FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL softening SDC policy, or was I just lucky? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1611932-dl-softening-sdc-policy-i-just-lucky.html)

Profchemnerd Sep 11, 2014 5:33 am

DL softening SDC policy, or was I just lucky?

Needed to SDC to an earlier flight for DEN-SLC, and thought there was no way I could get confirmed, as my ticket was V fare and the lowest available on Delta.dumb was showing as L (and was much more expensive than what I paid). So, called medallion line to at least get on standby list, and was told I could get confirmed seat on the new flight for $6 in taxes. My ticket still says V fare, so it wasn't that they bought me up to L.

I'm certainly not complaining, but was curious whether anyone has had a similar experience? Is it that V fare was actually available, but not showing for sale on the website (I know there's a whole thread on this), or was it just the phone agent being nice? The flight I SDCed to had more open spots than my original flight, so I see why they would be happy to change me, but this seemed to be not in line with the new policy.

jrl767 Sep 11, 2014 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd (Post 23509222)
...Is it that V fare was actually available, but not showing for sale on the website (I know there's a whole thread on this)...

this would certainly seem to be the most likely scenario, but I doubt you will get a definitive answer from anyone here

OHDL1 Sep 11, 2014 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd (Post 23509222)
Needed to SDC to an earlier flight for DEN-SLC, and thought there was no way I could get confirmed, as my ticket was V fare and the lowest available on Delta.dumb was showing as L (and was much more expensive than what I paid). So, called medallion line to at least get on standby list, and was told I could get confirmed seat on the new flight for $6 in taxes. My ticket still says V fare, so it wasn't that they bought me up to L.

I'm certainly not complaining, but was curious whether anyone has had a similar experience? Is it that V fare was actually available, but not showing for sale on the website (I know there's a whole thread on this), or was it just the phone agent being nice? The flight I SDCed to had more open spots than my original flight, so I see why they would be happy to change me, but this seemed to be not in line with the new policy.

Lucky maybe. I think you got an agent that, since the flight wasn't oversold and Y available, just overbooked V and got you on your desired flight. Maybe....that's a good question to ask when calling if all else fails..."Would you be able to overbook (whatever fare class) since Y is available?" You might find agents willing to do that if asked. RM be damned....lol.

xliioper Sep 11, 2014 5:50 am

Lots of bad info here. The fare rules for a V fare generally require an advance purchase. Often 2 or 3 weeks in advance. There can frequently be last minute V bucket availability, but you cannot actually purchase the fare due to advance purchase requirements for the V fare on that flight. There are no shenanigans being pulled here. If there are advance purchase requirements, you cannot buy the fare from any outlet without meeting that requirement. SDC does not require that the fare be available for purchase, only that there is inventory in the bucket. flightstats.com will tell which buckets have availability for a flight. You can't get that info on delta.com.

kop84 Sep 11, 2014 5:55 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 23509268)
Lots of bad info here. The fare rules for a V fare generally require an advance purchase. Often 2 or 3 weeks in advance. There can frequently be last minute V bucket availability, but you cannot actually purchase the fare due to advance purchase requirements for the V fare on that flight. There are no shenanigans being pulled here. If there are advance purchase requirements, you cannot buy the fare from any outlet without meeting that requirement. SDC does not require that the fare be available for purchase, only that there is inventory in the bucket. flightstats.com will tell which buckets have availability for a flight. You can't get that info on delta.com.

Agree 100% that's what happend^

DiverDave Sep 11, 2014 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 23509279)
Agree 100% that's what happend^

Correct. You can no longer look up fare bucket availability on expertflyer, but you can see it through flightstats.com for the time being.

David

Often1 Sep 11, 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 23509268)

+1 - DL really isn't that stupid. DL has been tough on SDC for a reason and an agent offering up an SDC without even being asked to waive a requirement is a clear sign that OP's bucket was available, but that a new purchaser would not meet the qualifications. Hence the fare is not offered for sale.

Profchemnerd Sep 11, 2014 7:25 am

Ah, that makes sense!

chunky649 Sep 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Why the $6 in taxes? Did you switch from DEN-SLC to a connecting flight? (airport tax?)

utahsnow Sep 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649 (Post 23511330)
Why the $6 in taxes? Did you switch from DEN-SLC to a connecting flight? (airport tax?)

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago when I did a SDC from SAN to SLC. The agent told me that the fare had increased and I had to pay exactly $6 in taxes.

xliioper Sep 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Perhaps due to the increase in the TSA tax on July 21st? If you bought before then, the TSA tax would have been $5 for a non-stop roundtrip ($2.50/segment). Tickets issued after July 21st would be $11.20 for non-stop roundtrip ($5.60/each way). So perhaps doing a reissue triggers the higher tax on the entire ticket ($6.20 higher for a roundtrip). Maybe DL is rounding down to $6 and eating the $.20.

BHArt Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

If the tickets were originally booked before the tax/fee changes on 7/21, probably just a re-booking required new tax rates to be charged.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-t...ets-1404341606

njcommodore Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am

New to DL, so sorry for the basic question. Couldn't find the answer elsewhere. Does DL open all (or lower fare buckets) closer to departure? I'm on a status challenge right now and am going to try to get it on segments. I've got a V fare booked on a direct flight but want a connecting for the extra segment.

howtofreetravel Sep 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 23520540)
New to DL, so sorry for the basic question. Couldn't find the answer elsewhere. Does DL open all (or lower fare buckets) closer to departure? I'm on a status challenge right now and am going to try to get it on segments. I've got a V fare booked on a direct flight but want a connecting for the extra segment.

depends on how the flight is doing but i would say rarely