FA Requires Window Shade Closed

Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
FA Requires Window Shade Closed

Hi All,

This is a new one for me. During the few times I've been in the window seat, I've had PAX reach over and try to control it. I am flying right now from Asia on a A332 on the right side of the plane. I have an empty row (2 seats). The FA came by and told me to shut the window shade. I said I did not want to shut the window shade and asked if this was a request or a flight crew instruction, as I would not want to disobey any flight crew instruction.

She told me that the instruction was I had to close the window shade half way. I proceeded to close the window shade half way to avoid any issues. Full disclosure: I don't mind if Delta puts in a policy stating that shades must be closed during X time and X time or something to the likes; it'd just be nice to have it transparent.

I'm wondering what DL's policy is on this? I want to stay awake and want the window shade completely open. I figured if others want to sleep they can put on a mask - as would be expected on most flights. I understand that it may not be the nicest thing to do but I also don't want to sleep and the natural light keeps me awake.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with a FA (again, I know there are numerous articles regarding PAX disagreements). DeltaAssist stated that whatever a FA says goes, which is also how federal law is structured.

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by mbwmbw; Sep 5, 2014 at 1:45 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
I'm sorry but: selfish much?!?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I'm a huge fan of your work Michael
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:37 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I think it's common courtesy to keep sunlight out during sleeping time on long haul flights. People pay a premium to be able to sleep and sunlight can ruin that. It's just the nice thing to do. I spend $$$ on my business tickets personally when traveling to asia and would feel like I wasted my money of I wasn't able to sleep on the flight because someone wanted to keep their window open.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Here we go again...

Originally Posted by Mdanner423
I think it's common courtesy to keep sunlight out during sleeping time on long haul flights. People pay a premium to be able to sleep and sunlight can ruin that. It's just the nice thing to do. I spend $$$ on my business tickets personally when traveling to asia and would feel like I wasted my money of I wasn't able to sleep on the flight because someone wanted to keep their window open.
What about the person who spent $$$ to sit next to the window in comfort and enjoy the view?

In re: policy, I don't think there's a DL policy either way, and I think it was improper for the FA to order you to close the shade. It really has nothing to do with the operation of the flight itself, so is it a flight instruction that you, the pax, must follow? Debatable.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Did you bring the knee protectors on-board as well?

I like to play cards on planes. I love shuffling them every few minutes at 2am on a red-eye. But that is just me.

Just close the window shade. Or leave it open, perhaps we can hit four diversions in a week (due to stuff like this). Where are you traveling in Asia to? Perhaps ANC would be a great place to stop? It's nice this time of year.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:40 am
k2

+1

If you want to keep the shade open on long haul int'l flights please sit in back.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:44 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXative
Here we go again...

What about the person who spent $$$ to sit next to the window in comfort and enjoy the view?

In re: policy, I don't think there's a DL policy either way, and I think it was improper for the FA to order you to close the shade. It really has nothing to do with the operation of the flight itself, so is it a flight instruction that you, the pax, must follow? Debatable.
So where would you draw the line? Would a passenger listening to music loud enough to disturb sleep be acceptable?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
At 30k+ feet, it can be really blinding to have "that one" shade open during "awake" hours. While I appreciate the view out the window, I know many pax, including myself, prefer a dark cabin - be it for sleeping or even just seeing the movie screen.

If I'm in the window, I may keep it open during meal service(s) when most pax are awake, but try to keep it closed the rest of the time. ESPECIALLY when the sun is on my side of the a/c.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So where would you draw the line? Would a passenger listening to music loud enough to disturb sleep be acceptable?
That works for me - loud music, heavy drinking, card playing, window shade open, beer pong, knee protectors and a hell of a party with a bunch of non-rev's in F. Sounds like a win-win.

No food for diabetic (see UA), crying baby, drunk adult, no upgrade for someone that was #1 on upgrade list (no business or concern for OP - but file a complaint with DL), etc. etc. Great week on Flyertalk! ^

Try this (I see nothing in the rules of where you are flying from - It could be a win-win, unless you do not like the Seahawks): (I don't but I entered anyway.)

I started the post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oad-games.html
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:10 am

I think if you changed "requires" to "requests" you have it about right.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by mbwmbw

DeltaAssist stated that whatever a FA says goes, which is also how federal law is structured.

Regards,

Michael
Requesting ok but lol, a FA demanding the window shades down is simply abusing her powers and i wouldn't take that FA serious anymore as a safety professional during the rest of the flight.

I spend $$$ on my business tickets personally when traveling to asia and would feel like I wasted my money of I wasn't able to sleep on the flight because someone wanted to keep their window open.
And Pax X spend $$$ on his/her BE ticket to get a window seat to properly adjust to time/enjoy the view/suffers from claustrophobia/stay awake and/or work/read with natural light.
There might be a reason why Delta hands out the eyeshades plus earplugs.

A small crowded metal tubes at 35000 feet...a guaranteed situation that you cannot please everyone

Last edited by Grouchy; Sep 5, 2014 at 5:06 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I think if you changed "requires" to "requests" you have it about right.
+1

As far as request, I have been on flights where the FA has requested that as a courtesy that you close them and then suggested half way to those who for whatever reason didn't want to completely close it.

I have also been on flights, mostly to the hot south, were the FA will ask you to close them as your taxing to the gate.

As far as requires, I seem to remember years ago when for whatever reason you were asked to open them on takeoff and landing. I always assumed it a safety precaution.

Either way, unless it is high noon, if I'm in the window seat, I always close it out of courtesy to keep the blinding light out of others eyes.

As others have said, this is another one of those issues that is sure to cause the next big dust up that will lead to a flight being diverted - Who has the right to control the window shade. Nice one mbwmbw !
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi All,

Has anyone else had an issue like this with a FA (again, I know there are numerous articles regarding PAX disagreements). DeltaAssist stated that whatever a FA says goes, which is also how federal law is structured.

Regards,

Michael
You actually sent a message to DeltaAssist over this?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
You actually sent a message to DeltaAssist over this?
As Michael is a self-declared Double Diamond DYKWIA (previous posts), are you surprised?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.