeks is probally not an exception.
I guess I just usually don't dress that nice . My average outfit runs maybe $100, and that's for nice Ann Taylor/Banana Republic work clothes.

I hope you find your bag.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:49 am

Well it doesn't help when once landed @AMS you see for instance ordinary Guess Jeans priced easily at EUR140-150 = $190-200+ versus something like $120-80 after touchdown @MSP (W00t for no sale tax at Minnesota). And that are just bloody jeans.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My bag was scanned once it arrived in AMS. So the bag made it to the destination. My only thought is that someone else took it and walked through customs with my bag. The only thing I had in my bag were clothes.
It's possible that someone has taken the suitcase, but I wouldn't expect this to happen at AMS or when customs is involved. After all, for all the person taking the luggage knows, it's filled with drugs or other seriously forbidden items. Small probability but potentially huge consequences, including if the person makes it through customs without having to open the bag. Wasn't there a bad movie about this situation some time ago?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's possible that someone has taken the suitcase, but I wouldn't expect this to happen at AMS or when customs is involved. After all, for all the person taking the luggage knows, it's filled with drugs or other seriously forbidden items. Small probability but potentially huge consequences, including if the person makes it through customs without having to open the bag. Wasn't there a bad movie about this situation some time ago?
I've now gone through customs twice(once going back to see if they had my bag) and no one has stopped me. But the KLM employees guranteed me that theft does not happen... not at their airport.. not in amsterdam.. which is why they are ruling that out :-)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Check the credit card you used as many cards offer you some sort of coverage for lost luggage and replacement of your clothes in cases like this. @:-)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Check the credit card you used as many cards offer you some sort of coverage for lost luggage and replacement of your clothes in cases like this. @:-)
I have american express corporate... I think they cover like $500 but not sure if they will cover if I file claim with Delta- I need to look into it.

I think american express will cover up to 500 unless your platinum which is 3k.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 15, 2014 at 11:59 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I have american express corporate... I think they cover like $500 but not sure if they will cover if I file claim with Delta- I need to look into it.

I think american express will cover up to 500 unless your platinum which is 3k.
Claiming reimbursement for the same expense twice is definitely not allowed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.