Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking AF/KLM intra-Europe flights on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I got an EMD voucher yesterday from DL after being bumped off an oversold flight onto a later flight.

I had an EMD voucher before and was able to go on delta.com and use the voucher to buy flights within Europe on AF/KLM. These days delta.com won't bring any intra-Europe options up.

I remember seeing a thread about this recently but I can't find it now. Did Delta change this booking option recently?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Schwann
I got an EMD voucher yesterday from DL after being bumped off an oversold flight onto a later flight.

I had an EMD voucher before and was able to go on delta.com and use the voucher to buy flights within Europe on AF/KLM. These days delta.com won't bring any intra-Europe options up.

I remember seeing a thread about this recently but I can't find it now. Did Delta change this booking option recently?
Delta.dumb hasn't been booking flights wholly within Europe for a bit. Even if the flights all have DL numbers the system won't show anything as being sold. There's multiple threads were this issue has been brought up. Considering it used to be possible not sure why it can't be done now. I know I used to use it a lot when I was in Europe and needed to book a trip within Europe. I did it to save the credit card fee that KLM/AF charges for using a credit card. Now that I have a cell plan that doesn't charge more when I'm in another country I simply call DL and have them book it for me.

As for you, I'd call up Delta and ask them to book it for you. Since it can't be done online they should do it without charging a booking fee.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Schwann

Call to book, they can do it all, and can also book some of the flights which aren't DL codeshared.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know if it's still possible to book intra-Europe flights on KLM with Delta by phone? I know the Delta website doesn't allow it, but I called several times and they told me I could only purchase through KLM. I prefer to book through Delta to use some eCredits, but it sounds like they can't even sell these flights anymore?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:18 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Does anyone know if it's still possible to book intra-Europe flights on KLM with Delta by phone? I know the Delta website doesn't allow it, but I called several times and they told me I could only purchase through KLM. I prefer to book through Delta to use some eCredits, but it sounds like they can't even sell these flights anymore?
All signs point to DL being able to do less and less with KL ticketing:
  • Before 2018, all KL-marketed tickets in North America were issued on 006/DL ticket stock, and Delta handled phone support requests in North America for KLM.
  • In 2018, KL-marketed flights went back to being issued on 074/KL ticket stock in North America, though Delta still handled phone support and ticketing for those flights. See this Delta Pro document for exact details.
  • In early 2020, AF and KL started handling phone support for their own tickets in North America, which seems to have limited the ability of DL to issue 074 tickets. See this thread.
Note that the thread mentions that the DL agents who used to do KL ticketing still exist when you ask for "KLM MSP". Whether or not they are allowed to take a DL eCredit and apply it towards a KL ticket is an open question, but the worst thing that happens is that you get told no.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes they can still sell them. In fact if using a DL voucher you need to go through DL. They need to contact their KLM suppprt desk.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Yes, you can. There are two ways to do it:

1. For "simple" bookings, call Delta in North America. Just tell the agent the city pairs, date, and cabin/fare class letter you want on a KLM flight, and they can reserve, price, and ticket it without involving the KLM desk. Understand Delta's system will default to KLM Economy Light fares for Eco-cabin pricing, and the typical DL front line agent in North America has no way to select the Standard or Flex fares.

2. If you're willing to pay for an international call, call Delta's European offices (I recommend the UK or Netherlands numbers), which are staffed by AFKL personnel who handle DL tickets/issues. They can also apply the value of a Delta eCredit towards a trip on KLM. Even better, as AFKL agents they can select Standard and Flex fares and generally customize the trip as you want. You will end up with a KLM 074 or AF 057 ticket when they handle your booking, if that's an issue for you.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Yes, you can. There are two ways to do it:

1. For "simple" bookings, call Delta in North America. Just tell the agent the city pairs, date, and cabin/fare class letter you want on a KLM flight, and they can reserve, price, and ticket it without involving the KLM desk. Understand Delta's system will default to KLM Economy Light fares for Eco-cabin pricing, and the typical DL front line agent in North America has no way to select the Standard or Flex fares.

2. If you're willing to pay for an international call, call Delta's European offices (I recommend the UK or Netherlands numbers), which are staffed by AFKL personnel who handle DL tickets/issues. They can also apply the value of a Delta eCredit towards a trip on KLM. Even better, as AFKL agents they can select Standard and Flex fares and generally customize the trip as you want. You will end up with a KLM 074 or AF 057 ticket when they handle your booking, if that's an issue for you.
This isn't correct as OP is wanting a solely intraEurope flight and is paying with a DL voucher. DL can only sell a KLM fare for this flight and using KL flight number. Thus an agent at support desk must get involved. Before start of year this wasn't the case. However with changes in handling reservation/ tickets for each other , it is now required.
VFR likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This isn't correct as OP is wanting a solely intraEurope flight and is paying with a DL voucher. DL can only sell a KLM fare for this flight and using KL flight number. Thus an agent at support desk must get involved. Before start of year this wasn't the case. However with changes in handling reservation/ tickets for each other , it is now required.
Thanks flyerCO, I'm going to call back tomorrow armed with this info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.