Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GoGo Report - A332 - N851NW - Satellite WiFi

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve

Crusin on the ship right now, SEA-HKG. WiFi has been mostly stable and rocking throughout the trip. Periods of disconnections but nice to be able to stay in touch with the world.

Price was ~39 for the trip; however, I was able to use my GoGo pass.

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Expensive no?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by JHIN
Expensive no?
For 13.5 hours over the pacific ocean in a tuna can? I'd pay it. Also consider that anyone on business is going to expense this, and even for a self-employed person that drops the cost by about %35 (guessing tax brackets).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
How was the latency? It could be rather long depending on how far above Earth the satellites are.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
That's actually quite a good value for 24-hour pass, if that's what OP was referring to.

Thinking aloud, I wonder what the utilization is like and impact to connection. Bigger plane + longer flight = more people connecting. Higher price = less people connecting. mbwmbw on board = FAs ignoring all other pax.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Definitely good value for $39. I used the wifi from ICN to DTW. It cut out when we were in Russian airspace. It's a good way to pass some time and to keep in touch with people. Plus, it's just fun to message someone and say, "Yo! I'm on a plane over the Pacific!"
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Despise it. Used to be one of the few places I could unplug, relax, and turn off.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Despise it. Used to be one of the few places I could unplug, relax, and turn off.
You still can. I like to have the option of wifi when I want/need to work. When I'd prefer to rest and relax, I simply choose not to use it.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by gooselee
You still can. I like to have the option of wifi when I want/need to work. When I'd prefer to rest and relax, I simply choose not to use it.
Different. A choice is a conscious act in this case of avoidance. Whereas before I could simply tell a client "I will not have wifi". It is only a matter of time before its common knowledge.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Different. A choice is a conscious act in this case of avoidance. Whereas before I could simply tell a client "I will not have wifi". It is only a matter of time before its common knowledge.
True. I suppose I perhaps have less demanding clients. I also have the fortune of doing 95% of my work domestically, where it's far easier to just drop off the grid for 2-4 hours.

Though even on my long-haul trips, my thought process would be something along the lines of: You're sending me halfway around the world to do something because you see value in it. Do you really get much more of a value add if I'm able to shoot off emails in the day it takes me to get there, especially since I'll likely be working 16-20 hours days once on the ground?

All that being said, I do fully get your point.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Flying MSP-AMS on a 333 (N811NW) and it has WiFi -- was very surprised, but happy.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Crusin on the ship right now, SEA-HKG. WiFi has been mostly stable and rocking throughout the trip. Periods of disconnections but nice to be able to stay in touch with the world.

Price was ~39 for the trip; however, I was able to use my GoGo pass.

Regards,

mbwmbw
Did you keep window shade closed for this trip?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there a 330 fleet operation thread like we have for the 777/747? I haven't been able to locate it, but would be a good place to keep track of the wifi install status.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Has Delta added wifi to any of the 777 yet?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Has Delta added wifi to any of the 777 yet?
No, at least none that have the service activated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.