Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta voucher for another person

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Using Delta voucher for another person

So I have a $700 Delta voucher. Under the terms it states that it cannot be used on other passengers unless I'm on the itinerary. The flights are $300 each. If I buy three flights, one for me, one for passenger B and $100 towards passenger C's ticket, everything should be just fine if I don't show up for the flight at all? No need for the voucher, I'm just trying to fly my s/o & his mother somewhere thanks
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
So I have a $700 Delta voucher. Under the terms it states that it cannot be used on other passengers unless I'm on the itinerary. The flights are $300 each. If I buy three flights, one for me, one for passenger B and $100 towards passenger C's ticket, everything should be just fine if I don't show up for the flight at all? No need for the voucher, I'm just trying to fly my s/o & his mother somewhere thanks
I can't give you a reliable response to the situation that you described, but congratulate you on getting a $700 voucher. The largest ones that I have been able to negotiate were for $500.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No problem. Only thing will be that you'll lose money on your ticket. ie If you no-show you lose all value of your ticket. If you cancel before you should at least be able to change your ticket for a change fee. Of course you'll have to actually pay the change fee in real money, they won't just deduct it from the value of your ticket.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Quote:

No problem. Only thing will be that you'll lose money on your ticket. ie If you no-show you lose all value of your ticket. If you cancel before you should at least be able to change your ticket for a change fee. Of course you'll have to actually pay the change fee in real money, they won't just deduct it from the value of your ticket.
Good idea, pay the same day change fee for my ticket to sometime into the future- I will do that and see what I can come up with. In the past Delta has been very kind to me so I will definitely give them a call day of departure and see what comes of it. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Good idea, pay the same day change fee for my ticket to sometime into the future- I will do that and see what I can come up with. In the past Delta has been very kind to me so I will definitely give them a call day of departure and see what comes of it. Thanks.
A same day change (called SDC for the term Same Day Confirmed) is a change to another flight to the same destination on the same day as your original flight; the fee is $50 for a non-medallion. To change to another day and destination the fee will be at least $200.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bad bargain. OP has a $700 voucher. If he noshows, he has blown $300 of it. If he changes his $300 ticket, he will need to come up with $200 more to use that $300. And, there is no guarantee that DL doesn't pick up the fact that he is no longer on the itinerary and cancels his buddies' tickets.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I would be wary of doing this. If you no-show the return flights for the other passengers could be canceled, no? And if you change would they really allow you to change just one passenger's flights without changing the others' on the same PNR?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Maybe see if you can get the itinerary split? Then you can cancel you ticket an leave others intact.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kaaria
Maybe see if you can get the itinerary split? Then you can cancel you ticket an leave others intact.
How do you split a PNR when the t&c of the voucher require that all pax be on the same PNR? Means that the other pax are cancelled on the spot. Bad idea.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by matthew64832
I would be wary of doing this. If you no-show the return flights for the other passengers could be canceled, no?
No. If one person no-shows the entire reservation for the others is not canceled. They didn't no-show.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Is there a workaround (possibly using refundable tickets etc.) to use a Delta e-cert in someone's else name? My friend has a $750 voucher and he might not be able to use it. Pls let me know. PM is fine.

Last edited by gv111; Oct 24, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by gv111
Is there a workaround (possibly using refundable tickets etc.) to use a Delta e-cert in someone's else name? My friend has a $750 voucher and he might not be able to use it. Pls let me know. PM is fine.
Unless you're booked on the same reservation, I'm pretty sure it can only be used by the person named on the voucher.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gv111
There are always workarounds - just not willing to post them in such a public place and kill them.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by rwoman
Unless you're booked on the same reservation, I'm pretty sure it can only be used by the person named on the voucher.
I didn't even think this is possible if you're on the same reservation? Since money/vouchers are applied towards tickets doesn't the voucher have to match the name on the ticket?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I didn't even think this is possible if you're on the same reservation? Since money/vouchers are applied towards tickets doesn't the voucher have to match the name on the ticket?
I believe the person named on the voucher and someone else can be on the same reservation, allowing the voucher to be used for more than just the named individual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.